Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

masterpeice_patrice

pick up hockey (shinny) pet peeves

Always funny when you rip one around the boards to the guy on the other wing and he misses the puck because he's bitching about you "dumping it in". Well, I could try to pass it through five guys, or I could send it around hard enough that only you can get the puck. If you don't want the puck, I'll just keep it next time.

I hate that too. I usually play D and I hate it when everybody's just standing still at the redline waiting for a pass. There are some of my friends who will skate not too far to get open and I can just riffle passes to them knowing that A) they will be open and B) I know they can catch a hard pass.

It makes things that much easier to break out and settle in the offensive zone. If forwards are just standing there waiting for a pass they are pretty much useless as if they are open they'll get checked before they can even take a couple of strides.

What pisses me off too is those who hog the puck from one goal line to the other, lose the puck at the other end and just coast back between the red line and the offense's blue line in the hope that we'll break out the play and send them on a breakaway. I usually just dump the puck to piss them off.

Holy Christ! Shots can do that? Maybe I probably ought to think twice about standing in the way of shots on defense.

The heart is a muscle, and like any other muscle on your body it can be damaged by physical trauma. Granted, it is protected by the rib cage, sternum, etc. but if the shot/impact is hard enough you can definitely expect it to be capable of doing damage.

Can enough padding that doesn't exceed practicability protect against this, or must one just hope he doesn't get obliterated?

One of my biggest peeves...big guys that can't stop! I've played in a few leagues here and there where a physically large person couldn't stop with a full head of steam because they can't skate well, and they're version of stopping is ramming into the boards. God help you if you happen to be between them and the boards when that happens. Getting checked by a decent skater is one thing, but out of control human trucks can be dangerous!

There really isn't a clear medical reason why some people take shot after shot to the chest for years with nothing more than a bruise here and there to show for it, and why a guy will take one hit just the right way and die. Wearing shoulder pads is a good idea for lots of reasons, but there really isn't a correlation between the pads and fatal hits to the chest.

All the stories I've heard of people getting hit in the chest and dying have involved the person wearing shoulder pads. To be honest that thought's always in the back of my head, but it doesn't really seem like it's something you can protect against 100% without wearing a huge amount of gear. I've been hit twice in the stomach/chest area and luckily it only bruised a little.

There really isn't a clear medical reason why some people take shot after shot to the chest for years with nothing more than a bruise here and there to show for it, and why a guy will take one hit just the right way and die.

Sure there is, it has to happen at exactly the right microsecond in order to stop your heart. Actually, the impact sends the heart into fibrillation, it doesn't actually stop the heart.The odds against it happening are astronomical and wearing a shoulder pad with plastic inserts over the heart will make it even more unlikely that it will happen.

i havent been to a drop in session in a long time, reading this thread makes me not want to go, and it's that time of year again.

Well, I am looking into getting a bullet-proof vest. I want the odds of such happening to be as remote as possible.

Wow, so I read this thread last night, and prior to it pick-up has been smooth and harmonious in my experience. Not tonight. Somebody had mentioned goalies complaining about bad defense. I didn't believe it. He was absolutely pissed, cursing and all. Another guy flipped out when somebody slashed him. He threw his stick at the wall behind the bench, slammed the door twice, and stormed off.

My biggest pet peeve is people who complain, especially if in the manner of being uncivilized about it. This is paradoxical because I have to complain in order to even express the thought, but so be it. Complainers suck. Having said that, you all seem great and I agree with your animadversions. Man, some of these guys are such bitches. I even asked the goalie what specifically he was upset about so that I could fix my defense next time around, seeing as I was on the team he was bitching about. Yeah, he didn't help.

Well, I am looking into getting a bullet-proof vest. I want the odds of such happening to be as remote as possible.

Ummm... maybe a bit overkill. I'd look into something like the EvoShield padded shirt. The pads form to the shape of your body and form a hard barrier between your chest and the puck which helps disperse the impact.

Link: EvoShield Padded Shirt

Pretty sure if you wore a bullet proof vest out on the ice, your odds of dying from heat exhaustion are far greater than taking a shot to the chest without one...

Wow, so I read this thread last night, and prior to it pick-up has been smooth and harmonious in my experience. Not tonight. Somebody had mentioned goalies complaining about bad defense. I didn't believe it. He was absolutely pissed, cursing and all. Another guy flipped out when somebody slashed him. He threw his stick at the wall behind the bench, slammed the door twice, and stormed off.

My biggest pet peeve is people who complain, especially if in the manner of being uncivilized about it. This is paradoxical because I have to complain in order to even express the thought, but so be it. Complainers suck. Having said that, you all seem great and I agree with your animadversions. Man, some of these guys are such bitches. I even asked the goalie what specifically he was upset about so that I could fix my defense next time around, seeing as I was on the team he was bitching about. Yeah, he didn't help.

I cut the shoulder caps off a pair of old Wilsons from the 70's so I essentially have a chest protector with no bulk at all. If the slash was malicious the dude shouldn't have taken it out on his stick/wall. I'm not saying he should have dropped his gloves and pounded the guy immediately, but there has to be accountability. Let him know it was BS. At the very least, I'm not letting him get near the puck without being right on him for a few shifts. As far as the goalies complaining about D at pick up, that usually happens when they're not playing well either.

Are you worried about lightning hitting you every time you leave your house? There's probably more chance of that happening.

Ah man complainers. There's a guy who comes out pretty often that will complain when he gets to the bench if someone didn't pass him the puck. According to him he's always open so there's no reason not to give him the puck.

Thanks for the link. I'll get that instead.

Today was opposite last night. It was totally pleasant, and everybody was cordial and kind. And nobody complained, which was not so much the result of it being pleasant but the cause.

Nothing major, but I hate when you drive an hour to stick time and no goalies show up, or there are no good players there you can even play a decent game of 4v4 or 3v3 with. Kinda disappointing. And also to the guy wanting to wear the bulletproof vest while playing, you realize that when they say "shooting" or "shot" the puck it's a figurative term right? As others have said, the chances of you getting hit in the chest with a puck and having it stop your heart is extraordinarily slim, that's why you don't hear of it happening very often.

As a side note, there was a girl receiving lessons on one end of the ice during pick up today, I'd say she didn't seem older than maybe a sophomore or junior in HS, but she had some real quick feet and she could absolutely ROCKET the puck. So that was pretty cool to see.

I'm not really concerned about dying; I am concerned about getting hit with a rocket of a puck. I don't want to deal with that shit and I won't tolerate a possible injury that keeps me from playing.

I am concerned about my skill level at times. Because I am new, some days I just don't handle the puck adeptly. But when I do, the other players are very pleased and tell me I did well. I can't wait til I can stickhandle well consistently.

I coordinate 2 pick-up games a week, and I work to get two goalies for each game. What really irritates me is when a third/fourth goalie drops in. Some goalies get pissed when extras show up, and I've learned that goalies are the last ones to anger. There are a lot fewer goalies to be had than skaters.

I wonder how a bullet-proof vest would work. Has anybody tried it?

A kevlar ballistic vest by itself works by preventing bullets or fragments from penetrating its weave. This will not protect you from a puck impact.

The ESAPI plates (ceramic armour) that are usually mounted in the ballistic vest would disperse the puck impact, but would be too heavy for hockey.