Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jamie_tnt

Hockey Shops In New York

darkstar looks like a guy who actually cares for his clients Thumps up to you for keeping the old mentality alive.

There was a guy waiting at noon that bought a pair of gloves. When I asked him if he was from MSH, he looked at me like I was from another planet(not the first time I've gotten that look in the shop). When Jamie bought the gloves, I didn't know it was you and figured I would be going 0 for 2 on the MSH question! So, thanks for coming over and next time, say hello!!

Ice House in Hackensack NJ, DarkStar50 manages it. Not TOO far from NYC.

I can vouch for this shop... I've played there about 500 times and bought a pair of gloves there. I play out of Randolph, NJ so I play the avalanche (the ice house team) during the club season.

There's West Side Skate and Stick

http://www.wsskate.com/

And there's a Wonderland store at Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers

http://www.chelseapiers.com/sr01.htm

And Cosby's right by MSH:

http://www.cosbysports.com/index2.html

And Paragon Sports near Union Square (a big sports store with an OK hockey equipment selection)

http://www.paragonsports.com/webapp/wcs/st...tent=visitstore

And the NHL (Powered by Reebok) Store is also in New York, has little if any equipment, but lots of jerseys and clothes and "stuff"

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26423

That's pretty much it for Manhattan

West Side Skate is primarily a sharpening shop. Good guys but their equipment selection is limited and usually only smaller brands (Balistik, Farrell, Harrow, etc.), their skate selection is pretty much 100% Graf.

Wonderland Sports is seriously overpriced and has somewhat limited inventory mostly because its a small location. If you're going to go that route you're better off going to their main location in Brooklyn.

Cosby's is old school, haven't been inside in a while so I can't comment on their selection or inventory.

Paragon is a general sports store. Their hockey section is ok, not great, and generally mid-range pieces not top-end. They do seem to have a decent array of skates, but you never know what is and isn't in stock.

NHL Store has no equipment but plenty of NHL merchandise.

West Side Skate is definitely worth the trip IMO. More equipment selection than meets the eye. Yes, they are a Graf fitting and selling factory and do a ton of sharpening (supposed to be the best around - I've not had mine done there). But for a small place, they are great and really helpful. They play and coach, so I find their opinions pretty well informed.

Ice House in Hackensack NJ, DarkStar50 manages it. Not TOO far from NYC.

I can vouch for this shop... I've played there about 500 times and bought a pair of gloves there. I play out of Randolph, NJ so I play the avalanche (the ice house team) during the club season.

another for that. he is a good guy. one of our teammates used to work in there too, so it's like our men's league team has it's own equipment manager! he sharpens all our skates for us!!

Wow. I pretty much had the exact opposite experience at Ice House. I went there and received no service until I went out of my way to annoy the staff there (at least that was their reaction) although it appeared 3 or 4 people were working and *I think* one other customer in the store. The person I asked for help blew me off, even though as far as I could tell he wasn't doing jack shit, and someone else happened to wander by and ask what I needed 2 or 3 minutes later. I went to buy new skates, preferably One95's, and they had nothing close to my size in that or any other high end skate. I also brought in some old 595 tacks I picked up on ebay to have sharpened and to my surprise, the wait for a sharpen was around a week. Pretty much I can't recall a worse experience I've had trying to buy something in at least the past 12 months. I would not recommend the shop to anyone. Maybe its because I didn't announce to the shop when I arrived I am a member for MSH and that's what brought me to the store? I am not really sure.

So I went down the road to the Ice Vault in Wayne, NJ. I received very good service from the guy running the store, they sharpened my skates right away, and had a lot more equipment than Ice House.

Pretty much I am confused if I need to make an appointment via ModSquad to shop there or what? All I see are good reviews on this board.

This was about 3 months ago.

Ice Vault isn't "just down the road", it's a good half hour away at least. And I've never heard of there EVER beeing a wait for a week for sharpening. pickup for the next day, at most.

i'm not saying you didn't have a bad experience, or that you didn't get the help you wanted, but don't exxagerate.

Ice Vault isn't "just down the road", it's a good half hour away at least. And I've never heard of there EVER beeing a wait for a week for sharpening. pickup for the next day, at most.

i'm not saying you didn't have a bad experience, or that you didn't get the help you wanted, but don't exxagerate.

I am not exaggerating. If I remember correctly the kid at the front desk told me "At least 5 days wait."

And, for this discussion (Hockey shops within a driving distance of Manhattan) I think referring to Ice Vault as "down the road" is pretty much on point. It's not as if there are a ton of shops in the area, and it is about ~15 miles farther from Manhattan.

Wow. I pretty much had the exact opposite experience at Ice House. I went there and received no service until I went out of my way to annoy the staff there (at least that was their reaction) although it appeared 3 or 4 people were working and *I think* one other customer in the store. The person I asked for help blew me off, even though as far as I could tell he wasn't doing jack shit, and someone else happened to wander by and ask what I needed 2 or 3 minutes later. I went to buy new skates, preferably One95's, and they had nothing close to my size in that or any other high end skate. I also brought in some old 595 tacks I picked up on ebay to have sharpened and to my surprise, the wait for a sharpen was around a week. Pretty much I can't recall a worse experience I've had trying to buy something in at least the past 12 months. I would not recommend the shop to anyone. Maybe its because I didn't announce to the shop when I arrived I am a member for MSH and that's what brought me to the store? I am not really sure.

So I went down the road to the Ice Vault in Wayne, NJ. I received very good service from the guy running the store, they sharpened my skates right away, and had a lot more equipment than Ice House.

Pretty much I am confused if I need to make an appointment via ModSquad to shop there or what? All I see are good reviews on this board.

This was about 3 months ago.

If this happened 3 months ago or 3 days ago, if anybody said it was a week to get your skates done, they were pulling your leg. Our question is always "do you want to wait?" As for skate inventory, the ONE95 is in its second season at retail. As the buyer, I don't go deep in year 2 of any skate when I know that new skates are due in the spring, especially in the Supreme line. As for Vapor skates, I know we have inventory in that product. The rest of the high end skate brands = inventory $ with fair sell through. This is my experience in my territory. I am not speaking for any other part of the US with brand sell through. Ice Vault does have a lot of inventory in equipment. You can probably get some really good buys there on the gear they still have since day 1, about 5 year old product if anyone is interested.

If you decide to try Ice House Pro Shop again, ask for Peter. I'll make it right. I'm interested to know if you ever bought new skates.

If this happened 3 months ago or 3 days ago, if anybody said it was a week to get your skates done, they were pulling your leg. Our question is always "do you want to wait?" As for skate inventory, the ONE95 is in its second season at retail. As the buyer, I don't go deep in year 2 of any skate when I know that new skates are due in the spring, especially in the Supreme line. As for Vapor skates, I know we have inventory in that product. The rest of the high end skate brands = inventory $ with fair sell through. This is my experience in my territory. I am not speaking for any other part of the US with brand sell through. Ice Vault does have a lot of inventory in equipment. You can probably get some really good buys there on the gear they still have since day 1, about 5 year old product if anyone is interested.

If you decide to try Ice House Pro Shop again, ask for Peter. I'll make it right. I'm interested to know if you ever bought new skates.

I bought ONE95's at Ice Vault. I am not really sure why the kid at the front desk would tell me that about the sharpening. Maybe that is something you should look into. As well as the 2 other people in the shop talking to the guy sharpening skates instead of helping my buddy and I out.

All this being said, I appreciate your response, it is very reasonable. My post was legitimately what happened to me on my visit, but being that there are ONLY good reviews here on MSH regarding your shop, I was pretty confused. If I decide to stop by the shop again, I will ask for Peter this time.

I bought ONE95's at Ice Vault. I am not really sure why the kid at the front desk would tell me that about the sharpening. Maybe that is something you should look into. As well as the 2 other people in the shop talking to the guy sharpening skates instead of helping my buddy and I out.

All this being said, I appreciate your response, it is very reasonable. My post was legitimately what happened to me on my visit, but being that there are ONLY good reviews here on MSH regarding your shop, I was pretty confused. If I decide to stop by the shop again, I will ask for Peter this time.

Pete's a good guy and won't treat you wrong...he's also full of good hockey stories. If the shop isn't busy, stick around. It's always good to talk "shop" at the shop!

Yesterday, I had former Peterborough Pete Darren Treloar in the shop with his 2 boys and wife on vacation from Norway. Darren had the family at the Rangers/Pens game at MSG on Monday night. I asked him how he found out about the shop. He said he was at the game sitting next to a guy from Calgary that said if you are looking for gear, go to Ice House. So, if by some crazy chance, the guy from Calgary heard about the shop through MSH, major thanks!! Darren spent ten years playing in Sweden. We had a great time talking about his OHL days back in the 80s when he was playing.

And #96 was in the shop, too at the same time. Small world, this circle of hockey.

so is there anything around the area of hicksville, NY ? I am staying at a days inn there and im doing some work at an office building of Long Island Jewish Hospital.

English- right in Hicksville is Cantiague Park, rink isn't NHL size and i'm not sure about any open hockey. A few miles north is Iceworks in Syosset where the Islanders practice, open hockey on the small rink every night but monday. Those are probably the 2 closest rinks, if your looking for more options or stores let me know and I can point you in the right direction.