Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tooomey

Newbee to Roller, Need Help Plz

I play Ice now and im interested in going to play some roller hockey. First Is the puck the same weight as ice puck 6oz? Does it hurt the same when you get hit with it? Second will my bauer girdle be ok for roller, it looks like it has more padding than inline girdle? I know I need inline skates and inline pants but is there anything else that doesnt transfer from ice? Are the skates paded like ice skates? They look less padded and more comfortable.

The puck is lighter than a ice puck depending on which one you use. Your bauer girdle should be good for inline as well. Thats about all you need to transfer, skates and pants. The skates are basically the same as ice skates, the differance is minimal if any I think.

Inline pucks are lighter

Given the bruises on my partner (goalie), inline pucks dont tickle

Inline girdles are extremely flexable and a lot cooler (the foam is perferated). They are made of a stretchy material, so they stay closer to your body.

Its not worth going out and buying a new girdle, if you keep playing its likely that you will buy an inline girdle, just to make life cooler and a little more comfortable.

Puck is definitely lighter like everyone else is saying. Relatively speaking, the puck doesn't hurt as much as an ice puck. (compare taking an inline puck slapshot to your instep and an ice puck slapshot to your instep). Because of that, inline skates usually are more padded for comfort than protection. Some people loathe that clumsy cushiony feeling and mount ice boots onto inline chassis.

Personally, because the puck is lighter, i like playing with a whippier stick than I do on ice. This is because the puck being as light as it is, doesn't flex the stick as much as an ice puck. With a whippier stick, it's easier to flex the stick for quick wristers. Also because the puck is lighter, i find that i have better feel with light composite one piece sticks, than cheaper heavier sticks (would or otherwise).

I recommend the Mission Thorax girdle as it hugs the body like a compression short, and has thin strategically placed protective pieces. It gives me the feeling like I'm not wearing a girdle at all , but will protect my manhood, tailbone, and quads.

I too am a newbie. Can you tell me more about the inline skates? I wear a One95 now. What inline skate would be closest to that?

How is CCM/RBK, Mission, Tour, etc for inline skates? Thanks

I dont think anything would come close to the one95 in an inline skate. To get somthing like that you would have to put a roller chassis on that boot. All those brands you posted are very good for inlien skates, its just a matter or preferance or what fits you best.

I too am a newbie. Can you tell me more about the inline skates? I wear a One95 now. What inline skate would be closest to that?

How is CCM/RBK, Mission, Tour, etc for inline skates? Thanks

As someone mentioned, its not likely you will find an inline skate that is comparable to your One95's. The companies you listed each make nice skates. Mission provides a High-Lo system in two different versions. A standard High-Lo places two 72mm wheels in the front and two 80mm wheels in the back of each skate. Mission also provides a Vanguard version that places two 76mm wheels in the front and two 80mm wheels in the back of each skate. Tour provides an all 80mm wheel setup using the Labeda Hum'er chassi. The Labeda Hum'er chassis in particular has gotten great reviews on the forum. There are some threads in the forum that discuss the differences and skating feel between the standard High-Lo and Vanguard and Tours/Hum'er Chassis.

Also, each companies boot is different. For example, i've heard Mission's standard boots run more narrow than others. There are some threads that talk about boot widths, as well.

I'm sure you've seen the Sprung thread regarding their chassis. I would suggest reading it (or at least the last few pages to bring yourself up to speed on them). Most people coming from ice have found it to be most similar to recreating the feeling of ice. At this point starting out, it might not be something you want to purchase (as you'd have to purchase a boot to mount them on plus wheels and bearings) but if you have an old pair of ice skates that you don't mind sacrificing, it might be a wise investment and help ease the transition from ice to roller.

Sprungs are the closest to ice you'll get, go hit a local Play It Again if need be to get some inexpensive used boots to throw them on if that route looks good to you.

The closest ice line I can relate Missions to fitwise is the Vapor skates for a very generic comparison. Tour is a wider, high volume boot but narrower in the toe cap compared to the Supreme series. CCM/RBK and Bauer inlines fit like their ice counterparts since they are essentially rebadged low end ice boots.

I'd also like to throw in that greater than 90% of the guys in my roller leagues do not wear a girdle. I wouldn't dare not wear one on ice but in roller you can get away with it because I don't think its as fast and also the sport court doesn't hurt nearly as bad as a fall on ice. Not saying don't wear one, but its not a necessity as it is on ice. I wear mine periodically but more often than not I don't wear one.

Another thing I would add is how big a factor wheels are when you purchase skates. Wheel hardness (durometer) is dependent on your weight, skating speed, surface and other things, but its important to make sure the skates you get have good wheels. I unfortunately bought some skates with crappy wheels and then had to throw on another $75 for good wheels. Long story short, I should have just thrown that money onto the original purchase price and bought a better boot with better stock wheels.

Finally, as stated above, roller skates aren't nearly as padded as well as ice skates. They generally are not as stiff either which kinda sucks.

Finally, as stated above, roller skates aren't nearly as padded as well as ice skates. They generally are not as stiff either which kinda sucks.

Actually, quite the oppostie. A roller boot has to endure more stress, and is generally stiffer than an ice boot.

I just bought the CCM v08's and they are pretty stiff and very protected, I have taken a few pucks of em so far and havent felt anything (knock on wood).

I'm sure you've seen the Sprung thread regarding their chassis. I would suggest reading it (or at least the last few pages to bring yourself up to speed on them). Most people coming from ice have found it to be most similar to recreating the feeling of ice. At this point starting out, it might not be something you want to purchase (as you'd have to purchase a boot to mount them on plus wheels and bearings) but if you have an old pair of ice skates that you don't mind sacrificing, it might be a wise investment and help ease the transition from ice to roller.

Everyone thank for the replies!

I have not gone through this forum at all yet, so I appreciate the responses.

I like the idea of the Sprung chasis. I have worn TUUK's my whole life and do not like a forward pitch. I like to be nuetraly positioned and pitch myself when need be. So good to know about the Sprung.

I am 5'11 188lbs. What wheel durometer is suggested for someone that size?

Also, what is the difference other than size, in whells and in bearings? Thanks

Everyone thank for the replies!

I have not gone through this forum at all yet, so I appreciate the responses.

I like the idea of the Sprung chasis. I have worn TUUK's my whole life and do not like a forward pitch. I like to be nuetraly positioned and pitch myself when need be. So good to know about the Sprung.

Also, what is the difference other than size, in whells and in bearings? Thanks

There's a lot of variation in wheel manufacturers in the relative grip, rebound and durability of wheels, even at the same durometer rating. You'll have to try a few and see what you like.

At your height and weight a 76a or 78a durometer wheel is about what you're looking for, depending on your skating style.

With bearings you've got two sizes 608 and 688 (micro). You're to heavy to be skating on micro bearings.

Bearings are rated for build quality and tolerance ABEC-1 through ABEC-9 and then Swiss Lite/Swiss. The tighter build tolerance in the bearing, the more glide/better durability etc... Generally bearings aren't too expensive and can last well if you take care of them, so a nice set is worth it.

I'd also like to throw in that greater than 90% of the guys in my roller leagues do not wear a girdle. I wouldn't dare not wear one on ice but in roller you can get away with it because I don't think its as fast and also the sport court doesn't hurt nearly as bad as a fall on ice. Not saying don't wear one, but its not a necessity as it is on ice. I wear mine periodically but more often than not I don't wear one.

Interesting, Id say there are definately more girdles than not amongst our inline peeps, however, more often than not, they play on a painted concrete roller rink with brick walls.

With inline you fall and stop dead on the spot, at least with ice you get to slide, so watch out for thumbs in particular. Coach was saying the only time he gets hurt these days playing hockey is when he plays inline (thumb injuries mostly and both legues are non checking).

Interesting, Id say there are definately more girdles than not amongst our inline peeps, however, more often than not, they play on a painted concrete roller rink with brick walls.

With inline you fall and stop dead on the spot, at least with ice you get to slide, so watch out for thumbs in particular. Coach was saying the only time he gets hurt these days playing hockey is when he plays inline (thumb injuries mostly and both legues are non checking).

I think the concrete rink would be a factor with people wearing girdles. Obviously better safe than sorry in any situation. Also what did you mean about thumb injuries due to the lack of sliding? Kinda confused about that...

And Yianni for your weight I would strongly recommend against getting 78A durometer. Thats too hard and you would be slippin and slide all over. I think your between a 74A and a 76A. I myself am 6'4" 210 and use 76A's. This on sports court though, not sure of the surface you plan to play on. Also the wheels will get a little 'slipperier" with use so the 78A would be ridiculous. My .02 cents on durometer.

Actually, quite the oppostie. A roller boot has to endure more stress, and is generally stiffer than an ice boot.

And I'd have to disagree here too. Like DoubleT said, the large majority of roller boots are 'softer' than their comparable ice boot. I don't see why a roller boot has to endure more stress as you say. Obviously though if you get a high end/pro roller boot it will be as stiff as some ice boots.

roller boots have to endure different stresses than ice boots, and the companies that actually do engineering for their product make top notch skates (Mission and Tour, we'll see what Revision's skate brings) and are just as good as a majority of ice boots out there. CCM/RBK and Bauer both re-badge ice boots and slap chassis on them, so for those brands the ice boots are a better bet.

I have to agree with what was mentioned above regarding your durometer. Unless your playing outside in 70 degree+ weather and on blacktop, with your weight, the most you should using is 76A durometer.

And Yianni for your weight I would strongly recommend against getting 78A durometer. Thats too hard and you would be slippin and slide all over. I think your between a 74A and a 76A. I myself am 6'4" 210 and use 76A's. This on sports court though, not sure of the surface you plan to play on. Also the wheels will get a little 'slipperier" with use so the 78A would be ridiculous. My .02 cents on durometer.

74a would be way to soft, just to give a bit of an idea, hockey monkey has a little chart in their wheel section that says 74a - Under 150 lbs, 76A - 150-170 lbs and 78A - 160-190 lbs. It does come down to personal preference and wheel brand/model, but I'd say that chart sounds round about right. Personally I weigh 55kg (think thats about 120ish) and I feel I've gotten a good amount of grip from rink rat hotshots @ 76a on orb court (pretty much just sport court)

I think the concrete rink would be a factor with people wearing girdles. Obviously better safe than sorry in any situation. Also what did you mean about thumb injuries due to the lack of sliding? Kinda confused about that...

Im not really sure how to explain it, being able to slide converts some of the force from the impact into forwards momentum. This reduces the amount that your body needs to absorb due to the friction between the floor and your body.

Put your hand on your desk with your thumb hyper extended and apply pressure (your hand isnt meant to slide). Then repeat with something slippery under your hand. You will find you have a lesser, more even pressure across the hand because it is able to slide forwards. This would result in less damage to your hand because a lesser force of impact needs to be absorbed by your hand.

The faster you stop, the more you hurt.

The rink I will probably be playing at is zrink.com. Do most of you guy's wear your inlines on the clacktop in the street and mess around or do you have a separate pair for that? I do want to wear them in the driveway and practice so I am just wondering if that would be bad for them? Thanks

74a would be way to soft, just to give a bit of an idea, hockey monkey has a little chart in their wheel section that says 74a - Under 150 lbs, 76A - 150-170 lbs and 78A - 160-190 lbs. It does come down to personal preference and wheel brand/model, but I'd say that chart sounds round about right. Personally I weigh 55kg (think thats about 120ish) and I feel I've gotten a good amount of grip from rink rat hotshots @ 76a on orb court (pretty much just sport court)

I way one 160, but I wouldn't go as high as a 78A on sportcourt. But, as you said, equipment is always personal preference.

That chart is misleading. I'm with DoubleT again that its personal preference but there is no way that I would be able to use a 78A on sport court. I'm 6'4" 210 and I use 76A. Majority of my team is 130-170lbs and they mainly use 74A. Softer might make you skate a bit slower but traction is key.

Im not really sure how to explain it, being able to slide converts some of the force from the impact into forwards momentum. This reduces the amount that your body needs to absorb due to the friction between the floor and your body.

Put your hand on your desk with your thumb hyper extended and apply pressure (your hand isnt meant to slide). Then repeat with something slippery under your hand. You will find you have a lesser, more even pressure across the hand because it is able to slide forwards. This would result in less damage to your hand because a lesser force of impact needs to be absorbed by your hand.

The faster you stop, the more you hurt.

Darkbyte, sorry my question wasn't more specific. I completely understand difference between impact vectors and inertia of roller vs ice but I was just wondering what you meant regarding thumb injuries? I don't see how you could get a thumb injury from a fall on sport court because you come to a stop quickly upon falling...