Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speed Demon

The Pros and their skates

Do you guys think that a lot of the reason that more pros wear CCM and Bauer over Graf is because they get paid to wear the Bauer and CCM skates or do you think it is because they actually like the skates more than Graf?

It's because the money. Look at samsonov, he was a graf guy until bauer gave him some money. Also pros have all their skates custom made so most of them probably don't care which brand it is as long as it fits. It seems that alot more rookies and younger players were graf than older players.

Not EVERYONE gets paid to wear skates...

Jackal - not necessarily. Forsberg had a huge endorsement deal set up with Easton (even involved him having distributor rights in Europe) but he had to be head-to-toe Easton. The deal was nixed as Foppa couldn't wear Easton boots.

When did Graf start becoming big in NA? That could have something to do with it. A lot of pros are so damn picky with their skates that they'll wear the same models forever. If they grew up wearing Bauer and CCM, they're more likely to stick with them, than something new like Graf or Mission.

When did Graf start becoming big in NA? That could have something to do with it. A lot of pros are so damn picky with their skates that they'll wear the same models forever. If they grew up wearing Bauer and CCM, they're more likely to stick with them, than something new like Graf or Mission.

Didn't they start to become big around the 90's? Because that's when my brother got his first ones. I think 1997.

There was a funny story in a finnish press about Forsberg and his skates.. He had to skip a exhibition game because he had to fly to Canada to get a new pair (or more) of skates.

I had my first pair way back in '92 and they were relatively new around the area. Stuck with them for the most part since then.

I think Graf is still trying to be a low endorsement company. They won't pay players to wear their product, they depend only on mouth to mouth to get a good rep. I remember though a couple of years ago, they were an official sponsor of the CHL and there were logos on the boards when the games were on tv.

Graf Canada started up in 1997 I believe. That's when I got my first pair. Before that, the ones on the NA market were Swiss-made. They had a small following (Coffey, Leetch, Fedorov, Jagr) in the early 90s and then blew up once Graf Canada came about.

first time i ever seen graf skates was probably back in my first year bantam in 2001 or so. i never really heard of the company and name till my little brother got a pair in the city in 2002. but looking back in old hockey mags and pictures and such, you can notice the odd person with a pair on their feet such as jagr and leetch. i even think i have a picture from an old hockey mag with yzerman in a pair. and mccarty was wearing graf back in the finals against philly i think

I had my first pair way back in '92 and they were relatively new around the area. Stuck with them for the most part since then.

Is it you Mack that was a big fan of the Daoust skate?

If yes, do you find that Graf skates or similar to Daoust skates?

I am not sure if anyone can help me with this, but hopefully some of us from the Maritimes and Quebec can. It was the playoffs of the QMJHL last season and I had watched a game with Les Olympique De Gatineau and a game with L'Oceanic de Rimouski. I noticed that A LOT of players were using Graf skates. Can anyone confirm that Graf is a highly popular skate in the QMJHL or for people in Ontario and Western Canada, is it popular in the OHL and WHL? I am looking for evidence of what good players really prefer to use when they are not paid to use something.

Dexy, I think there are many more factors involved in "what a player prefers". Sure, many endorsees get paid for wearing x-labled gear. Yet, for many pros there are other factors, too. Lemieux ( guess it was him) switched endorsement deals just because his pro rep changed from one manufacturer to another (Lemieux followed him). If they are anal about a certain product (see: Hull), they will most likely not find a perfect fit in ANY retail product. So they go with the brand that goes the extra-extra mile for them. A guy like Hull needs to be given the feeling that even his weirdest and most minimal wishes for modifications are understood and will be executed by all means.

Unfortunately, I am highly influenced by good hockey players as what equipment to buy. I know for a fact that I don't want Vectors of Vapor XXs. The 703s fit like perfectly and the Nike Quest V12s fit very good too. I am currently in the process of emailing QMJHL teams to see if a lot of their players use Graf Skates. It is weird, I know.

I was standing at the boards at the Boston Bruins training camp 2 years ago and although the players were wearing various skates, I was surprised to see that almost all of them were using the Bauer Tuuk blade holders and non-perforated blades! I don't know if this is just a Bruins thing, but I was impressed.

:D So does anyone know if a lot of QMJHL or OHL or WHL players use Graf?

Hey Dexy,

Look at Fedorov, he wears Graf 703 and his skating technic is awesome...

Kovy, you just made my day. I forgot all about Fedorov. Thanks man.