Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zac911

Neck/wrist protection

I don't know about loving it.... I have been wearing one for 10 years and i really dislike them and next year in junior when i have the choice i won't wear one. However the one i am wearing now is the best one i have worn, it is a Tackla neck guard. I did take out all of the padding those so it is basically useless.

I know that I will be investing in a base layer-protective shirt ASAP. I'm one of those people that always seems to get banged up from the slightest thing. In my league we hurt ourselves without contact 50% of the time.

I wore the itech shirt for a while and loved it more then the tackla but the only problem was i found the shirt was kind of thick compared to my underarmour. When playing in a hot rink i would have to take it off and then look for a neck guard to wear.

I always just wore a headband when I had to wear a neckguard. Much more comfortable.

Something tells me that a headband would not have helped in a Zednik-like situation...

Is the Itech shirt, or any product like it, available in short-sleeve or non-compression model? I would ideally get different shirts for warm rink and cold rink games.

I always just wore a headband when I had to wear a neckguard. Much more comfortable.

Something tells me that a headband would not have helped in a Zednik-like situation...

Is the Itech shirt, or any product like it, available in short-sleeve or non-compression model? I would ideally get different shirts for warm rink and cold rink games.

i was just looking at the mission website, and they do have a short-sleeved version, but i still havent seen one with a loose-shirt model

Having seen the Malarchuk incident and now Zednik, my lack of neck protection has me a tad nervous. I know neck guards exist but I don't see anyone wearing them. For those that do wear them, which ones fit comfortably?

What happened with Malarchuk and Zednik?

i might be thinking of another related fiber..

edit: nope... did some searching around.. there are better fibers for resisting cutting and slicing. Though, there are some modifications to improve the cut resistance. At any rate, dunno how good it would do...

i might be thinking of another related fiber..

edit: nope... did some searching around.. there are better fibers for resisting cutting and slicing. Though, there are some modifications to improve the cut resistance. At any rate, dunno how good it would do...

i am not trying to create a pi$$ing contest here. i am trying to raise awareness about something that the rest of the hockey world has caught on to, but for some reason there is no mandate for youth hockey in the states. at any rate our shirts are BNQ certified and will protect against cuts/slices. i hope it never happens to you, but if it does-- hopefully you are protected. once you are cut... with your heart rate elevated.... you do not have much time. i pass on what i know because, i have been to our labs in Montreal and i see how we test our product BEFORE it even goes out to be certified.

Another thing to note is that if Zednik were playing in your average saturday night pickup game instead of the NHL, he'd very probably have been dead, as there usually aren't paramedics and doctors standing at rinkside waiting for potential injuries. It's a one in a million freak accident, but it's scary to think about it. Ugh.

Another thing to note is that if Zednik were playing in your average saturday night pickup game instead of the NHL, he'd very probably have been dead, as there usually aren't paramedics and doctors standing at rinkside waiting for potential injuries. It's a one in a million freak accident, but it's scary to think about it. Ugh.

And I'm surprised it doesn happen more often in beer leagues especially lower levels with guys falling all over the place and people trying to be hotshots and taking guys out..causing pile ups, etc.

And I'm surprised it doesn happen more often in beer leagues especially lower levels with guys falling all over the place and people trying to be hotshots and taking guys out..causing pile ups, etc.

Seriously. Also with guys showing up with a bunch of beer in them, or drinking on the bench (I guess I managed to always play pickup hockey during icetimes where this didn't happen until recently, and I can't say I enjoy it much at all).

I was already strongly considering replacing my old scratched up half visor with a full cage, and now I'm really putting thought into a neck guard. I'll have to look at some newer options like were described in this thread (thanks for posting about them, Zac911, I had no idea), because all I'm remembering are those old D&R ones that I absolutely hated back in minor hockey.

Seriously. Also with guys showing up with a bunch of beer in them, or drinking on the bench (I guess I managed to always play pickup hockey during icetimes where this didn't happen until recently, and I can't say I enjoy it much at all).

I was already strongly considering replacing my old scratched up half visor with a full cage, and now I'm really putting thought into a neck guard. I'll have to look at some newer options like were described in this thread (thanks for posting about them, Zac911, I had no idea), because all I'm remembering are those old D&R ones that I absolutely hated back in minor hockey.

i used to have the D&R when i was kid too.... lol. like i said earlier if not MIH then look at other options.

i used to have the D&R when i was kid too.... lol. like i said earlier if not MIH then look at other options.

I can still remember the first game, towards the tail end of my neck guard days, that I switched to the Itech model that was still BNQ certified, but didn't feel like I was wearing a shirt with the cardboard still in the collar. It was like a whole new world. I probably still have one of those D&Rs at my parents' house. Maybe I'll burn it.