Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sid

slide boards

Anybody use them and do they help? I have seen a few and they are really expensive I might try to make one!

Thank Sid

i got one at a yard sale last year for a cheap price. it aint too bad. it does give ya a good leg workout, but i don't use mine a whole lot

I use one at physical therapy, nothing special just the plastic with rubber stops on the ends. Really is a good workout on your legs, helps my side to side movements in goal too. I'd recommend one, even if it isn't TOO high tech.

whats a slide board...?

It works just like socks on a clean kitchen floor. Like when you were a kid and ran and slid across it. It's a board, I'd say about 6 feet long and two feet wide, with two bumpers on the end to keep you from sliding off. You stand on it and basically do a skating stride from one side to the other. You push off from one side and slide across to the other like you would if you were on the ice. It helps with muscle tone, balance, and form.

Funny you post this as I just tried one out for the first time at a local gym. It only took a few minutes to get use to it, then I did three sets of 100 strides, but I have to admit I didn't feel much of a burn. Maybe I had to go longer or harder, but I left feeling like I didn't get much out of it. I'll try it again though.

When I attended Penn State's Hockey Camp they gave us a direction sheet on how to make a slide board. My dad and I built one ourselves and it really does help. The one end is attached but the other end can adjust so that you can make it as short as 5 feet and as long as 8 feet I believe. If you are using one and not feeling any actual workout, try to focus on keeping your knees bent almost to a squat position or like a wall sit. That will be the best for linking the stride on the board to your on ice stride.

If you are using one and not feeling any actual workout, try to focus on keeping your knees bent almost to a squat position or like a wall sit. That will be the best for linking the stride on the board to your on ice stride.

That's exaclty what I was wanting to say...Keep your knee bent the most you can, when you do the exercise.

when i work on mine, i don't stend to go for a certain amount of slides or reps. i just go on it for about 30 mins or so, and i start to feel it then

When I attended Penn State's Hockey Camp they gave us a direction sheet on how to make a slide board. My dad and I built one ourselves and it really does help. The one end is attached but the other end can adjust so that you can make it as short as 5 feet and as long as 8 feet I believe. If you are using one and not feeling any actual workout, try to focus on keeping your knees bent almost to a squat position or like a wall sit. That will be the best for linking the stride on the board to your on ice stride.

do u still have the sheet?

I don't think I do because the camp was probably 5 or 6 years ago. I'm sure if you look around the internet there should be instructions somewhere. It was just a basic design with two by fours as a base, ply wood on top of that, then a smooth white material on top that I want to say was called Mylar? Then the end piece on one end was secured to the base via screws and was angled towards the center of the board to make the impact easier on your foot. The other end was the same way, just not secured to the board so that you can move it. I can elaborate if you need, but I'd just suggest looking for instructions online.