Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 08/09

Full house, but a boring game. Alot of people didn't show up till late (coming from work) and it seemed a fair share, much more than usual, weren't there for the start of the second period. When the Leafs are this far out and there isn't much to watch, alot of people won't make an effort to watch the game. It's worse now than I've ever seen.

He effectively got two high-round picks (Bozak would probably be a first; not sure about Hanson) for the price of two entrry-level contracts those hypothetical picks would have signed anyway, some illicit cash, and a house in Forest Hill. When you think about how much time and money you'd spend developing an 18 year-old pick into a 22-25 year-old mature player, these NCAA guys are a steal -- and all Burke has to do is use his personal influence in front of the massive appeal and financial power of the Leafs organisation to get them.

Apparently they are still on the hunt for Gilroy as well, the defenseman out of Boston.

Even if neither of these guys pan out at all, I think it's great that the Leafs were able to sign at least two players that probably had 10 or 15 teams after them (at least), and all were offering the same money. It goes to show that Toronto finally isn't a complete joke from an internal standpoint.

I question, would we have had a chance at either of this kids if Fletcher were still the GM? I think the answer to that is obvious.

I'd bet even if the Leafs decide they didn't pan out, Burke can flip them in a year or so for fairly high (2nd-4th round) picks. If that many teams were interested, you'd get some nibbles -- in which case, he effectively bought himself a couple of picks for way, way less than they're worth if you go by the RFA offer-sheet compensation values.

That brings up an interesting point -- maybe Burke is going to use these guys (especially Bozak) to improve his draft position.

Something about that seems possible, but it doesn't sit right. The NCAA is a great talent pool; if Burke signs these guys and then turns around and flips them to the Islanders, I'd seriously doubt if any NCAA player would trust him again.

I seriously doubt the Islanders would take them plus some picks for the number 1. Only way the islanders are moving down is if someone gives them their 1st round picks for the next 4+ years. Let the Tavares thing go. He wont be a leaf.

If I were a Leaf fan...I'd be very excited about how quickly Burkie is going about bringing in fresh faces/talent to get this rebuild going. But, I'm NOT a Leaf fan...so I'm just annoyed *L*

Gilroy would be nice, but I can't imagine a defenseman signing with the Leafs due to how many are already under contract. I can't say I know too much about Bozak or Hanson but I think the order in which they signed is pretty interesting. It seems like a given that Bozak is the more skilled of the two, and I'm wondering if Hanson would have signed with the Leafs even if Bozak had signed first.

I seriously doubt the Islanders would take them plus some picks for the number 1. Only way the islanders are moving down is if someone gives them their 1st round picks for the next 4+ years. Let the Tavares thing go. He wont be a leaf.

I didn't say Tavares, nor suggest any trade structure - I said move up in the draft, and happened to mention the current cellar-dwellers offhand.

Are you actually saying BBurke wouldn't make a move for a #1 overall pick - in ANY year - if the price was reasonable? We don't know what the asking price will be, nor what the disposition of the 1/1 draft team will be. Maybe they'll want Hedman; maybe Burke does too. Who knows.

Eklund had an interesting point in his latest blog today (and of course I take it with a grain of salt). Signing these two guys is the equivalent of two high draft picks. Ek seems to think that Burke might now try to trade up in the draft to get Tavares using "4 or 5" picks. If the Leafs could get Tavares for their first, their two seconds and a third, I'd do it in a heartbeat, I just don't see it happening.

Exactly - it's a possibility. Signing these guys could be a straightforward rebuilding move, or it could constitute part of a play for something else. It all depends on the market value of different assets. I do think it far more likely that a play for the 1 or 2 pick would involve trading picks and a premium roster player rather than their NCAA signings, chiefly for the reasons I mentioned ( loss of credibility in future NCAA negotiations).

...A 1st, 2 2nds and a 3rd would have Snow laughing in Burke's face. Wouldn't that be a sight? lol But really, with the amount of hype around Tavares, , the amount of talk hes gotten as the Islanders future ( i live on LI, hes been in the paper quite a few times), and the rebuild underway, AND with past criticism of islanders management either trading down or just making bad decisions in general, it would have to be an overwhelming, ridiculous, 'how on earth can i say no?' type of deal for the Islanders to give away their pick (provided they get the number 1 spot). It would have to be AT LEAST two 1st rounders, an NHL player a top prospect or 2, plus two or three 2nd and/or 3rd rounders. Keep in mind, your not trading for Tavare's WORTH, your trading for what it takes for the Islanders to give him up.

...A 1st, 2 2nds and a 3rd would have Snow laughing in Burke's face. Wouldn't that be a sight? lol But really, with the amount of hype around Tavares, , the amount of talk hes gotten as the Islanders future ( i live on LI, hes been in the paper quite a few times), and the rebuild underway, AND with past criticism of islanders management either trading down or just making bad decisions in general, it would have to be an overwhelming, ridiculous, 'how on earth can i say no?' type of deal for the Islanders to give away their pick (provided they get the number 1 spot). It would have to be AT LEAST two 1st rounders, an NHL player a top prospect or 2, plus two or three 2nd and/or 3rd rounders. Keep in mind, your not trading for Tavare's WORTH, your trading for what it takes for the Islanders to give him up.

I hate to be the guy that breaks this to you....the Islanders don't have the first overall pick, it's a lottery.

I thought a deal for Toronto to move up to 1/1 was more reasonable when we were in position to pick in the top 5, but now it appears more likely that we'll be closer to 10 and I'd be surprised if Burke could pull it off. If he is able to move Kaberle and/or Kubina for a high first round pick, who knows. Like if Toronto is able to offer two top 10 picks, two second rounders, and Jiri Tlusty...I mean, the other team would have to at least think about that depending where those picks fall. I'm not sure if Burke likes Tavares that much, but who knows.

There's no chance Burke is trading Bozak or Hanson this off-season unless he already has some deal in place with them to do so (which I have no idea how/why they would do that). If Burke is anything, he's a man of his word, I think we've seen enough examples of that.

I agree that there is no way Bozak or Hanson is traded. Regarding the Islanders- can't say I follow them too closely, but I have read multiple times that they are really high on Hedman. If that's the case and they win the lottery I really see them exploring trading the pick. Rise, I don't see any way that a team offers close to what you mentioned for the first pick. Teams have learned from the Lindros trade. But like I said, I don't think a first, two seconds and a third is near enough value, either. As much as I'd love to see Tavares in a Leafs uni, I don't think its worth giving up all those assets, especially in what many people think is a deep draft.

it would have to be an overwhelming, ridiculous, 'how on earth can i say no?' type of deal for the Islanders to give away their pick (provided they get the number 1 spot).

I hate to be the guy that breaks this to you....the Islanders don't have the first overall pick, it's a lottery.

umm. try reading the full post. And like i said, theres no way Tavares is really worth that much, im just saying if a desperate team like the Islanders have the number 1 pick, they would want more than his straight up value to trade him away. As for the Isles being high on hedmen.. thats the 1st ive heard about it. But what team wouldn't want that guy? you cant go wrong with the 1st two picks this year.

That's an interesting scenario... one of the K-D's + a pick (maybe not even a 1st) for the 1/1 draft. That might be the only way trading Kaberle makes sense: given the high value of his contract & cap hit relative his play getting Tavares or Hedman could conceivably yield an immediate roster player at a cheaper and longer & higher-value contract than Kaberle, which is pretty unlikely with anyone other than those two; the logic on Kubina is basically the same though he's less valuable against his contract. There's still at least the possibility that Tavares or Hedman could be a bust, for whatever reason, as opposed to an established NHL prospect like Doughty, Schenn or (given his recet play) Stamkos - I wouldn't see either any of those guys taken as a straight trade for one of the K's.

Sorry - I completely miss what you are saying here.

Are you suggesting Kaberle or Kubina + a 2nd round pick in exchange for the 1st overall selection in this year's draft? I would imagine the team with the first pick would be laughing into the phone if Burke tried to offer that deal.

I see almost no possible way for the Leafs to get the #1 overall pick without moving their 1st round pick this year as part of the deal. Say the 5th overall pick, Kaberle, and a 2nd round pick this year....that might be more palatable, but I would still be extremely surprised if the Islanders would accept that deal. The Islanders have a very similar player to Kaberle already on the roster (and perhaps a superior player) in Mark Streit. There is also the issue of a rebuilding team not really needing an older player like Kubina or Kaberle, even if they do have decent contracts.

I think a more logical scenario would be to try and trade either one of or both Kubina/Kaberle for 1st round picks, then turn around and move that pick, in addition to the Leafs 1st rounder this year, and probably something else, to move up to #1 overall.

John Tavares may not be in the Crosby/Ovechkin sure thing category...but he's not far behind. The kid is a legitimate junior phenom, for a team to risk giving up someone like that, I think it's going to take a completely overwhelming offer.

People like to bring up Daigle, but that was in 1993...scouting processes are much more advanced in the NHL in 2009. Look at a list of the #1 overall picks since then, the two worst are probably Patrick Stefan, who was in a horrible draft, and I guess maybe Chris Phillips, but that was another brutal brutal draft. Even going back into the 80's, there aren't a lot of real clunkers taken #1 overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NHL_f...l_draft_choices

in 1992, I guess the Bolts should of took Yashin instead of Hamrlik ?

man, you are starting to bring back bad memories for Leafs fans. I was looking at the list of Leafs drafts and its terrible. I was looking at 1992 and the Leafs drafted Brandon Convery and Grant Marshall. Didn't the Leafs trade the 5th overall pick to NYI in exchange the 8th overall pick and a 2nd round ? I think the Leafs then traded 2 second round draft picks for a 1st round draft pick. The media was heralding Cliff Fletcher as a genius who could turn a 1st and 2nd round pick into two 1st round picks. They should of just kept the 5th overall pick and drafted Darius Kasparaitis. I guess it could be worse, the Leafs were also contemplating drafting Darryl Sittler's son instead.

The Leafs COULD STILL possibly get in to the bottom 5 lottery.

They're currently 23rd with 77points and ottawa(23rd - 76), phoenix(24th - 75), LA(25th - 73) and atlanta(26th - 72) all closely behind them. There's about 5 games left so there MAYBE a chance the Leafs could be in the mix for the lottery.

anything is possible, especially if the leafs get one of the top 5 picks and the way burke has his ways of pulling "something out of nothing" with trades on draft day.

it would have to be an overwhelming, ridiculous, 'how on earth can i say no?' type of deal for the Islanders to give away their pick (provided they get the number 1 spot).

umm. try reading the full post. And like i said, theres no way Tavares is really worth that much, im just saying if a desperate team like the Islanders have the number 1 pick, they would want more than his straight up value to trade him away. As for the Isles being high on hedmen.. thats the 1st ive heard about it. But what team wouldn't want that guy? you cant go wrong with the 1st two picks this year.

Touche.

I agree though, I had said earlier that the Isles (or anybody) would probably require an offer well above fair value for Tavares just because to trade him and have him turn out to be a megastar is a much worse scenario for a GM (job safety wise) than to simply draft him and have him be a bust.

in 1992, I guess the Bolts should of took Yashin instead of Hamrlik ?

I would have. Yashin is an underrated player, look at his career stats, they ain't that bad. Jason Blake should be sending Yashin 25% of his pay cheques because he's the only reason Blake ever scored 40 goals, and was able to use that to hijack JFJ for an outrageous deal.

Yashin is just a douche bag, has/had a douche bag for an agent, and the Islanders wildly overpaid him on that one giant contract. Maybe things would have been different for him if he didn't have to start his career out in the stinkhole that is Ottawa.

Rookie prank OK with Hanson brother

Short Version: For his first game as a pro, Christian Hanson was sent on the ice first for the warmup while his Leafs teammates stayed back in the tunnel to watch the new guy's egg-on-his-face solo lap.

Link to Article

:)

Short Version: For his first game as a pro, Christian Hanson was sent on the ice first for the warmup while his Leafs teammates stayed back in the tunnel to watch the new guy's egg-on-his-face solo lap.

Link to Article

Didn't they do the same thing to Schenn??? Was Bozak paying attention this time???

Link to Article

Didn't they do the same thing to Schenn??? Was Bozak paying attention this time???

They've done it a couple times already I believe...somebody needs to think up a new rookie prank.

They've done it a couple times already I believe...somebody needs to think up a new rookie prank.

May's on top of it...

I'm amazed they didn't make Hanson do a lap in just his jockstrap.

so the leafs seasons done and to be honest i thought it was way more exciting than i thought it would be, i love how they never give up...leafs are gonna rule in the near future. anyways i'm so giddy about the upcoming draft...i'm sooo hyped to see another schenn come to TO lol i dunno why =P

anyways, once the game with ottawa was done i thought to myself what would i like to see next year in the leafs, and the first thought surprised the hell out of me...it wasn't a star player or whatever blah blah blah...it was a change in the jersey...well more like a change back...to me right now the jersey just looks bland and lazy and to be honest you can't do much with 2 colours but for some reason i would love to the white shoulders come back to the home jersey and the blue shoulders come back to our away jerseys (like our current 3rds) anyone agree?