Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ahearn10

Custom skates

Usually I do, but it had been a busy week and I was stuck in a pinch. Somehow they managed to turn my 11' radius into something longer than 14'. No idea how they managed that, they guys at West Side couldn't believe I could turn at all.

What did you get done? Could've been an off-the-rack pair.

Size 10D Left, 10 3/4D Right, and increased volume with different tongues. The toebox might be wider, but I'm not sure.

Did you get yours done at EWH?

What did you get done? Could've been an off-the-rack pair.

Size 10D Left, 10 3/4D Right, and increased volume with different tongues. The toebox might be wider, but I'm not sure.

Did you get yours done at EWH?

Yes.

Just go to your LHS and ask them. If they do not know, have them bring in their sales rep to do the fitting. They are trained how to do it.

I went to my local shop yesterday and inquired about preordering One95's in a custom size. They said they could order skates in different sizes for me (one foot is a full size larger than the other one) and mentioned a "tracing" and then said I didnt need it after they measured my feet.

Question: What does the tracing accomplish?

The LHS seemed a little weary of doing anything other than a 9D/10D order.

If anyone can help me, do you know any good LHS in the tri-state area that do custom fit skates. Preferably closer to NYC. I want to get custom fitted XXXX's. I'm on stock xxx's now. My dad raised me a bauer boy. I've always worn bauers but if i switch it would only be to grafs. I need a good spot in NYC that KNOWS skates and fitting.

try www.wsskate.com. they're in manhattan, and they do graf. they just built/fitted my skates. nice clean job, and they feel great. pic

If anyone can help me, do you know any good LHS in the tri-state area that do custom fit skates. Preferably closer to NYC. I want to get custom fitted XXXX's. I'm on stock xxx's now. My dad raised me a bauer boy. I've always worn bauers but if i switch it would only be to grafs. I need a good spot in NYC that KNOWS skates and fitting.

try www.wsskate.com. they're in manhattan, and they do graf. they just built/fitted my skates. nice clean job, and they feel great. pic

I'm surprised that the New York metro area doesnt have more serious hockey shops considering the number of people that play in NYC. I'm guessing the NYPD and NYFD all have some pretty competitive leagues.

There are some pretty competitive leagues here in NYC. There is one "Elite" league that is made up mosly of guys who played juniors, college, minor pro or both. The NYPD and NYFD teams both play in that league. The leagues are over at Chelsea Piers, which is the problem because the pro shop there is horrible.

There are some pretty competitive leagues here in NYC. There is one "Elite" league that is made up mosly of guys who played juniors, college, minor pro or both. The NYPD and NYFD teams both play in that league. The leagues are over at Chelsea Piers, which is the problem because the pro shop there is horrible.

If some enterprising hockey guy wanted to make a little $$$. He'd buy the shop..What a great location, too bad the current owners/management arent taking advantage of that.

I looked up Chelsea Piers and the league website. I've heard of a couple of those guys. Mike Klema being one of them. Roseau, MN is a long ways from NYC.

If some enterprising hockey guy wanted to make a little $$$. He'd buy the shop..What a great location, too bad the current owners/management arent taking advantage of that.

I would certainly think the financing could be raised, but my guess is that location is a bit of a cash cow given the location and the owners probably aren't in a hurry to give it up. Considering you have up to 8 divisions of mens league each season (fall and spring), another 4 or 5 in the summer, not to mention whatever youth hockey goes on there. Plus given the fact that there are not many other places to buy gear in NYC. I would love if someone that knows what they're doing would buy the place though.

I would certainly think the financing could be raised, but my guess is that location is a bit of a cash cow given the location and the owners probably aren't in a hurry to give it up. Considering you have up to 8 divisions of mens league each season (fall and spring), another 4 or 5 in the summer, not to mention whatever youth hockey goes on there. Plus given the fact that there are not many other places to buy gear in NYC. I would love if someone that knows what they're doing would buy the place though.

Someone could put a shop in the area..Maybe across the street or a couple blocks away. Who knows?

I'm still curious to know what I should expect the mark up to be for getting customs. Does it vary based on the specifics that you get or is it one price no matter the options you choose?

It will vary from store to store, depending on what you want done and which company you go with. It's not a 'mark up', it's a fee.

It will vary from store to store, depending on what you want done and which company you go with. It's not a 'mark up', it's a fee.

It's an additional cost for having them customized. Some choose to double it and mark it up (and that's their choice) but I don't.

West Side Skate does an excellent job fitting skates. I believe they can do customs as well, but not sure what brands they have other than Graf. I do know they will work and work on a stock booth to make sure it fits and they are the ONLY skate shop in NYC that try to take care of their customers. The other shops as far as I'm concerned might as well be selling cars with the service they provide.

Here is their site: West Side Skate

Just go to your LHS and ask them. If they do not know, have them bring in their sales rep to do the fitting. They are trained how to do it.

JR, I only wish you visited the local shops in the NY area. A sales rep to come in and do a fitting??? No way.

The shops I have walked into ask you a size, and give you a box with a pair of skates in that size. Then it's off to the register to pay. Fitting? Non-existent.

That's why I'm a fan of West Side Skate, they actually care. I am in no way affiliated with them and I carry around their business cards in my hockey bag. I see guys at the rink in skates that are obviously a poor fit and just hand out cards.

I wish there were more people like you and them, especially closer to my house or office.

Do you Play at Aviator, If you do I think I know you, I forgot your name but your an Islander fan, you have blue and orange eagles. You work for EMS. This is Jeremy, anyway I know about WS Skate, thats where I get my skates sharpened. They are awsome, but they only do custom fits for Grafs and I rather get XXXX's.

The Wonderland at chelsea might suck at sharpening, all they need is the right employee, but they have a sick selection of equipment. They have sick hookups with equipment, a little expensive but sick. They are getting me a pair of Bauer Pro Defender SDB shoulder pads for me. These are impossible to find.

Do you Play at Aviator, If you do I think I know you, I forgot your name but your an Islander fan, you have blue and orange eagles. You work for EMS. This is Jeremy, anyway I know about WS Skate, thats where I get my skates sharpened. They are awsome, but they only do custom fits for Grafs and I rather get XXXX's.

The Wonderland at chelsea might suck at sharpening, all they need is the right employee, but they have a sick selection of equipment. They have sick hookups with equipment, a little expensive but sick. They are getting me a pair of Bauer Pro Defender SDB shoulder pads for me. These are impossible to find.

I do play at Aviator, but you are thinking of my friend Axe.

I believe there was a guy on this board who got custom Tacks from WSS, it was a thread from a few days ago I believe, I could be wrong though.

I would not trust the guys at Chelsea to order custom skates for me. I would go to Long Island or Jersey to a real skate shop if I was not using WSS.

Good luck though.

I went to my local shop yesterday and inquired about preordering One95's in a custom size. They said they could order skates in different sizes for me (one foot is a full size larger than the other one) and mentioned a "tracing" and then said I didnt need it after they measured my feet.

Question: What does the tracing accomplish?

The LHS seemed a little weary of doing anything other than a 9D/10D order.

I am going to attempt to answer my own question I guess...

Do they build boot based on the tracing of your foot? For example I have wide heels and a narrow forefoot. I need an EE heel and a D rest of skates. If I got a trace, Would the boot be shaped that way?

The best spot I think is Cosby's under MSG. There is this really fat black guy named chris, who used to work at chelsea before wonderland bought it. He fit me for Supreme 8000's. He's alittle snappy but he sat with me for an hour making sure I got the right size. He now works at cosbys, I talk to him everytime I go to a Ranger game, he's a cool dude and he knows alot about skates.

Cosby's is MAD expensive but if they do customs, I think I might go there. I TRUST this guy to do it.

Yes, a last is constructed using the measurements/trace.

ONE95 custom skate orders will be fulfilled in June. I can submit now but that would be the ship date.

My shop told me that whether I ordered last weekend when I was there or in April when the skates come out, I would get a customer order in June. They said that I did not need a trace, but I did not understand their point and I could tell they did not handle custom orders alot which makes me nervous.

I am all in for getting custom skates but I want to be educated before I waste a weeek's pay...

1. If my feet are more or less a D width and my issue is the length of my feet, will I gain anything from tracing?

2. How is the payment normally worked? When I ordered custom goalie gear in the past, I gave the shop a down payment and paid the balance when they came in. This shop wanted $650 upfront for the custom order, is that fishy?

3. Any other advise from people who have ordered custom NBH skates in the past?

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for the full payment up front on a custom order. Once they place the order, they're on the hook for paying the manufacturer.

Yes - because traces will show any bumps and the overall shape of your foot. Remember, they will make the skate to your foot, so why NOT trace?

I take full payment - it's not like I can put the skate on the rack if you don't like it or change your mind.