Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

srv2miker

Funny Goalie Nicknames

Hey Guys, need some quick help:

My company is redesigning it's website, and we're all getting new profiles. Since my photo is of me wearing goalie gear, they want to add a funny goalie nickname, but I can think of a good one, can you guys give me any suggestions?

I've already thought of (and rejected)

- Sieve

- Swiss cheese

- Holey the Goalie

- Mr. Couldn't Stop A Beach Ball

Any others? Your help is much appreciated, and don't be afraid to insult me :)

Gump (as in Lorne Worsely).

There's a good line in religious goalie nicknames (Preacher, Reverend, Father, etc.) stemming from the original butterfly goalie, Clint Benedict, who was called "Prayin' Benny" for dropping to his knees. Best one was probably Roger "Father" Crozier.

"Leaky" works nicely as a metonym for "Sieve," as do "Drips" and "Taps" (also implying ritual or obsessive-compulsive post-tapping).

"Cat" is a pretty common one, with specific variations like Ric "Tabby" "Tabaracci.

Doughnuts (as in shutouts and eats too many...), as well as other signifiers of a shutout: "Bingo," "Naught," "Nada," "Zilch," "Zip," "Zippo," etc.

Coolest of all time is probbably Frank "Mr. Zero" Brimsek, followed closely by Walter "Turk" Broda.

Here's mine:

"Digger" - one of my buddies started calling me digger because I was constantly digging the puck out of my net. <_<

Not a nickname but a good story regardless. Back in the old days (not sure when), there was a goalie in the NHL who sported the number double zero. Why? "Because every time I turn around to get the puck from behind me I'm thinking, 'Uh Oh'".

haha, an old junior coach here used to refer to his goalie as sun burn, because of how often the red light would go on behind him

My high school goalie was short, always wore a green practice jersey and one day the coach just said he looked like a turtle. the name stuck.

My high school goalie was short, always wore a green practice jersey and one day the coach just said he looked like a turtle. the name stuck.

LOL, lucky he was named turtle and not booger!

instead of "Mr. Zero"

have your name as "Mr. Five Hole"

p.s.

another couple nicknames from an infamous NHL/WHA goalie was Gilles Gratton's "Gratoonie the Loonie", and Gary Smith's "The Axe" and "Suitcase" (refering to the many, many different teams he played with over the years.

I thought Billy Smith was "Axe"... but it might have been both of them, actually.

Jamie "Noodles" McLennan should also bear notice. I wonder how he's liking Japan...