Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
JR Boucicaut

Blackstone Flat-Bottom V Thread

I also noticed a loss of the edge more quickly than with a regular sharpening.

Is this normal?

Depends on how you skate and how much you let your edges degrade with a traditional sharpening.

I am having a hard time with all these people needing them to be sharpened so much I am on for 2 hours a min of 2 times a week and have sharpened mine 2 times since January?

Now my players need it more often as they are knocking skates against objects and they are playing JR A but for the average guy I cant see they need to be done so often?

*Shrug* It's just some people. I go forever between sharpening. I would go a month or more between them while being on the ice 5.5 hours a week during high school. If I didn't work in a shop and was able to just do my skates whenever I wanted I probably would still be on that relative schedule. The idea that steel would need replacing before the boot absolutely baffled me.

Agreed.

I have used mine since January as well...only had them done once more since having the original FBV put on them, and that had more to do with playing shinny outdoors.

My son needs them done from skate to skate contact causing nicks, not because he has lost an edge. He is on the ice about 6-7 hours/week, and we are getting them done about every week and a half...so say about every 10 hours. That was the same when he skated on a regular 1/2 inch.

I have no problem with the durability.

Well, I tried the 100/75 for my game tonight, and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sharp for me. My old man glide stops were replaced by having to position my body to try to prevent spilling over caught ankles. I spent my time on the bench rubbing the blade against the wood on the bench trying to dull them up a little.

There's a huge difference between the 90/75 and the 100, that's for sure. Is there an MSH approved way of taming the edges down a bit?

Well, I tried the 100/75 for my game tonight, and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sharp for me. My old man glide stops were replaced by having to position my body to try to prevent spilling over caught ankles. I spent my time on the bench rubbing the blade against the wood on the bench trying to dull them up a little.

There's a huge difference between the 90/75 and the 100, that's for sure. Is there an MSH approved way of taming the edges down a bit?

Try the 100/50. I had the same problem you had.

Just wondering if one of the more FBV-knowledgeable guys could post rough conversions of FBV to standard hollows? It'd be much appreciated, thanks.

100/75 fbv = 3/8" roh

100/50 fbv = 5/8" roh

90/75 fbv = 3/4" roh

90/50 fbv = 1 1/8" roh

Did 90/75 for Team Ukraine Coach Alexander Savitskiy

http://www.sokol.kiev.ua/page-id-3026.html

http://www.hockey.org.ua/Komanba/m513.htm

His feedback was "just incredible".

Team Ukraine head coach Dmitri Khristich (frmr. NHL player - Washington, Boston, Toronto, and LA) politely declined. The only reason he declined was his modesty. He had signed some jerseys for my friends in the States and didn't want me to feel obliged to him for doing that for me.

Added 01/31: Savitskiy called me today and said he never skated so fast in his life. He played in the Russian Superleague and for various West European teams (I believe in Sweden too).

Dmitry Khristich http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8448484

is on the FBV too now

And now he is coming back dragging friends-players with him

Edited by Ivan

Hope no one minds the question but I got a few ladies in my life who have figure skates and it just occurred to me to ask if anyone has tried putting a FBV sharpening on a figure skater's blades and heard any reports back...

so if you have, post em up :P

Hope no one minds the question but I got a few ladies in my life who have figure skates and it just occurred to me to ask if anyone has tried putting a FBV sharpening on a figure skater's blades and heard any reports back...

I am about to conduct that experiment. I have a high-level figure skater here in Orlando - I have to talk to her about it. I believe she will be interested.

I am about to conduct that experiment. I have a high-level figure skater here in Orlando - I have to talk to her about it. I believe she will be interested.

More glide would equal more speed going into jumps, No? Can't be a bad thing.

I am interested in how this works for figure skaters - I have one of those in my house also.

I have no doubt about the glide being a benefit. My only hesitation is they do a lot of foot work where the blade must pivot on the ice, I have found on my skates that the outside edge can catch...I know that I am not explaining this well.

Anyhow, would love to hear the feedback that you get JR...I think that you will need to try several different FBV profiles to find the sweetspot for the figure skating crowd.

Edited by Jordan

Try the 100/50. I had the same problem you had.

Unfortunately, my LHS doesn't have the 100/50. I ended up just getting a resharp on the 90/75. Its amazing how something as simple as a $5.00 hollow change can make such a difference in feel.

I am interested in how this works for figure skaters - I have one of those in my house also.

I have no doubt about the glide being a benefit. My only hesitation is they do a lot of foot work where the blade must pivot on the ice, I have found on my skates that the outside edge can catch...I know that I am not explaining this well.

Anyhow, would love to hear the feedback that you get JR...I think that you will need to try several different FBV profiles to find the sweetspot for the figure skating crowd.

I would recommend she use the 90/50 for the figures...if the store you go to normally doesnt have it let me know and I can meet you there!

100/50 review. X02 sharpener. 6'1 235 lbs. Previously skated on 90/75 and liked it but wanted to try a bit more edge. The timing is not what I wanted due to the seasonal temp changes(spring) and thus softer ice. 100/50 definitely has a sharper feel and great glide. I canot tell you if it is a notably different than the 90/75. I have been skating on 90/75 since early January and I am a huge fan. Initially the sharper feel is evident but not as much when actually skating. Stopping was noticeably different, the edges are sharp and they do have quite a bit more bite that 90/'s For me, I am pretty certain 90/75 is the way to go in the spring/summer (and for many in the winter not excluding me) but in Minnesota when the temp drop and our indoor ice hardens I will likely really enjoy the increased sharpness of the 100/50.

100/50 review. X02 sharpener. 6'1 235 lbs. Previously skated on 90/75 and liked it but wanted to try a bit more edge. The timing is not what I wanted due to the seasonal temp changes(spring) and thus softer ice. 100/50 definitely has a sharper feel and great glide. I canot tell you if it is a notably different than the 90/75. I have been skating on 90/75 since early January and I am a huge fan. Initially the sharper feel is evident but not as much when actually skating. Stopping was noticeably different, the edges are sharp and they do have quite a bit more bite that 90/'s For me, I am pretty certain 90/75 is the way to go in the spring/summer (and for many in the winter not excluding me) but in Minnesota when the temp drop and our indoor ice hardens I will likely really enjoy the increased sharpness of the 100/50.

Damn, still no 100/50 at Dave's....been bugging Jesse to get it every week. Back to 9/16th in the meantime.

Damn I'm torn now,

I have the 100/50 and I love it. So the 90/75 has more glide?

I was searching google and found this description:

"When selecting depths, average skaters should start with a 100/50 FBV (equates to a traditional ½” depth). If more bite is required, try switching to a 100/75 FBV (equates to a traditional 3/8” depth). If less bite is required (for highly skilled elite players), try switching to a 90/75 FBV (equates to a traditional 5/8” depth)"

For highly skilled elite players, less bite is required? Why is that? Don't they take sharper turns? Sorry I'm new and a little confused. Can someone clarify?

No. Highly skilled skaters are more effective at getting on and feeling their edges. They do not require that extra "sharpness" to be able to trust their edges.

Messier skated on (well, all kinds of things) a 1 inch hollow at times.

Edited by Jordan

Stop buggin Jesse and talk to Dave. :P

Believe me, I've tried em all!

It was either new pontoon furniture or an X02 sharpener...Guess which one the wife went for?!

Some guys run their house, some guys run around their house, I run my house........hahaha

How about a couple lawn chairs and an X01?

I never siad the 90/75 had more glide, I did say I could not discern a difference between the 90/75 and 100/50.

I can also say this to those of you that feel the need to resharpen more regularly with FBV, try using a stone on the edge first. Last week I felt I needed to sharpen and simply ran a stone to freshen the edge and they felt like new.

I can also say this to those of you that feel the need to resharpen more regularly with FBV, try using a stone on the edge first. Last week I felt I needed to sharpen and simply ran a stone to freshen the edge and they felt like new.

Same thing I mentioned a week ago. Made a big difference for me as well. I held off putting the spare FBV-cut steel in for now after just using a stone. Before the stone I ran my fingernail down towards the bottom of each blade and could feel a small 'lip'. A couple easy passes with an Arkansas stone and it was gone. Didn't lose an edge at all after that. I plan to go into my 3rd game with them like this and evaluate afterwards. Not sure if I can make it through the next 3 or 4 weeks without changing them out, but I'd like to try it if possible.