Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiSeOnFiRe

(w)PIX?

Saw a commercial just now during the Rags game saying the Avs/Rangers game will be on WPIX. Channel 11. This used to be the WB, now im wondering if its just a local thing for the rangers... or if they are going to start broadcasting hockey games... anyone know anything?

well thats why they have MSG+ (channel 72) and after that is Channel 14. So unless the devils, islanders, rangers, AND knicks are all in action that night, there would be no need. Becides, wouldnt the devils or Isles get kicked to that station before the rags?

They have broadcast a handful of Rangers games over the years, there was another one last season or the one before. I'm pretty sure they used to be the TV home for the Rangers years and years ago before MSG network and I assume there is still some sort of relationship which is why these games seem to pop up occassionally. It's a network station so it has the possibility of being viewed by more people (but then again it's hockey and we all know how well hockey does in TV ratings).

MSG has

-MSG

-MSG 2

-MSG +

-MSG +2

I cant believe they cant find room on one of those channels

It has nothing to do with finding room on an msg channel, read my post above. wpix, or pix as it's now known, is a network channel which is televising the game in the same manner that NBC does from time to time, it's just that pix is not a national broadcast like nbc and doesn't have a contract with the NHL but rather some sort of deal with the Rangers to televise the game (probably in hopes to reach a broader audience for hockey, and probably b/c pix doesn't have much of a Sat line up).

That's the first NHL game I've seen on anything but the MSGs and NBC in years. The Yanks play on Pix occasionally too. I think the Mets have games on WPN or Ch 9 in NY.

Before cable, the Rangers were on WOR, channel 9. That was when Jim Gordon and Bill(Big Whistle)Chadwick were the broadcasters during the 70s.

Before cable, the Rangers were on WOR, channel 9. That was when Jim Gordon and Bill(Big Whistle)Chadwick were the broadcasters during the 70s.

DS - you're starting to sound like my old man, and he's 64! Lol

"I remember watching games with your mother on Channel 9!"