Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blue_line

Bauer One95 OPS vs separate

I was looking for a replacement for my One90, which I love but has been completely discontinued by Bauer. I saw that one can buy a One95 Int shaft and a senior blade for $68 and $49, respectively, from TotalHockey (probably similar prices elsewhere) versus the OPS at $179 (Int Flex). Can anyone provide some insight into what the differences would be? I can imagine that the feel would be slightly different, maybe more muted with the 2-piece option, but otherwise for performance?

Thanks in advance

John

The taper is different on the two sticks you are looking at... The OPS will have a .520 taper and the two piece version will have a .620 taper or a "standard" taper as some would call it.. Essentially the OPS will have a lower kickpoint then the two piece version.

Every company now a days pretty much makes two shafts. A tapered shaft and a standard shaft.. The One90 that year was Bauers "Standard" shaft with a .620 taper and the Vapor XXX was their "Tapered" version with a .520 taper. All of Bauers OPS have either a .470 low kick point taper or a .520 low mid kickpoint taper.

my bad, without going into the realms of the stick cutting master topic.. so if i had a broken one90/95 OPS and i wanted to put a replacement blade in the correct, you'd have to put a vapor 40 .520 tapared blade in there rather then the standard .620 one90/95? bizarre.

If your trying to put a blade in a OPS youll have to use a tapered blade and in my experience youll have a tough time with the Bauers. The easiest way is to flip the stick around and insert the blade into the buttend of the stick. But yes the OPS have a .520 taper which would require the appropriate blade if you were able to clean the hosel out of the shaft properly.

The problem with flipping shafts is they can feel strange, especially if there is some taper left on the now handle end of the stick (the old blade end). This is because the flex point becomes really high (and the handle skinny if taper is left). In a pinch it works, but I definitely recommend carefully cutting the blade end until you get to the proper shaft dimensions for a tapered blade. You may lose a bit of stick length, but you can always throw a plug in to re-lengthen the shaft and the stick will feel pretty normal when done properly

I was curious about the same thing as well. I tried a One95 OPS and really liked the puck feel. I'd like to know how the puck feel of a two-piece One95 is compared to the OPS, and whether the standard taper makes it feel whippier. To be honest the intermediate (67 flex) One95 that I held seemed stiffer than my Dolomite 75.

The difference between the One95 OPS and the two piece will be the kick point of the stick... the OPS has a .520 and the two piece has a .620 therefore the OPS will technically have a lower kickpoint but whether or not you can actually tell the difference is up to you.

Here's another angle to think about:

I'm 5'8" and have to cut down my 85 flex shafts/sticks. I noticed when I cut down my 2 pc. One95 shaft I effectively increased my shaft flex to around 112ish(according to the legend Bauer prints on the shaft). I use Warrior blades, and the AK27 standard shaft blade has a fairly long hosel. This made the stick a bit too stiff for me to flex properly.

I decided to try a One95 one piece in the same flex, and when I cut down the shaft equal to that of my 2 pc. equivalent the shaft flex showed to be more like 103ish. You would think the hosel of the Warrior blade in the 2 pc. would have a little flex and basically equal out to the same flex as my one piece, but my one piece definitely feels less stiff. So the 1pc. turned out to be a better choice for me for a reason that's probably different than most.

Some of this may have to to do with the one piece being a tapered shaft, but I think much of it has to do with the decreased flex....

I was looking for a replacement for my One90, which I love but has been completely discontinued by Bauer. I saw that one can buy a One95 Int shaft and a senior blade for $68 and $49, respectively, from TotalHockey (probably similar prices elsewhere) versus the OPS at $179 (Int Flex). Can anyone provide some insight into what the differences would be? I can imagine that the feel would be slightly different, maybe more muted with the 2-piece option, but otherwise for performance?

Thanks in advance

John

I like two-piece sticks, but for some reason the price of the One95 shaft (~ $85 USD) makes me skeptical of the quality. Most companies' highest-end shafts sell for about $100-$130. (Vapor XXXX, Easton SE16, Warrior Dolomite, Rbk, etc.)

In my opinion, Nike Bauer did not design the One95 shaft to perform anywhere close to the One95 one-piece. For one, it's not even a tapered shaft. And again, the "low" price makes it look like a price-point stick, meaning it's built to be more durable at the sacrifice of performance.

I had the same skepticism and I am not really sure whether or not my mind is made up. The One95 shafts definitely aren't all that light, but neither are the OPS versions. Personally I am guessing that One95s are just cheaper to produce for whatever reason and they use the 2-piece model as market segmentation to get customers that would not be willing to pay for the 1 piece sticks. The feel overall is good, and I get good slappers out of my One95 two piece. I prefer my synergy elites in almost every category other than slap shots though. I should also note that my slapshot is kind of crappy so it's no really the best measure. I can't really figure out why it's better with the One95. I have tried a few sticks and just can't get the same results, but I still prefer other sticks for feel and quick shots / wristers which are pretty much the only shots I take.

Easton is a bit rediculous in that if you pay retail their shaft / blade combos cost about the same as a OPS. So, I am not sure that's a good comparison (this is also why I only buy easton shafts if they are on closeout).

In my opinion, the One95 shafts are a good value, but I personally prefer lighter shafts myself.

I went from Easton SE Drury to the One95 two-piece (w/ One95 P91A blade). Honestly, while the weight might be a few more grams, the balance of the One95 shaft and blade together make that negligible for me. I'm picky about my sticks, as I'm sure most of you on here are, but I've tried Bauer/NBH sticks and shafts in the past and this combo feels totally different to me. The shaft feels consistent after a couple months of use, and the blade is definitely the best replacement blade I've played with.

I'll definitely echo the statement about stiffness rising dramatically with the cut shaft, so make sure you check it out before you buy. I would buy the 102-flex one-piece, but I went with the 87-flex shaft because the point where I cut it put that shaft over 100-flex.

The lower price of the shaft makes this a great buy for me, it comes highly recommended as far as I'm concerned.