Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

went for a skate today. there were 2 relatively novice skaters, it seemed nobody would pass to the poor guys or once they did receive a pass, some try-hard stripped them ASAP

i even felt discouraged. geesh! they ended up leaving early, and they even arrived late!

went for a skate today. there were 2 relatively novice skaters, it seemed nobody would pass to the poor guys or once they did receive a pass, some try-hard stripped them ASAP

i even felt discouraged. geesh! they ended up leaving early, and they even arrived late!

I often skate with/against guys a lot better than me... HS or even college players that drop in to sticktimes and just plain blow my doors off. So I find myself in that position every once in a while, where it seems like the game is going on without me and I'm just going through the motions without touching the puck much. But I don't leave, that would be lame. I just play harder and try to earn their respect. If no one will pass to me when I'm playing forward, I drop back and start playing D. Yeah, the real good guys will dangle on me and walk me like a mangy dog sometimes. But then every now and again I totally shut down a guy half my age who has 5 times the experience. And right after that perfect (or lucky!) poke check, I sometimes even get a "Nice D" from the guy I beat. Might only be once that whole damn night and the rest of the time I feel like a VW Bug at a Ferrari race, but that one time makes it all worthwhile. If those guys beat feet just because they couldn't keep up... doesn't bode well for their hockey future, if you ask me. I'd much rather be the one playing "up" and pushing myself to get better than to be that player that's too good to get any decent competition. At least I get a good workout that way!

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking what you're saying - your empathy is admirable and excellent, and your point of view is quite valid - it sounds like there were definitely some douchebags there who could have been more tolerant of those lower on the hockey totem pole. I'm just saying there's more than one way to look at it and the novices have to want to learn bad enough to tough it out sometimes when a shinny ends up that way... douchebags happen, after all. Or else maybe find a session that's more their speed, like a puck time or a clinic.

EDIT: Is it just me or would "Douchebags Happen" make an awesome bumper sticker?

Great perspective, Rachael!

Thursday night pickup is wild. It's totally packed, too many even for the bench; we don't fit. And seven year olds skating among the adults. That kinda sucks because you have to sort of let them go since you might get ridiculed if you don't, and they always seem to have the puck.

@ Rachael...agreed, that's a great bumper sticker. The word Douchebag seems to have a unique affinity with hockey, I hear it used so much more in hockey world than in the non-hockey world. And not just the word itself, but also its appropriations...douchey, douche-move, douche-factor, douchebaggy, douche-play, so-and-so douched-out on me, etc. What a workhorse of a word for hockey!

@ Derek...if you are new to the game I hope you are taking a clinic as well, or plan to do so, in order to learn sound fundamental skills. If you are just starting out, drop-in is a great place to learn terrible habits.

Also if you stick with the game, and it seems like you want to, get yourself onto a real team sooner than later. A real game is much different than drop-in, and in my opinion, much more fun.

Don't piss off the goalies! I seriously hate the couple douchers that come out to every drop in and start off by doing sweet dekes before hes faced his first shot and taking out of control slapshots as the goalie's digging pucks out of the net. The same idiots that whack at the goalies glove forever because there is no whistle, and everyonce in awhile crash into the goalie at full speed for no apparent reason. It's next to impossible to find two reliable goalies to show up and if one of these idiots causes one of them to stay home instead of play, I'll beat the turds out of 'em. I also get pretty irritated by guys who don't skate during crowded drop in games. If there's a ton of people on the bench you better keep your damn feet moving. There's one guy who bitches up a storm if he has to take a shift at D, but he won't ever make it past the center line towards the Off. zone and he just stands there waiting for the play to come back.

And pretty much anyone that can't keep their cool at a drop in game is an idiot. Slashing sticks and trying to start fights in drop in games should get you a parking pass for that blue spot right by the door.

I play Shinny/Pick up every Friday night and sometimes 3 times a week during the summer. It is usually pretty much the same bunch that shows up, give or take a few spares here and there. What I hate the most is getting our asses kicked and seeing players from the other team floating at the red line or our blue line waiting for breakaway passes.

I hate the same thing, except I'm the goalie getting shelled by those 2 on 1s & breakaways. Two weeks ago it was ridiculous - they were the more talented team by far, and were up a good 7 or 8 to 2, and they kept up with the goal-sucking crap. Enough is enough at some point, you know? Have a little respect for the goalies...

I hate the same thing, except I'm the goalie getting shelled by those 2 on 1s & breakaways. Two weeks ago it was ridiculous - they were the more talented team by far, and were up a good 7 or 8 to 2, and they kept up with the goal-sucking crap. Enough is enough at some point, you know? Have a little respect for the goalies...

There's a lot of that this time of year; guys trying to gear up for whatever by ripping up a casual skate and practicing their shootout moves.

Honestly, I just start cheating. Throw really stupid stuff at them - stuff that would never play in a real game: lazy poke checks, early pad-stacks, sweep-checks, totally uncalled-for Hasek-rolls, diving to pick off the pass, etc. Make the first move, make it completely bonkers, and let them work around it. You'd be surprised how often that will frustrate those sorts of mid-summer pickup superstars.

Now, having said that, I have on more than one occasion walked in on a game and been handed my hat in a matter of a half-dozen shots in spite of otherwise competent defence. At that point, there's little more to do but accept the hat, give it a little tip in the opposite direction, and resign oneself to scrubbing the burn marks off the back of one's neck.

The kind of crap Schulz describes has me leaving an empty net and heading for the LCBO faster than you can say prosecco.

guys who wear cages who show no resepct to ones with visors or nothing.

Tell me about it......I have no teeth due to these morons

Guy shows up to my uncles drop in game in complete saginaw spirit gear, including helmet. Dominates the ice, stays out for 8 minutes at a time, then ducks out 5 minutes before the horn and bails without paying. Unfortunately, the moron doesn't realize I saw his number on the back of his helmet and it took me exactly 12 seconds to figure out who he was.

Interesting, Miami. I have worked extensively on the fundamentals, and am now just learning about the game. What sorts of bad habits occur in pickup?

There's a lot of that this time of year; guys trying to gear up for whatever by ripping up a casual skate and practicing their shootout moves.

Honestly, I just start cheating. Throw really stupid stuff at them - stuff that would never play in a real game: lazy poke checks, early pad-stacks, sweep-checks, totally uncalled-for Hasek-rolls, diving to pick off the pass, etc. Make the first move, make it completely bonkers, and let them work around it. You'd be surprised how often that will frustrate those sorts of mid-summer pickup superstars.

Now, having said that, I have on more than one occasion walked in on a game and been handed my hat in a matter of a half-dozen shots in spite of otherwise competent defence. At that point, there's little more to do but accept the hat, give it a little tip in the opposite direction, and resign oneself to scrubbing the burn marks off the back of one's neck.

The kind of crap Schulz describes has me leaving an empty net and heading for the LCBO faster than you can say prosecco.

As a netminder who retired from the position last fall, there were nights where there just wasn't anything to do and I'd get lit up on easy shots and other nights were I'd give up 4 goals in an hour and a half drop in game with mediocre defense.

As for warm ups, those who tried to deek me would end up having an empty net to shoot at as I wouldn't move at all when they came in dipsy doodling.

Interesting, Miami. I have worked extensively on the fundamentals, and am now just learning about the game. What sorts of bad habits occur in pickup?

Oh man...where do I begin? Lack of hustle, puck-hogging, showboating, many guys playing out position and just roving to follow the puck, nobody back-checking, nobody passing, so on and so forth. Guys do a lot of things in drop-in that you could never get away with in a real rec-game...never mind if it was full-contact. Don't get me wrong...drop-in serves a purpose and has its place. If you just wanna have a workout or such, yes. And some games, in some places, may actually be a place to learn great habits cause everyone plays hard like they would in a real game. I play in four different rinks in NYC area and have only come across this situation once though. I went to try drop-in at a new rink in Queens, and stumbled onto a full skate of really good players...both benches full. Everyone took 45 second shifts and went balls-to-the-wall. Everyone played position, everyone passed the puck. I went back the next week and they were all gone. Turns out they were all former college/juniors players who regularly play out in Long Island, they just came out that night to the Queens rink for a change. Oh well.

That's great that you are working on fundamentals, and keep doing so. But if you want to up the challenge-level, and the fun-level, I would advise you to get on a team at some point. The goals mean something, and you are accountable your teammates. Trust me, you'll digg it.

Totally agree with above. I'm former college club level. If I play with former "real college" players solid junior or pro I play so much better. Those guys have nothing to prove...they've already done it. When I play with your usual run of the mill crowd I submit to the disoriented vibe like everyone else. It still beats work though.

Totally agree with above. I'm former college club level. If I play with former "real college" players solid junior or pro I play so much better. Those guys have nothing to prove...they've already done it. When I play with your usual run of the mill crowd I submit to the disoriented vibe like everyone else. It still beats work though.

This. By no means am I at the level of what you mentioned but when guys like that come out they're always more than willing to pass the puck and help you out and usually give you some constructive criticism or even a pat on the back for doing what you're supposed to do. Plus they make you play a lot harder. But fuck dude... when you get those beer league all star type guys who think they're The Great One, that's when shit just falls apart.

I can not wait to play for a formal team! It seems like I'll have to fork out a lot of money to do so, when the time comes.

What's this Beer League?

Kind of a big pet peeve here. Had a drop in a couple days ago and when we got to the locker room found that a XXXX, SE16, and older dolo were all stolen. Luckily my backup stick was on the bench with me, but obviously a major dick move. Rink manager says he didn't see anyone, and that was their first theft in over a year.

Not to offer unbidden advice, dsjr, but I have had some success at avoiding theft. One of the rinks I play pickup at is notorious for them, and even stupid kids from the hell-hole highschool across the street know that the biggest bag in the room with the wheels is worth the most, and is the best getaway vehicle for ill-gotten gains. My fellow goalie and I had been throwing our wallets and keys in our mask bags for years, so I figured, why not just throw both our goalie bags in the penalty box. No problem. However, the best use for the penalty box is as a pickup stick-rack. It keeps the sticks out in plain site from the ice, rather than stuck in a lockerroom around the corner. Best of all, since most guys on the ice are naturally aware of the penalty box area as one of potential complication, the awareness level is one or two points higher, so popping the door to grab another stick doesn't break up the game to much, if at all.

Not to offer unbidden advice, dsjr, but I have had some success at avoiding theft. One of the rinks I play pickup at is notorious for them, and even stupid kids from the hell-hole highschool across the street know that the biggest bag in the room with the wheels is worth the most, and is the best getaway vehicle for ill-gotten gains. My fellow goalie and I had been throwing our wallets and keys in our mask bags for years, so I figured, why not just throw both our goalie bags in the penalty box. No problem. However, the best use for the penalty box is as a pickup stick-rack. It keeps the sticks out in plain site from the ice, rather than stuck in a lockerroom around the corner. Best of all, since most guys on the ice are naturally aware of the penalty box area as one of potential complication, the awareness level is one or two points higher, so popping the door to grab another stick doesn't break up the game to much, if at all.

Yeah, my blackberry stays in my glovebox with my wallet (getting better at remembering to grab the cash first) I wear beat up workout shoes to the rink, and my spare sticks come to the bench, so I'm rarely concerned with personal theft. Penalty Box is a good idea though.

Edit: Looking back, my post leaves the wrong impression. None of the stolen sticks were mine, I was just very disappointed to see fellow skaters get ripped off. It's hard enough to find a game in the summer, without people thinking they're going to get robbed.

Yup, my stuff stays in the glove compartment. The only valuable thing that I have in the change room is my car keys. Our team always locks the change room door with a padlock. Regardless, though sh*t does happen.