Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Definitely have to go with the try-hards. I honestly don't care when a person goes all out, but when they become wreckless and challenge too hard on the boards especially beoming too hands on or physical. Not to mention, when they strip the puck off a fairly new skater EVERY time.

The thing that bothers me most is when a bunch of HS players from one or two teams show up, split themselves up by their HS team, and then stay out on the ice forever and do set plays and stuff. If I wanted to watch a high school hockey game, I would, there's a lot around. I get that it's summer and you guys want to skate but unfortunately I'm not playing with the linemates I've had since 7th grade, I just met them today and I don't even know their names. You can try out your sick plays when your team is practicing.

Anyone that plays dump and chase.

Heh, yeah, that's an annoyance when done continually.

Also, all the players on both sides usually chirp at guys that ice the puck in pickup.

The thing that bothers me most is when a bunch of HS players from one or two teams show up, split themselves up by their HS team, and then stay out on the ice forever and do set plays and stuff. If I wanted to watch a high school hockey game, I would, there's a lot around. I get that it's summer and you guys want to skate but unfortunately I'm not playing with the linemates I've had since 7th grade, I just met them today and I don't even know their names. You can try out your sick plays when your team is practicing.

You think highschoolers are bad...try showing up to a summer shinny and have a guy like Ryan Ellis (pre-draft) and a bunch of his OHL buddies on the ice with you. When I saw the guy with a Sabres gloves (because he was just back from Prospect Camp), I knew I was going to be in over my head.

I didn't touch the puck much that night :(

That was me, I'm still waiting for the damn t-shirt. And for all of you who I upset, I had used the insult before I heard it here
I just won a warrior t shirt for the your mom buys below average groceries chirp i heard on here. it was a facebook giveaway. yeehaa

I'm not buying it. :rolleyes:

I'm not buying it. :rolleyes:

Goddam, I wrote that because I had heard it on here also. I meant it as a modest post. I didn't want to brag about my chirping skills <_<

I'm not buying it. :huh:

+1 Me either. Way too odd a chirp to have spontaneously developed in two different places. When you're caught, you're caught. Own up.

Okay, I own up, buy I had heard other "Your mom is below average......." jokes. And the contest was the best chirp you've made or heard, so I heard it here. :sad:

I meant it as a modest post. I didn't want to brag about my chirping skills <_<

You know, for some reason, Modesty doesn't leap into my head when I think of words to describe your posts....

I guess you'll have to cut the T-shirt into 4,000 pieces and mail everyone a piece. :rolleyes:

Actually 9,693 pieces. If you're going to attack me, get the facts straight.

Guys that don't know/ don't try and go for posts when there is no goalie

I've seen a holes take slap shots at guys in player gear during pickup when they're in goal. Sometimes someone goes ingoal and guys take light shots or skitter them along the ice. Some people are just oblivious to the fact that shots to the chest can kill. One of the guys at my rink was killed instantly when he took a shot to the heart, with shoulder pads.

I think he was just kidding...

Guys that don't know/ don't try and go for posts when there is no goalie

I thought you ARE supposed to go for posts when there's no goalie...empty net goals are just boring.

I think he was just kidding...

I thought you ARE supposed to go for posts when there's no goalie...empty net goals are just boring.

I see that I overreacted, might get to editing that post. And I believe ibeck hates when people don't try to go for posts or don't know to go for posts.

I've seen a holes take slap shots at guys in player gear during pickup when they're in goal. Sometimes someone goes ingoal and guys take light shots or skitter them along the ice. Some people are just oblivious to the fact that shots to the chest can kill. One of the guys at my rink was killed instantly when he took a shot to the heart, with shoulder pads.

Not cool. I think it happened to Pronger too a few years ago?

Not cool. I think it happened to Pronger too a few years ago?

Yeah, it isnt. Even getting hit in the lower chest kills.

Just reread the article, the kid was hit just below the chest protector. There is even a mention of pronger's acute heart attack when he got hit with a shot

I was trying to get them to lay off you, essentially saying that it's only a T-shirt, not custom franchises.

I was trying to get them to lay off you, essentially saying that it's only a T-shirt, not custom franchises.

Oh, I guess I went overboard. Sorry, DS. Thought the rolleyes was at me.

anyone that doesn't bother to get open and forces me to dump it in

Always funny when you rip one around the boards to the guy on the other wing and he misses the puck because he's bitching about you "dumping it in". Well, I could try to pass it through five guys, or I could send it around hard enough that only you can get the puck. If you don't want the puck, I'll just keep it next time.

I'm still reading through responses, but this is a great thread.

I am new to hockey, but I can skate pretty well because I skate so much. So finally I can blend in. I have never played formal hockey, so it's just been pick-up for me so far. My experiences so far have been good ones for the most part. I don't worry about puckhogs because they're easy to take care of. If somebody is hogging the puck, it is presumably because the need to pass in not there; so I create a need to pass by playing aggressive defense. So, regarding some of my pet peeves:

1) What you guys call a "shinny" coach. This one older guy one time was yelling at people when he was on the ice. I couldn't believe I was actually witnessing this behavior. What an ass.

Funny comment about the zamboni malfunctioning when public skate precedes hockey and just before hockey. That would be awful!

2) Jerks. Jerks straight up suck, and fortunately I haven't encountered many. None come to mind apart from that aforementioned guy yelling at kids. In my experience, players have been pleasantly accommodating of my learning process.

3) Cross-checking around the net, or hitting if there's no hitting permitted. I had never been hit on the ice before, but this older guy was cross-checking me by the net. It was shocking. I wasn't braced for it at all and it was repetitious. That son of a bitch. I wanted to smash his face. Although, experiencing getting hit was the positive aspect of this experience. It just pissed me off.

4) The locker room before the session. Social anxiety I guess. It's tormenting.

5) One guy walked away with my water bottle and it had my name on it. I didn't say anything because I was totally unbraced for it.

6) My own mind is my greatest pet peeve. My fear of being a puckhog causes me to pass it even when I shouldn't. This should fade with experience. God I hate this!

I love hockey so much I am willing to put up with anything. I am just fortunate I haven't had to be tolerant; it's by and large been quite nice.

Definitely agree with this. I posted about this back in January. I went toa stick and puck NYE morning. While I was in front of the net clearing out pucks some a-hole took a slap shot. I was just turning around and it hit my square on the right side of my chest and I wasn't wearing any pads. I couldnt move that whole night and it was sore for like a month. A couple inches over and who knows maybe I wouldn't be here typing this, After it happened he barely apologized and just said "oh sorry I thought you were turning the other way".