Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shooter27

New Golf Clubs Opinions?

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5 Stiff

3 Wood: Tour Burner Stiff

Hybrid: Burner 3-iron equivalent

Irons: Burner XD 4-PW

Wedges: Z-TP 52*, 56*, 60*

woo you had an expensive day at the golf shop eh? but very nice pick ups. did you get the new burner irons? i was looking at the tour burners and thoes hit niiice

dont mean to bump an old thread but i have come across an offer to get new custom clubs as a welcoming present to my new job from my boss (who is conviently my grandfather) and i was curious is anyone had any first hand experience useing the taylormade tour burner irons. i was also curious if you can get a custom made driver. ive hit everything on the range and it seems like im looking at the tour burner driver, 3 wood, possibly a hybrid, 3-p then a sand and a gap. another question is im indecisive as for what shaft i should get on the driver. my head speed is about 123 mph would that constitute an XS shaft or just a S shaft? any help is much appreciated.

-Garett

I had the old Tour Burners (about 5 years ago) and they are fantastic hitting forged irons. But like any forged blade, off center and you are in trouble and the resonance carried through the shaft into your hands is pretty harsh. I'm not a scratch golfer, and these might of been a touch over my head (11 handicap...mainly due to my majority of 2-3 putts). It got to the point for me that playing with them in a mild climate like NJ exacerbated the resonance due to the colder temperatures and I went with the Callaway X series instead, which hit every bit as solid, but not the distance that I could get on a solid hit with the Tour's. If you are a great golfer....great clubs. If not.....I'd look for something cavity backed as these could hinder your ability to progress.

dont mean to bump an old thread but i have come across an offer to get new custom clubs as a welcoming present to my new job from my boss (who is conviently my grandfather) and i was curious is anyone had any first hand experience useing the taylormade tour burner irons. i was also curious if you can get a custom made driver. ive hit everything on the range and it seems like im looking at the tour burner driver, 3 wood, possibly a hybrid, 3-p then a sand and a gap. another question is im indecisive as for what shaft i should get on the driver. my head speed is about 123 mph would that constitute an XS shaft or just a S shaft? any help is much appreciated.

-Garett

go to your local golf shop and have them fit you for clubs. I had my irons custom made about 15 years ago and have never been unhappy with them. They will check your swing speed, height and lie and get you set up with the propper gear including the right grip thickness. There is not much the regular guy can get custom made on a driver that will help and be worth the expense. Don' get sucked into the shaft stiffness either. The shaft has to work in combination with the loft. One club may have an XS shaft with a 10.5 loft while another has a S shaft and a 8.5 loft, you may hit one better than the other because of the right combination. I played a PING Ti driver for many years. It was a XXS shaft with an 8.5 loft. I now use a Cobra with an R shaft and 10.5 loft and hit it farther and better.

If you are not a scratch player (or even close) don't get a tour player caliber, forged iron. Get a good cavity backed, perimeter weighted iron that is designed for the average player, it is easier to hit and much more forgiving. I prefer steel shafts for my irons because they are more consistant in feel than carbon fiber. Right now I have Driver - 3 - 4+ - 18 degree hybrid and 3-SW. I'll probably drop my 4+ and get another wedge and like the hybrid (just replaced my 2 iron with it) so much I'll get rid of my 3 iron for a 22 degree.

im not a profesional by anymeans but ive shot 6 or 7 under par a few times on some pretty prestigeious courses in michigan, a few weeks ago i shot 5 under at the country club of detroit which is a land locked course where you need the ability to move the ball around and control you approach shots to hold the greens. and then obviously i play the public crum bum courses and hack around there. my longest drive this season was 376 yards (elevated tee, wind at my back, all the stars aligned) but i feel that the cross between the blade and the cavity back that the tour burners have will allow me to work the ball around when i need to and give me a pure feel for the ball, put some real spin on the ball and get the most out of my distance that i can. I have the x20s and I agree they feel great but the sole on them is so thick and so heavy that they are almost too forgiving and not high enough performance for me to really up my game like i want to.

does anyone know about my driver questions?

go to your local golf shop and have them fit you for clubs. I had my irons custom made about 15 years ago and have never been unhappy with them. They will check your swing speed, height and lie and get you set up with the propper gear including the right grip thickness. There is not much the regular guy can get custom made on a driver that will help and be worth the expense.

i already know my specifications for my custom clubs, i used to work at a golf course and i am good friends with the pro Randy Erksine. i need a stiff steel shaft, +3 degrees upright, standard size golfpride multicompound grip, and plus 1/2 inch. i just didnt ask him about the driver

I have been and on and off scratch golfer ( depends on how much I am playing at the time) and can't play anything other then blades. Really I would go with something that you have played before. I don't mean use an old club, but if you have been playing with forged clubs in the past, I wouldn't go with something that is cast. Callaway makes a new forged iron that is a little more forgiving then say a Mizuno MP 32, or you can even look at something like the Mizuno MP 60 which is a small cavity back, but is still forged and uses their muscle back technology. I have been a Mizuno guy for years and there is a reason why it is a widely played Iron on tour and they make some for all levels.

On a side note, drivers can be tweeked in all sort of ways. You should go do get on a launch monitor at a local pro shop. They will charge you a fitting fee, but you will run through a lot of different club heads and shaft conbinations to figure out what produces the proper spin rate as well as launch angle for your swing.

My buddy just got a set of Titleist ZM (muscle) irons a couple weeks ago. In all honesty, he's not a very good golfer...and I had warned him that he wasn't going to get the forgiveness he needs from them. He didn't listen to me, and - wouldn't you know it - he can't hit them.

Luckily, I think he's ready to give-up on them soon, which means he might be willing to throw them my way for a pretty good price. I took them for a spin a couple days ago and really, really liked them. They were/are weighted a bit differently than what I was used to, so the club head was a little harder to control at first, but once I made the adjustment they became some of the best clubs I've ever hit. The feel and workability was remarkable, and I was able to control the height of my shots incredibly well (I have a tendency to hit the ball very high, even when I don't necessarily want to); it was a windy day, and I was able to keep the ball down with the wind in my face, and really go after it with the wind at my back, and really hit the ball however I wanted.

I did miss a couple balls, and pretty much got what you would expect out of those shots - I usually just ended-up a bit short and right of where I wanted to be...nothing TOO costly, but definitely enough to let people know you didn't hit your shot. Depending on the shot you're going after and the circumstances (bunkers/rough, green, pin location, etc., etc.), a half-way decent golfer won't get into anything too disastrous.

im not a profesional by anymeans but ive shot 6 or 7 under par a few times on some pretty prestigeious courses in michigan

6 or 7 UNDER? Jesus man, that's some low scores. I'd be looking at blades for sure. Driver's are too complicated to make a simple suggestions, like what everybody else is saying, go put yourself on a launch monitor somewhere with a decent club fitter and they'll have you test out all kind of combinations to see what works best.

Paradise Park in Novi and the putt-putt course at Mulligan's in Auburn Hills don't count as prestigious.

im not a profesional by anymeans but ive shot 6 or 7 under par a few times on some pretty prestigeious courses in michigan

haha comeon jr you can hate on me, youve never golfed with me, and when i say 6 or 7 under it has happened 3 times. there are days when im on, and then there are days where im off. alcohol generally has something to do with my higher scores but happens to everyone right? id like to say my average score is 2-5 over with a few exceptions when i string 3 or 4 birdies in a row or even throw an eagle or 2 in the mix.

I have been and on and off scratch golfer ( depends on how much I am playing at the time) and can't play anything other then blades. Really I would go with something that you have played before. I don't mean use an old club, but if you have been playing with forged clubs in the past, I wouldn't go with something that is cast. Callaway makes a new forged iron that is a little more forgiving then say a Mizuno MP 32, or you can even look at something like the Mizuno MP 60 which is a small cavity back, but is still forged and uses their muscle back technology. I have been a Mizuno guy for years and there is a reason why it is a widely played Iron on tour and they make some for all levels.

I hit up the Ping van at a fitting a couple months back and the S59s are one hell of a blade.

haha comeon jr you can hate on me, youve never golfed with me, and when i say 6 or 7 under it has happened 3 times. there are days when im on, and then there are days where im off. alcohol generally has something to do with my higher scores but happens to everyone right? id like to say my average score is 2-5 over with a few exceptions when i string 3 or 4 birdies in a row or even throw an eagle or 2 in the mix.

Bro, I'm just talkin smack. You know it's my job to hate on you. I miss the dome at Mulligan's.

I'm using the following, all of which I can highly recommend to anyone looking for new clubs. 2 handicap myself.

Woods: TaylorMade Burner Tour TP, TaylorMade R580 3 wood, TaylorMade Rescue TP 19 degree Hybrid

Irons: Cleveland CG1 Black - I've never hit irons like this in my life. Ball just flies and these suckers put a wonderful amount of spin of the ball.

Wedges: 56 and 60 degree Cleveland 588 blacks.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura.

Like I said all of these clubs, I would highly recommend people to take some swings with. The Burner Tour TP is a wonderful driver as is the non-TP version, however if you try it, it does take some getting used to being as it is incredibly light. I'm a long ball hitter, and was averaging about 320-325 with my old Cobra, this one I hit straighter and about 10 yards longer. My 3 wood is a couple years old now, but so help me God, it still gets the job done better than any I've tried. The rescue club has been a perfect alternative for tee shots for me. I've found I can work the ball however I need and hit it 245-260 everytime. The irons like I mentioned put a great amount of spin on the ball, but thats Cleveland grooves for you. This took me a while to get used to coming from TaylorMade muscleback RAC's, where I could spin the ball, but not drop and stop. These Clevelands hit and stop. Wedges, same as the irons.

Also to the member who mentioned Carl's Golfland as a place to go, I couldn't agree more. Friendly staff and you can take all the time you'd like with the clubs you've chosen to try. All the best, hope you find the clubs you're looking for.

-Garett

G, for what its worth, if you are looking for woods, check out the Exotics line by Tour Edge. try out the XCG fairway woods series. i think you'd be rather impressed. The Exotics Blade irons are rather nice too. i was hitting half of a set last fall. ended up going with their EX-1 irons until i can get the game back on track a little better. i will probably get 6-pw in the blade next year.

i know Carls has the XCG woods, and i believe the EX-1 irons. not sure about the blades though. www.touredge.com look at the exotics page.

PM me if you've got any other questions.

I hit up the Ping van at a fitting a couple months back and the S59s are one hell of a blade.

S59's are not forged though, which is why I don't play any PING products. I really need the feel and feedback that a forged iron provides and is why as far as blades go on tour, Mizuno is #1

S59's are not forged though, which is why I don't play any PING products. I really need the feel and feedback that a forged iron provides and is why as far as blades go on tour, Mizuno is #1

I've used forged blades (still have two sets in the closet) and I would pick the S59s over them. The feel is excellent for a cast product.

Forged vs. Cast is a myth....there was a test done with Ray Floyd I believe, two exact same irons, except one was forged and one was cast, and he couldn't tell the difference.

Forged vs. Cast is a myth....there was a test done with Ray Floyd I believe, two exact same irons, except one was forged and one was cast, and he couldn't tell the difference.

Some people can, some can't. Just because one pro can't tell the difference doesn't mean that other pros or amateurs can't feel the difference.

No, it's not that. Forged irons are USUALLY made of a lower carbon steel, which is softer, and thus easier to forge. Castings are usually made from a higher carbon steel, because the casting process is difficult and results in more rejects when you use a low carbon steel.

The problem is that you do see some forgings with a higher carbon content steel, and you see some castings with a lower carbon content steel....so to associate 'feel' or 'softness' strictly with a forged versus a cast club isn't really correct.

Also, with a casting you can make pretty much any shape you want, so with the fairly recent introduction of super game improvement irons with all kinds of funky designs...those are all cast. Forging usually results in a more traditional shape, which is typically less forgiving and harder to hit than the big cast irons. So again, you have people associating forged irons as being 'hard to hit', when in reality it is the design of the iron and not the process used to create it that determines how difficult it is to hit correctly.

Also love my x20's. I think I'm one of the only people who doesn't like the hybrids so I picked up a used Cleveland 3 iron from my local Golfsmith. Also have a x460 driver which is pretty sweet as well.

I haven't been able to find a hybrid that I can hit well, thank god I can hit my 4 Iron 220 or so. I played yesterday with some guys that I never met before and used my 4 iron on a couple of holes because of the layout and ended up out driving their fairway woods and drivers. I have a callaway hybrid that is about to get tossed. It was ok on the range when I bought it but I have no confidence in it now.

Try the Sonartec hybrids ... I also tossed the Callaway hybrid. Picked up a Sonartec hybrid cheap on Ebay and it's been in the bag ever since.

ive worked at a golf retailer and i have to say hands down the most cost effective game improvement irons out there gotta be the lingering X-18's. at 499 for steel and no more than 799 for graphite they are more than reasonable for the callaway name and tech. thick topline, solid sizedsoles and only half shaft offset make them game improvement clubs but nowhere near the oversized 2 inch thick soled clubs some of the manufacturers are spitting out these days

I've never understood how a golfer could feel comfortable over a club with a topline that wide. It feels like you're trying to swing a toaster.

I've never understood how a golfer could feel comfortable over a club with a topline that wide. It feels like you're trying to swing a toaster.

bigger is better.... right?