Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thehomez

RBK 5K Skates

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new pair of skates and yesterday went to my LHS with the intention of buying a pair of Vapor XXV's given the great reviews I have heard about them. Unfortunately, after trying them on multiple times, they just didn't fit my feet too well (narrow heel and wider forefoot) and the RBK 5k's turned out to be the most comfortable and best fit, also felt like they had better ankle support too. Additionally, the salesman informed me that the RBK's fit very much like Tacks which were my favorite line of skates in the past.

So before purchasing them, I was wondering if there was any feedback on the RBK 5k's? I did a multiple searches and could not come up with anything results. Would any of you say they are the same quality/stiffness as the Vapor XXV's? Any reviews or feedback on the 5k's? And i'm looking to use them for rec/intermediate level play so will they hold up well for years despite my size and weight (6'5" 210lbs)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!! :D

RBK5KPUMPSkates.jpg

in my experience, the 5k/Talon is super comfortable for everyone because i find it be a fairly soft boot. if you plan to do alot of skating i would go for a 7k. I have found the xxv to be a fair bit stiffer than the 5k just because it is a higher price point boot.

then again, if the 5k fits you better than the 7k, go with the 5k for sure

in my experience, the 5k/Talon is super comfortable for everyone because i find it be a fairly soft boot. if you plan to do alot of skating i would go for a 7k. I have found the xxv to be a fair bit stiffer than the 5k just because it is a higher price point boot.

then again, if the 5k fits you better than the 7k, go with the 5k for sure

I agree that they do feel a bit soft but not too soft and they are fairly stiff. Do you think they will breakdown prematurely given my size? I'll probably on play on them once a week, twice a week max.

And I was trying to find/get the 6k or 7k but the store said RBK doesn't make them anymore and they can't order it. Checked online and can't find either of them in my size. Salesman said RBK is currently only selling 9k and 5k models...

I'm 6'1 and weight 165ish lbs. (yeah I'm skinny)

I bought my 5ks last august and probably averaged 3 skates a week since then.

I'm not sure if they've gotten softer or my stride and skating technique has improved, but I feel like I need a stiffer boot now.

In terms of how they are holding up:

After 3 months of use the tongues started to tear slightly at the 3rd eyelet from the top. Since then the tear has gotten slightly worse but I don't feel any bite or discomfort there.

After 5 months of use some of the stitching near my achilles tendon on the outside of the boot is coming undone, but its purely cosmetic.

I've never used the pump, the boots were just the best retail fit for my foot and the price was around where I was looking.

I hear that the 9k is the same exact fit.

I have last year's 5K's and I like them. I also found I couldn't fit into Baurs because of my wide foot. I think the 5K's are a little softer than vapor counterparts, but I find the performance to be pretty good. I would also try on the CCM V06 for comparison. I just tried on a pair last night and liked them. They should fit similar to the 5K's but without the pump. I'd say the pump is the only thing I don't care for on my skates. I'd much rather have the ankle pads like in the CCM's. They didn't have a lot of skates left, so I don't know how well the sizes translate between RBK and Baurs. I wear a 9D RBK. I was only able to try a 9.5D CCM and it felt good, but I really wanted to try a 9D for better comparison. This time of year there should be some good closeout deals, so you might want to look a model higher and try to bargain. My shop always goes 50% off when they are trying to unload the old stuff. I could have had last year's 9K's for $250 if I had the cash :(

5k is underspec'd for the price it's at - always has been. You're paying extra for the Pump. Take a V06 and it matches/exceeds the 5k spec-wise, and is cheaper. At least this year they put a glass outsole on the thing.

Minwookie, sounds like you like the skates except for some of the problems you've had. I'm not planning on skating 3 times a week so I hope that they will last at least 2 years or so. And I agree with you about the reason to get them being their fit, they fit really really well.

I have last year's 5K's and I like them. I also found I couldn't fit into Baurs because of my wide foot. I think the 5K's are a little softer than vapor counterparts, but I find the performance to be pretty good. I would also try on the CCM V06 for comparison. I just tried on a pair last night and liked them. They should fit similar to the 5K's but without the pump. I'd say the pump is the only thing I don't care for on my skates. I'd much rather have the ankle pads like in the CCM's. They didn't have a lot of skates left, so I don't know how well the sizes translate between RBK and Baurs. I wear a 9D RBK. I was only able to try a 9.5D CCM and it felt good, but I really wanted to try a 9D for better comparison. This time of year there should be some good closeout deals, so you might want to look a model higher and try to bargain. My shop always goes 50% off when they are trying to unload the old stuff. I could have had last year's 9K's for $250 if I had the cash :(

Ray, thanks for your feedback on them too. Glad you like them. They fit my foot better than Bauers too. And I actually tried on both the V06 and V08 but the fit and comfort didn't work for me. I was surprised because I thought they were basically the same exact fit as the RBK's. And my shop has the 5k's for $260 with baking and sharpening, wish they had the 9k's for that price, i'd pick them up in a second.

5k is underspec'd for the price it's at - always has been. You're paying extra for the Pump. Take a V06 and it matches/exceeds the 5k spec-wise, and is cheaper. At least this year they put a glass outsole on the thing.

And thanks for the info JR. Unfortunately the V06/V08 didn't fit my foot well and the 5k pump actually helped with my heel lock. I also felt like the 5k's had more upper ankle support which I need given I've broken both ankles. Do you think the 5k will breakdown prematurely (within a year or two) if only skated on 1-2x/week?

I dunno what to get then if none of the above mentioned skates fit as well as the 5k. Maybe just get them for now and then upgrade to 9k's or try out other models in a couple of years?

Thanks again for the advice guys! :)

And thanks for the info JR. Unfortunately the V06/V08 didn't fit my foot well and the 5k pump actually helped with my heel lock. I also felt like the 5k's had more upper ankle support which I need given I've broken both ankles. Do you think the 5k will breakdown prematurely (within a year or two) if only skated on 1-2x/week?

I just broke my left ankle wearing One95's. This is also my second broken ankle in 3 years (broke the right one last time). I'm not sure whether the extreme stiffness of the skate minimized the damage or caused the fracture. If I get back on skates I might be looking for something not quite as stiff, but I never felt as if I needed any extra ankle support. Just something to consider since you also have broken both.

And I was trying to find/get the 6k or 7k but the store said RBK doesn't make them anymore and they can't order it. Checked online and can't find either of them in my size. Salesman said RBK is currently only selling 9k and 5k models...

It's looking like Reebok is doing this across their whole range of gear.

I'm skating in a pair of 3 year old 7k's right now. If I had to replace them (with the same brand that actually fits me) today, my choices are the $500+ top-of-the-line skate that I don't need, or the "underspec'd for the price" $250 skate that I don't want.

I actually am looking to replace my current 6k shins, beacuse I'm not a fan of the FitLite suspension straps. Again, my options are the super-burly NHL-level 9k, or the 5k's that don't have Playdry or a removable liner - both important features for a sweaty guy.

I'm a fan of the next-to-top-of-the-line gear, but I may have to move away from any Reebok products in order to get that level.

P.S. - Anyone have a pair of unused 16" white with blue trim 7k shins they want to get rid of? :D

I tryed these on while trying to find a pair of skates didn't really hold my heels down because i've got narrow heels.

But if I have the pump on pretty good, the heel wont move as much.

IMO, I like the the idea how you have the pump to help support your ankles, but once the pump/air bladder goes.. it makes the boot useless.

Well, atleast for me thats the situation.

Mojo, i agree that stiffness of the boot isn't the main factor in determining the likelihood of ankle injuries. I was mainly referring to the height that the boot comes up your leg. When comparing the Vapors to the RBK's, the RBK boot came higher up on my leg than did the vapors. Though both boot heights were the same when you look at them, so i guess that means my heel sat deeper in the 5k therefore i had a higher level of support. I feel that the higher cut boot does help those with past ankle injuries. Also sorry to hear that you broke your ankle recently.

I'm skating in a pair of 3 year old 7k's right now. If I had to replace them (with the same brand that actually fits me) today, my choices are the $500+ top-of-the-line skate that I don't need, or the "underspec'd for the price" $250 skate that I don't want.

This is the exact same situation I'm in. I wish they had a pair of 7k's for me to get that would be just a bit higher in price.

And Vinceyuen, I agree that the pump helps increase the heel lock, the good thing for me is that i felt like the skate had solid heel lock prior to inflating the bladder. But if i do pump it then it s even better.

Thanks again for the help guys. Looks like thats really my only option given how well they fit. I'ma pick them up and cross my fingers that they last a couple of years. I'll report back how they turn out after using them this weekend.

I'm 6'1 and weight 165ish lbs. (yeah I'm skinny)

I bought my 5ks last august and probably averaged 3 skates a week since then.

I'm not sure if they've gotten softer or my stride and skating technique has improved, but I feel like I need a stiffer boot now.

In terms of how they are holding up:

After 3 months of use the tongues started to tear slightly at the 3rd eyelet from the top. Since then the tear has gotten slightly worse but I don't feel any bite or discomfort there.

After 5 months of use some of the stitching near my achilles tendon on the outside of the boot is coming undone, but its purely cosmetic.

I've never used the pump, the boots were just the best retail fit for my foot and the price was around where I was looking.

I hear that the 9k is the same exact fit.

They are, when i got my 9k's they had me try on a 5k in the 11ee for size because they didnt have any 9k's.

And to answer your question, honestly your going to want something stiffer. You weigh 210 youll defiantly find them too soft especially if you have a powerful stride, id go for the 8k's man if you can find them leftover or vapor xxx's for roughly the same price, the xxxx's here are $349.99, worth the extra in my eyes.

And to answer your question, honestly your going to want something stiffer. You weigh 210 youll defiantly find them too soft especially if you have a powerful stride, id go for the 8k's man if you can find them leftover or vapor xxx's for roughly the same price, the xxxx's here are $349.99, worth the extra in my eyes.

The XXXX's for $350 is a solid deal and I'd love to get them but the main problem with the Vapors was D was too narrow and EE was too wide :( I tried them on a few times to make sure they weren't comfortable and they weren't. I wasn't even looking into getting the RBKs but the fit was so good I went and got them. I'm hoping they last a year or two and considering I'm mainly a roller player trying to get back into ice, I figure I won't be playing at a highly competetive level so hopefully they won't breakdown as fast.

Any advice on taking care of boots so that they retain their stiffness? I'm assuming the best and main method is to air them out properly...

Good point, the outsole is rather soft on the 5k. The V06 felt like it was a step up when I tried it on. That said, I don't feel like my 5K is holding my game back. Once I had the radius/rocker I liked on it, I felt much better in the 5K than I did in my narrow, uncomfortable 5000 comps which I paid extra to get a mismatched pair and E width. They were still too narrow for me.

Ray, thanks for your feedback on them too. Glad you like them. They fit my foot better than Bauers too. And I actually tried on both the V06 and V08 but the fit and comfort didn't work for me. I was surprised because I thought they were basically the same exact fit as the RBK's. And my shop has the 5k's for $260 with baking and sharpening, wish they had the 9k's for that price, i'd pick them up in a second.

I think you can do better than $260 this time of year. I saw them in my shop for $200 the other day. Good luck.

I've had both 5Ks and now white 2009 9Ks. My son also skates in the 5Ks your looking at. 5ks are good skates and I skate rec just like you. After about two and a half years I wore the inner boot at the heels on my 5Ks right down to the plastic. But skates usually break down from the inside out anyhow. Pump worked as advertised with no issues. If you want to PM me, there is a place to get 7K and 9K blemished seconds at $250 for white 7Ks and $299 for white or black 9Ks. They really are a great deal. Just depends what size you are....they only have them in senior sizes, but have many sizes right now. The blems are so unnoticable that it's well worth the savings if you want to get into a higher end skate without breaking the bank to try them out. If your skating just rec I would check them out. Since you've tried the RBKs on, you know what size you need now and can order these online. Took me about a month to get used to the stiff 9Ks and for them to begin to give a little, but now I doubt I would ever go back again to a softer boot. I can actaully stop harder and tack a little better in the 9ks. I especially notice it when I change directions fast, the boot does not give as softly like the 5ks.

I got those white 9k seconds for $299 and they're awesome. I like the 5k fit, found them very comfortable but a little soft compared to the 9ks. Given the great deal on those blemished 2nds I'd do it all over again the same way. unfortunately it took about a week for me to get the skates via UPS, so the immediate gratification wasn't there! I haven't had them baked, although my LHS would do it for a fee. I don't feel like I need to bake them, the more I play in them the more comfortable they are (about 10 games in now).

Hey everyone, thanks again for the help and information. I ended up purchasing the 5k's. Kind of regretting it now given what the statements above are but i had them baked and sharpened so I guess they are non-returnable, right?

Regardless, I think they will be a good skate for me considering I'm just getting back into ice from roller and plan on playing mainly beer leagues anyways. The plan/hope is they last around 2.5 yrs then I can upgrade to a stiffer 7k or 9k at that time. What do you guys think of that?

Thanks again and I can't wait to get out there with them and see how they perform :)

I have the 5k rollers, and 9k ice.

I found when i went to the 9k (had some ccm lower end tacks previously) it was very very stiff. I almost had to learn how to skate all over. But after a few ice times i really fell in love with the 9k. the stiffness combined with a proper sharpening really let me perform much more aggressive maneuvers and be a quicker player.

the 5k were nice as well. they did however seem to be too shallow for my foot (i had some superfeet grey in there not sure how that impacted the volume.) I seemed to be having trouble getting proper heel lock. i think what happened was that i used a size 5 for the extra volume... but caused my right foot to be too short for the boot. my 9k i have a size 4.5.

let us know how it goes with those 5k!

I got those white 9k seconds for $299 and they're awesome. I like the 5k fit, found them very comfortable but a little soft compared to the 9ks. Given the great deal on those blemished 2nds I'd do it all over again the same way. unfortunately it took about a week for me to get the skates via UPS, so the immediate gratification wasn't there! I haven't had them baked, although my LHS would do it for a fee. I don't feel like I need to bake them, the more I play in them the more comfortable they are (about 10 games in now).

Yep...break em in "old school!"

Here are my white 9ks:

Picture020Small.jpg

I have the 5k rollers, and 9k ice.

I found when i went to the 9k (had some ccm lower end tacks previously) it was very very stiff. I almost had to learn how to skate all over. But after a few ice times i really fell in love with the 9k. the stiffness combined with a proper sharpening really let me perform much more aggressive maneuvers and be a quicker player.

the 5k were nice as well. they did however seem to be too shallow for my foot (i had some superfeet grey in there not sure how that impacted the volume.) I seemed to be having trouble getting proper heel lock. i think what happened was that i used a size 5 for the extra volume... but caused my right foot to be too short for the boot. my 9k i have a size 4.5.

let us know how it goes with those 5k!

Thanks for the comparison. From the sounds of it it might be wiser for me to start off with the 5k's then upgrade after they breakdown.

And SeanFLA those white 9k's are really nice. Definitely a good pick-up!

Here are my white 9ks:

Picture020Small.jpg

Those are sweet skates....I just got a pair of the older white 9K(Kovalev style) for some reason older guys in the beer league decide to put a target on my back because of the white i mean that literally. Its become constant hacking and slashing.....pretty soon my rebuttal to that is to fire the puck at the bench.....but I wont I'm not that type of person.

Instead i was thinking of getting a pair of the newer black 7 or 9K. Would i see a large difference in stiffness between the two generations of a 9K Jr. Skate?

here's my 9k size 4.5D in the kovalev style (currently awaiting some white felt for the tongues)

IMG_0161.jpg

and here's the 5k rollers in size 5D

IMG_0176.jpg

if looks count then go for the 9k in white!!

Hey guys, I finally got to skate on my new RBK 5k's this past weekend and really like them. I think for my level of play they are stiff enough and that as I improve over the year or so, then I'll be looking to upgrade to some 7k's or 9k's.

The only problems I'm having with the new skates is that I got two pretty big blisters on the inside of both heels, despite having them baked. But I have read that this is somewhat normal and part of the break-in process. Might buy some 'moleskin' to put in the skates to help prevent blisters. The other problem is that I'm a pretty bad skater on these compared to my old skates. I'm assuming its the fact that I'm coming from TUUK customs to the E-pro. I feel pretty unstable and not in control of my edges. I also feel like I might face plant as a result of the difference in pitch when compared to my old skates. I'm just hoping that I get used to the holder and that the skates break in and stop giving me blisters. Aside from that the skates are really comfortable and feel pretty solid. :)

I also had to adjust from the tuuk to the Eplus. I found that once I had the blade radius shortened and rockered a little forward I have really come to like my 5k's. Stiff enough, but I would probably have been better of with 7k's.

I also had to adjust from the tuuk to the Eplus. I found that once I had the blade radius shortened and rockered a little forward I have really come to like my 5k's. Stiff enough, but I would probably have been better of with 7k's.

Thanks for the info Ray. Glad to hear I'm not the only one having problems with the Tuuk to E-pro transition. Just out of curiosity, how did rockering the 5k's forward help you skate better on them? I thought they are already more forward pitched than Tuuks, so wouldn't a neutral or rear rocker help the transition from tuuk to e-pro?