Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kosydar

Leafs 08/09

His +/- this season is certainly an anomaly when looking at his career stats. Then again it is the most useless stat in hockey, so it doesn't matter. The difference between Nik and that list is that they've all had seasons that have established them as stars. As much as I like him, nobody will ever confuse him for an elite forward. He is on pace for a career year this year, yet has been wildly inconsistent. The only reason that he is making $2M and not closer to $4M is because his play in the past dictated that salary. I listened to the replay of Burke's interview and I truthfully think that he is just trying to motivate him, like what he did with Vesa. I never thought Burke would resign Nik and I look forward to the return at the deadline. The way I look at it, do you really see Nik getting any better than this? I take him for what he is, an inconsistent, second tier forward who despite his size is very unphysical and often times shows no passion. If I had to explain the difference between the Leafs pre and post lockout the one thing that is different is the lack of passion. Burke and his team are ridding themselves of players who suffer from that. Lets be honest, would you really want Nik to sign for what he is likely to get on the open market (I'm guessing 4 or 5 years at close to $20M)? I know I sure wouldn't.

I'd take "+/-" over "hits" as a stat anyday.

True, +/- is far less subjective than hits, but it is far from a good indicator of defensive play.

Burke has called up Battaglia and Devereaux from the Marlies. I doubt either gets any significant time, but its a nice way to reward guys who have been professional about their situations. While Burke may come off as a huge dick most of the time, this type of stuff really shows he has another side to him.

True, +/- is far less subjective than hits, but it is far from a good indicator of defensive play.

Burke has called up Battaglia and Devereaux from the Marlies. I doubt either gets any significant time, but its a nice way to reward guys who have been professional about their situations. While Burke may come off as a huge dick most of the time, this type of stuff really shows he has another side to him.

I agree. Good to get Bates and Boyd back up here, I'd still like to see Bell get a shot.

While Burke may come off as a huge dick most of the time, this type of stuff really shows he has another side to him.

I think Burke is one of the most straight forward, honest GM's in sport.

While Burke may come off as a huge dick most of the time, this type of stuff really shows he has another side to him.

That's the part of him I like.

That's the part of him I like.

oh ye for sure...doesn't hide anything at all, that way we don't get all those stupid trade rumour junk. and i'm pretty sure antropov's gone, just not burke's type of player...he plays too slow and passive of a game, i like antropov but when i watch him forecheck its so painful and when he hits, its like a 10 year old ran into you.

i know for sure i don't want legace here, i'm not too big on smaller goalies, when they get in the butterfly there's so much net there its not even funny and so many screened shots get past them, when maybe a bigger goalie coulda got a piece ~shrug~ just pisses me off sometimes

anyone see the goal May scored in the leafs skills comp?

hahah poor joseph

Blake pulled the Patty Kane, chest slide hand pass...and Grabovski had a nice one too a la Forsberg/Jokinien.

do u think if kubina used a OPS would his shot be harder? coz 103.8 woulda beat shea webber if i remember right

Probably not.

Souray was using a wood stick at this ASG hardest shot comp this year I believe.

do u think if kubina used a OPS would his shot be harder? coz 103.8 woulda beat shea webber if i remember right

Probably not.

Souray was using a wood stick at this ASG hardest shot comp this year I believe.

No, you're thinking of Aucoin. He held out and used wood for quite a while. The year he and Souray tied (2004)....Souray used a OPS...Aucoin used Wood.

Got to watch their outdoor practice at High Park with a few of my kids from the GBHA this afternoon - neat stuff. The Leafs looked like they were having a blast. Moore, May and Stajan have really emerged as great community liaisons. Also found out that Jamal Mayers started playing in that very organisation way back when, and he was incredibly gracious to the kids. Tim Hunter dumped snow on the president - deft stickwork, I gotta say.

This is the eighth outdoor rink in Toronto the Leafs and Home Depot have fixed up, and it's looking fabulous.

Anyone else take notice of Grabs and Kulemin on the ice? Maybe I'm imagining things but I get the impression that Grabs does his absolute best to not get the puck to Kulemin at all. I understand Grabs wanting to carry it through the neutral zone as he is the superior skater, but it seems like 9 times out of ten he'll either take a bad shot or make a pass to a covered Hagman. Its almost like he is making a point of not using Kulemin at all. I really hope Wilson splits them up. Now that Bell is being called up I'd like to see the lines shaken up, something along the lines of:

Hagman-Grabovski-Stempy

Blake-Moore-Kulemin

Bell-Stajan-Antropov

Mayers-Mitchell-May

But I get the feeling that Poni will stay in the lineup and the only thing that will change is the 4th line will look more like Mayers-Mitchell-May/Bell.

Probably not.

No, you're thinking of Aucoin. He held out and used wood for quite a while. The year he and Souray tied (2004)....Souray used a OPS...Aucoin used Wood.

Are you sure? I thought I saw an interview with Souray this year talking about his stick and saying it was a wood....could have been a late night CBC game with Aucoin though now that I think about it, they were talking about how it only cost $20 or something and I knew it cost more than that.

Got to watch their outdoor practice at High Park with a few of my kids from the GBHA this afternoon - neat stuff. The Leafs looked like they were having a blast. Moore, May and Stajan have really emerged as great community liaisons. Also found out that Jamal Mayers started playing in that very organisation way back when, and he was incredibly gracious to the kids. Tim Hunter dumped snow on the president - deft stickwork, I gotta say.

This is the eighth outdoor rink in Toronto the Leafs and Home Depot have fixed up, and it's looking fabulous.

I've played at the High Park rink a few times (last night actually)...it is a great facility for a free community rink. Usually never very busy either when I've been there. I've talked to Moore and Stajan, they are both really good guys...it's refreshing to hear a guy like Moore, who grew up in the area, comment often about how special it is for him to play for the Leafs.

I'm sure some have heard by now, Mark Bell was claimed off waivers by NYR. Looks like the Avery thing might be quashed now with Tortorella as the coach.

I hope Bell can do better in NYR as he wasn't really given a chance here, good on BB for giving him a chance to go somewhere else

(TSN Ticker) Report: Toskala may require offseason surgery to repair groin/hip issues.

This news (if confirmed) would make trading him pretty difficult, I would think.

That rumor keeps coming up. Obviously Toskala has been able to play through it, as his last four games might be his best string this season. I never thought he was going to be traded, but one rumor that won't die is Toskala to Det.

I can't believe how much Stapleton looks like Wellwood out there. Regardless, he had quite a good game and I hope he gets a chance to stay with the big club for a while.

just got this link from my gf's brother

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/index.php/20...eafs/#more-2710

looks like today's deal between Penguins and Ducks are to help swing a deal with the Leafs

The breakdown, if the trade happens, would look like this:

Pittsburgh Adds: Kaberle, Stajan, Kunitz

Pittsburgh Drops: Whitney, Staal

Toronto Adds: Staal, Tangradi

Toronto Drops: Kaberle, Stajan

interesting, obviously a draft pick will have to be included coming to toronto but I would love to see this deal actually happen!

Does Pitt really need Kabby and Gonchar? They seem like very very similar players to me.

I like the deal, but I'd like to see a pick or two thrown in as well, especially if they are going to include Stajan. Burke is on record as saying he wants an NHL player, a prospect, and a pick in exchange for just Kaberle.

Does Pitt really need Kabby and Gonchar? They seem like very very similar players to me.

I like the deal, but I'd like to see a pick or two thrown in as well, especially if they are going to include Stajan. Burke is on record as saying he wants an NHL player, a prospect, and a pick in exchange for just Kaberle.

Staal is more than just a player though.