Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Bob

A wake up call for the NHL & NHLPA

I never thought low scoring is a problem, the most popular sport "Soccer" in the world is low scoring and they play 90mins. It's the flow and the defensive mindedness. If the scores get too high it'll be ridiculous, there's nothing wrong with a good defence. Maybe they should think about a 0 tolerance hands on grabing like soccer and basketball, no pulling jerseys you know the stuff Mario hates.

There are many, many problems with the NHL. Lack of O and and exciting style is one of them. Did you know that Charlie Huddy ... yes Charlie FREAKIN Huddy ... a stay at home d-man for the Oilers had 20 goals in the 80's one year! YIKES!

A question. How exciting is the NBA? Talk about complete crap! Yet they dont have issues with revenue generation.

The correct answer to solve this problem is going to be a little bit of everything. This is usually the case to everything in life in general.

- Better marketing - someone fire Betman NOW!

- Get rid of the damn trap and promote the established players like Forsberg, Sakic, Mario et all. Promote the hell out of the up and comers like Heatly Kovy, Zetterberg, and Tanguay.

- Salary Cap ... yes its needed so all cities have a fair shot at the Stanley Cup.

- Hockey in the South East??? What are you nuts??? Know your limitations and fan appeal. Bring more hockey back to Canada where it belongs! Get revenues back up then go back to other markets. The salary cap may help in this area.

Just a few thoughts but this thing is gonna be long and ugly.

Ponty I agree for the most part, Carolina certainly doesn't seem to be a good place for hockey. Meanwhile the Flames left Atlanta due to new ownership, not a problem with fan support.

The biggest problem is how do you beat the trap?

Call the penalties that SHOULD be called. Like someone said I dont care if I see 20 PPs per game for a bit.

Someone ... anyone needs to come up with an O scheme that is exciting, new, and wins game. This more than anything would beat the teaching and implementing of the trap.

No easy answers here for sure.

But the trap and interference aren't the same thing. I agree, call the stuff that's in the book already.

I would argue that one leads to the other. Its all open for debate but I despise the day the Lemaire implemented it when he was with Montreal.

My overly simplistic view on this is that one leads to the other. Unspoken political pressure internal to the NHL and teams may help as well.

All I know is a hate the day when Lemaire implemented the trap when he was with Montreal.

But the trap and interference aren't the same thing. I agree, call the stuff that's in the book already.

However if you called the interference, the trap would cease to be nearly as effective. It's use is based on the ability to tie up players away from the puck.

However if you called the interference, the trap would cease to be nearly as effective.

Wouldn't the same thing be true for all defensive styles and not just a passive 1-2-2 trap?

like he said get rid of the two line pass... however, if you do get rid of two line pass, I think icing should go to european style to help people not get killed in the corners. This way there will be a lot more flow cause teams know they have no chance of getting the puck if they dump in before the red line... why do you think youth hockey is like that? To help them develop passing skills and flow.

The AHL has already implemented no touch icing, along with bringing back touch up offsides, for this coming season as a test to see how it works in the pro game.

However if you called the interference, the trap would cease to be nearly as effective.

Wouldn't the same thing be true for all defensive styles and not just a passive 1-2-2 trap?

The "trap" is based on players getting caught or pushed into an area where they cannot recieve a pass..ie across two lines, as well as coverage of the skating and now limited passing lanes. By removing the ability to move the puck "forward" a cross ice pass or a return to the defensive zone attempt is now the most viable alternative(read dangerous), or being forced to dump the puck prior to crossing the redline. In order to be effective, usually at least one player must be held up, or otherwise illegally kept in a position where a pass to that player is not effective. This allows the defending team to achieve numbers superioriy against whoever is handling the puck, forcing them to make a "safer" move back into the defensive zone, or force a dump in prematurely. That's why a "trap" is rarely 1-2-2, but more likely 1-3-1 or even 1-4. The whole point of the trap is to prevent offensive penetration with speed, and to force lateral or backwards movement of the puck, to where a cross ice pass can be picked off.

That is why removing the two line pass rule could eliminate the trap....it takes away the current limitations of the forward pass, forcing defenses to spread out their coverage...thus opening not only better passing lanes, but skating space as well.

Just "coverage" where the player away from the puck is not actually tied up physically, but simply "shadowed" is what defensive systems are supposed to use to be "legal"...then it becomes a skaters battle as to whom can get free most effectively. Of course this constant movement can favor teams with better skaters, and is also more tiring to play.

I agree that two line passes may help cut down on the effectiveness of the trap, but it's still a very effective way to play defense and have your players positioned.