Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shooter27

New Golf Clubs Opinions?

Ok so I'm treating myself to a new set of golf sticks. I've been playing midsized irons for about the last 7 years, back when I got the clubs I was playing about 2x a week and was around a 10 handicap. Today I play a lot less frequently and probably play more like an 18-20 handicap (sad regression, I know). So I'm looking at buying a set of new "game-improvement" irons, some of those oversized ones that will hopefully give me some more forgiveness on mishits. The list I've got so far includes:

Ping G10

Callaway X-20 / FT

TaylorMade R7 / Burnner XD

Clevland CG

Wilson Ci7

Mizuno MX-25

Anyone have any thoughts and anything else I should be looking at? I'm also looking at a drivers and fairway woods too.

Thanks

See if you can find a demo day at one of your local courses or driving ranges so you can try the clubs for yourself. What works for one person isn't always going to work for another.

i have a set of x20s and they are nice, but not giving me what im looking for, i went to a golf shop and hit every club there. for my prefrence which is good solid feel with it still being forgiving, the new taylormade tour burners, and the cleveland cg golds were the nicest 2 sets out of allll of the sets. as for drivers and woods, i have the 08 cleveland xls hibore driver, 3 wood, and 2i hybrid. great set and not obnoviously priced but i did get the hybrid for free.

I have x20s also, I love them pretty much the perfect irons for me they give me every thing im looking for. I Also have the Cleveland Launcher Comp Driver and X20 3 and 5 woods.

Also love my x20's. I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't like the hybrids so I picked up a used Cleveland 3 iron from my local Golfsmith. Also have a x460 driver which is pretty sweet as well.

Also love my x20's. I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't like the hybrids so I picked up a used Cleveland 3 iron from my local Golfsmith. Also have a x460 driver which is pretty sweet as well.

I haven't been able to find a hybrid that I can hit well, thank god I can hit my 4 Iron 220 or so. I played yesterday with some guys that I never met before and used my 4 iron on a couple of holes because of the layout and ended up out driving their fairway woods and drivers. I have a callaway hybrid that is about to get tossed. It was ok on the range when I bought it but I have no confidence in it now.

That's pretty impressive to get distance like that with a 4 iron. I'm with ya thoughh. I'm much more comfortable using a 3 iron than a hybrid. I just find the overall feel uncomfortable and I think it's harder to hit the ball straight with the hybrids. I don't play all that often but I play with the same guys all the time and I mostly tee off with the 3 iron and find that I can hit it further and straighter than they do with their drivers.

the only time i bring out my hybrid is when im 250-275 out fluffed up in the rough with a straight shot at the pin, i cant hit the damn thing off the fairway, i can get my 3i about 210ish 230 if all the stars are aligned but im with you guys on using irons over hybrids.

I'm in the old Callaway X-16's and I hit them beautifully. I'm intrigued by the new X-20's, but I hit the 16's so well....why mess with an already great thing? But for drivers...love my Taylor Made R7

I'm in the old Callaway X-16's and I hit them beautifully. I'm intrigued by the new X-20's, but I hit the 16's so well....why mess with an already great thing? But for drivers...love my Taylor Made R7

I didn't notice much of a difference between the X16's and X20's... I just like the way Callaway clubs feel and perform. If it aint broke don't fix it!

check www.carlsgolfland.com i was there today looking at all the wedges but i was more focused on cleveland and the new callaway x wedges. but they are always well priced there and have the best selection i know of.

IMO Mizuno makes a top notch set of irons. Everyone i've hit has felt awesome, then again some of my friends can't stand mizuno because of the weight and balance of them.

I had the Nike Ignites which were pretty good GI irons, but I swhicthed over to the pro-combo's just recently

I'm going to kind of go against the consensus here about the X20s. I've personally never hit them, but did hit every one before it 12, 14, 16, and 18, and never really liked any of them. On the other hand I've hit Taylor Made R7, R7 TP and currently switch between TP Combo and TP MBs; all of which I can say I've liked more than any Callaway iron. Mizuno irons are always solid feeling IMO though if you're looking for game improvement I guess it is hard to be a mid-size or oversized Callaway/Taylor Made product.

My friend, who rarely plays, has a set of Callaway Big Bertha's that he loves. That is pretty much their ultimate budget/game improvement iron. So you may consider that too if forgiveness is what you're looking for.

Ok so I'm treating myself to a new set of golf sticks. I've been playing midsized irons for about the last 7 years, back when I got the clubs I was playing about 2x a week and was around a 10 handicap. Today I play a lot less frequently and probably play more like an 18-20 handicap (sad regression, I know). So I'm looking at buying a set of new "game-improvement" irons, some of those oversized ones that will hopefully give me some more forgiveness on mishits. The list I've got so far includes:

Ping G10

Callaway X-20 / FT

Clevland CG

Wilson Ci7

Mizuno MX-25

Anyone have any thoughts and anything else I should be looking at? I'm also looking at a drivers and fairway woods too.

Thanks

I think you can still find new sets on Ebay cheap, and if you can, the Tommy Armour 845U is a tough game improvement set to beat.

Ping G10

Callaway X-20 / FT

Clevland CG

Wilson Ci7

Mizuno MX-25

Thanks

I think you can still find new sets on Ebay cheap, and if you can, the Tommy Armour 845U is a tough game improvement set to beat.

I love my old Armour Evo forged blades. Absolutely the best short irons I've ever played.

You don't have these listed, but I'm pretty sure in the Golf Digest magazine they had the Cobra S9 as the best game improvement iron's. I haven't used them personally but it's a pretty reliable source.

You don't have these listed, but I'm pretty sure in the Golf Digest magazine they had the Cobra S9 as the best game improvement iron's. I haven't used them personally but it's a pretty reliable source.

He's right, Cobra irons are very underated. Check out the S9 or the FP, my dad just got the FP, I was suprised how forgiving they are.

Thanks for the opinions everyone. At the end of the day I went to one of those computerized fitting places that used all the cameras and technology to attempt to find me the right clubs and I ended up with a complete set of Talyor Mades.

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5 Stiff

3 Wood: Tour Burner Stiff

Hybrid: Burner 3-iron equivalent

Irons: Burner XD 4-PW

Wedges: Z-TP 52*, 56*, 60*

Still looking at putters, I've narrowed it down to the Scotty Cameron Studio Series Newport 2, or the Ping Redwood Anser.

So far, I've actually picked up about 10 yards of distance with each club and the forgiveness has improved a ton. Beat my previous personal best by 4 shots the first time I played with the new clubs.

Still looking at putters, I've narrowed it down to the Scotty Cameron Studio Series Newport 2, or the Ping Redwood Anser.

I just picked up a Ping UG-LE a couple weeks ago and it's amazing. Looks goofy as hell but Haven't had a three putt since I got it. Try them both and see what rolls the best for you and your stroke.

if you're looking at putters, I suggest you take a look at the Taylor Made Rossa series. The insert is very nice, not super soft like alot of others. very happy with mine (Modena 8 model)