Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bertuzzi44

Sharpening...

I can see giving 4 free sharpenings if you buy a pair of skates from a dealer but not a lifetime.

At Sport Chek, we give 10 free sharpenings, or a $20 rebate. Your choice. And we don't know if they're paying for it or not when we're sharpening. They pay for it at the front cash.

I've never come across this concept of an "overnight" skate sharpening. Usually i just roll into the rink, drop them off, get half dressed and then they are done. Or I go up to original stx or just hockey, 5 minutes in and out. What kind of volume of sharpenings prompts needing to keep them overnight? or is it a quality issue?

Well, one, it gives the customer an incentive to drop them off - it's cheaper.

Two, when you're in a store like mine which has one person working the entire store, things get hectic.

Just Hockey has guys dedicated to just sharpening so it's easier for them.

Hockeydude. I've never heard of your store thought I wouldn't mind going there for a try. I can say the guy who does mine is a quality guy and I know it for a fact. I have gotten my skates sharpened by many places but no one compares to Dave. His store only is for sharpening nothing else. Anyways if you give me an address for your store and Im in the area I'll pop by and check it out.

I've been thinking about switching to T-Blades, unless anybody knows a good place to get a sharpening in Pittsburgh.

Alrite, so I just got a job at a sports store. They have a nice blademaster machine, and I'd like to pride myself in myself in my quality sharpenings, but; A) THey don't have anyone with much experience and they give horrible jobs, B) I got no one to teach me, C) I need to know what to do, what's right and what's wrong, and I won't learn it there...

Edit: I've also read every link posted, and I have an idea of what's right, but if I could get some tips and stuff, I'd appreciate it.

Alrite, so I just got a job at a sports store. They have a nice blademaster machine, and I'd like to pride myself in myself in my quality sharpenings, but; A) THey don't have anyone with much experience and they give horrible jobs, B) I got no one to teach me, C) I need to know what to do, what's right and what's wrong, and I won't learn it there...

Edit: I've also read every link posted, and I have an idea of what's right, but if I could get some tips and stuff, I'd appreciate it.

Quick and dirty. There are a number of other things you can do, but this is the absolute minmum in my mind.

Step 1: look at the skate

See if there are any major nicks or chunks that you will have to take out. Also look at the edges to see if they are level. If you're unsure, you may need to measure. Once you've been doing it for a few years, you will get a very good feel for when something is level or off.

Step 2: Measure the edges with a level

If your shop doesn't have a level, use a razor blade or quater and see if the edges are flat.

Step3: Put the skate in the jig

Make sure the jig is locked down and there isn't any play

Step 4:adjust the jig

If the steel is level, simply touch the steel gently to the wheel and adjust until the mark on the steel is perfectly vertical. If the steel isn't level, either cross grind or adjust manually by grinding away the high spots. This takes the most experience in my opinion.

Step 5: Get below any nicks or chunks

To make sure the edges are good, you have to grind away enough steel that any chips or dings are gone. If a skate is particularly chewed up, this may take a while. This is also where you may have to cross grind if the damage is bad enough.

Step 6: Slow and Smooth

The last pass should be as slow and smooth as possible. Using a finishing fluid on the last pass helps get a smoother finish and I highly recommend it.

Step 7: Clean the sides

Always take a stone and clean up any burrs or rough spots. It helps hone the edges a bit more.

yeah checking for even edges is key, as for nicks in the metal i dont really worry about those but each sharpener is different. there was one place near my shop who had a great sharpener but he retired. he was the old guy at centennial. but yeah sharpening is an art form in itself. like i believe that JR and Chadd are good sharpeners but all sharpeners learn something knew everyday whether its from training or first hand experience. like i just learned that you dont need to do many passes when sharpening skates. like 10passes and a skate is sharp unless they have a long nick in them or the edges are uneven

If you're store doesn't have an edge checker, get a metal ruler and check the squareness matched up against your jig. I find this a little easier than measuring it with a Loonie. I also prefer to go with the wheel, but I'm in the minority there.

If you're store doesn't have an edge checker, get a metal ruler and check the squareness matched up against your jig. I find this a little easier than measuring it with a Loonie. I also prefer to go with the wheel, but I'm in the minority there.

The finish is so much nicer when you go with the wheel. It may take a few more passes that way though. One thing I always check on certain skates anymore is to make sure the steel isn't coming out of the holder at an odd angle. I also make sure I tighten the bolts on CCM, Easton and Mission skates every time I sharpen them. It only takes a couple seconds and I've caught some pretty loose bolts. If I feel the steel is loose on Tuuks and I have time, I do it on them as well.

I'm brand new at this, started training 3 weeks ago and I work 2 days a week. I was taught to start at the heel and let the wheel take the skate with some but not alot of pressure. I do enough passes to get out all the nicks and do a slower pass to check the smoothness so there are no waves or burn marks. After that I put lube on the blade and do a final slow pass. Take off the skate and clamp, examine the blade and stone both edges. I only redress the blade every 6 pairs or so? How often does everyone else redress?

I redress it every couple. I use a lighter oil than say, Gusto Glide, but sharpening with a dirty wheel changes the hollow.

I do the same amount of passes every time and I go both ways.

I only redress the blade every 6 pairs or so? How often does everyone else redress?

I can only get 2 pair done before I have to re-dress the wheel when I use the blademaster astroglide. It gums up the wheen a bit more than the other stuff I've used.

The stone rotates and there is a diamond that puts the hollow onto the stone (rounds it to the proper hollow). As you sharpen skates the wheel and pours start to get a little bit clogged up and the hollow starts to change. You bring the wheel down across the wheel and it "Redresses" the wheel, giving it a new hollow.

my dad picked up a sharpener a long time ago from the caps, and now the holder for the skate is un-even with the stone, does anyone know where I can get a new one?

have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the sharpener?

my dad picked up a sharpener a long time ago from the caps, and now the holder for the skate is un-even with the stone, does anyone know where I can get a new one?

His friend was the equipment manager for the capitals, and has had it for like twenty years since buying it from them, so I'm thinking no dice on that one.

my dad says he'll do 3 pair (my twin brothers and my skates) and then he'll re-dress the wheel. we only have a wissota, but it sure is nice since he's been doing skates for 20 years, way better than the local rink employees that have no idea

His friend was the equipment manager for the capitals, and has had it for like twenty years since buying it from them, so I'm thinking no dice on that one.

In other words, you didn't bother.

In other words, you didn't bother.

I go to boarding school, the sharpener's at home, so no, I did not contact them, or even know who they are. :(

I'm done with school in a week, and will be home, so I guess I can find out who they are then.

Have you checked the adjustment on the skate holder? Most holders adjust up down and tilt to center/align the skate/stone. Could just be a simple adjustment. I can't see how it could get out of alignment unless it's a funky machine.

Also, you could buy a new skate holder from Wissota and use that.