Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tooomey

Newbee to Roller, Need Help Plz

I also agree on that chart, I couldnt see anyone using 78a on sportcourt.

It really depends on the manufacturer : IMO 76a in a Labeda Millenium is actually less sticky than a 78a (XX Grip) in a Rink Rat Hornet. It's worth trying a couple out and seeing what you feel comfortable with, but I think it's fair to say that:

* 76a is a good durometer rating to start at across multiple manufacturers

* Don't take the durometer rating as gospel truth -- it seems to mean different things in different brands

I see a lot of the Labeda wheels are 74a, is that like a RinkRat 76a?

Feels that way to me -- I think it kinda goes like this :

Very Soft   |   Soft	|   Medium 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Revision (Variant) 72a | 74a | 76a
Rink Rat (Hornet) 74a | 76a | 78a
Labeda (Millenium) 74a | 76a

Darkbyte, sorry my question wasn't more specific. I completely understand difference between impact vectors and inertia of roller vs ice but I was just wondering what you meant regarding thumb injuries? I don't see how you could get a thumb injury from a fall on sport court because you come to a stop quickly upon falling...

The assumption is that you fall in such a way as to cause injury in the first place (which we should never do, but it happens). The sudden stopping just makes it worse. Therefore, a little sprain, can end up being a big sprain.

The thumb injury is based on humans instinctively putting their hands out infront of themselves when they fall. The palm and wrist may also take a beating, but thankfully, they do not tend to bend in such unnatural angles as your thumb may do (not a given) as your momentum carries you over your stationary hands as you attempt to kiss the floor (if your thumb and palm were able to slide, there wouldnt be such a wierd bending action to cause injury).

Generally speaking, if you fall correctly, you shouldnt get hurt (especially not your hands) and the differences between ice and roller in terms of stopping speed dont really matter.

I wonder what the most common hockey injury is? Ive only seen one shoulder injury, one hyper extended thumb and a few sprained wrists with associated palm/meaty lower thumb part bruising.

Darkbyte, sorry my question wasn't more specific. I completely understand difference between impact vectors and inertia of roller vs ice but I was just wondering what you meant regarding thumb injuries? I don't see how you could get a thumb injury from a fall on sport court because you come to a stop quickly upon falling...

The assumption is that you fall in such a way as to cause injury in the first place (which we should never do, but it happens). The sudden stopping just makes it worse. Therefore, a little sprain, can end up being a big sprain.

The thumb injury is based on humans instinctively putting their hands out infront of themselves when they fall. The palm and wrist may also take a beating, but thankfully, they do not tend to bend in such unnatural angles as your thumb may do (not a given) as your momentum carries you over your stationary hands as you attempt to kiss the floor (if your thumb and palm were able to slide, there wouldnt be such a wierd bending action to cause injury).

Generally speaking, if you fall correctly, you shouldnt get hurt (especially not your hands) and the differences between ice and roller in terms of stopping speed dont really matter.

I wonder what the most common hockey injury is? Ive only seen one shoulder injury, one hyper extended thumb and a few sprained wrists with associated palm/meaty lower thumb part bruising.

Thats a good point. I was just wondering if there was a specific thumb injury I was unaware of that you were referring to. And your definitely right regarding the quick deceleration causing worse injuries.

And here are 2 articles on the most common hockey injuries:

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a.hockey.htm

http://life.familyeducation.com/wounds-and...-aid/48322.html