Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colin20

Best way to clean hockey shafts?

I picked up a Bernier S17 and a Bernier One95 from the Canucks equipment sale this morning. Both sticks are in great physical condition, the only thing is Bernier rubbed black tape glue on parts of both shafts. I was wondering if anybody here has had experience removing this glue and what is the best thing to clean the sticks with.

I picked up a Bernier S17 and a Bernier One95 from the Canucks equipment sale this morning. Both sticks are in great physical condition, the only thing is Bernier rubbed black tape glue on parts of both shafts. I was wondering if anybody here has had experience removing this glue and what the best thing to clean the sticks with.

goo gone works.

I picked up a Bernier S17 and a Bernier One95 from the Canucks equipment sale this morning. Both sticks are in great physical condition, the only thing is Bernier rubbed black tape glue on parts of both shafts. I was wondering if anybody here has had experience removing this glue and what is the best thing to clean the sticks with.

goo gone is a good suggestion. you can also try rubbing it with mineral spirits on a paper towel. i use it all the time on my golf clubs when removing price stickers and grip tape when regripping.

I picked up a Bernier S17 and a Bernier One95 from the Canucks equipment sale this morning. Both sticks are in great physical condition, the only thing is Bernier rubbed black tape glue on parts of both shafts. I was wondering if anybody here has had experience removing this glue and what the best thing to clean the sticks with.

goo gone works.

^ This

Lucky! Don't they have plugs in them? I wanted to go so bad.

No, they had the plugs pulled out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give the goo gone a shot.

No, they had the plugs pulled out.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give the goo gone a shot.

Makes sense for the sale. How much for the two sticks combined? I need to visit next year's sale.

A bit off topic but I bought a Bernier ONE95 as well. Does the black tacky residue come from use or does that come from Bernier rubbing a ball of black tape on it?

Wow I just finished trying to get the sticky stuff off my old ST. lol I put it on myself, but a few weeks later I realized that I had made a mistake :P. Oh well, I guess I learned the hard way on that one...

Anyways, I got mine off by sock taping the entire shaft of the stick, then slowly peeling the tape back off. Goo Gone is probably less time consuming, more effective, and overall better, but I did not have any, so I just did it with regular old sock tape. It worked ok, but after I took the sock tape off, it almost gave the shaft the feel of a stick that was supposed to have grip on it but some has worn off... idk I would probably just go with goo gone, but sock tape would also do it, just not as good.

mickz, the black gooey stuff on your stick is a form of grip players use. basically they use a beater stick with black tape wrapped around the wrong way. it is not from general use.

the only way to completely remove all black "grip" is to use paint thinner, but use in moderation.

the sock tape at times does remove graphics from sticks, mostly easons and ccm's. bauer's typically aren't too bad.

mickz, the black gooey stuff on your stick is a form of grip players use. basically they use a beater stick with black tape wrapped around the wrong way. it is not from general use.

the only way to completely remove all black "grip" is to use paint thinner, but use in moderation.

the sock tape at times does remove graphics from sticks, mostly easons and ccm's. bauer's typically aren't too bad.

The silver EASTON logo on my S17 completely ripped of after trying sock-tape. Lol, I ruined all of the graphics.

I tried a little Wd-40 on tape residue and it worked great. Well, it worked on the white residue that comes off of the gun tape or 100 mph tape that I use on blade toes.

I tried a little Wd-40 on tape residue and it worked great. Well, it worked on the white residue that comes off of the gun tape or 100 mph tape that I use on blade toes.

You use Duct tape on your stick blades?

I can smell the natty lite and unwashed sleeveless flannel shirt from here.

I can smell the natty lite and unwashed sleeveless flannel shirt from here.

I found that the toes of my composite blades got chipped really fast (four games at most) and it softned up the blades after a month of use. So I tried a strip of hockey tape on the front of the toe and it helped but that would only work for a game and it too would allow the chipping, just less of it (it wears out about three times as fast as the tape at the bottom of the blade) So now I use some narrow gun tape (left over from when I was in the army) on the toe than hockey tape over that. It keeps the chipping to a minimum for about three games. The only problem is that gun tape is stickier than duct tape so it leave a lot of sticky residue on the blade. I thing gaff tape maybe the ultimate solution but it's hard to come by and is rather expensive for tape.

I find that gun tape or duct tape is good for a lot of hockey stuff, mostly little things like keeping the end of straps for pants from slipping out of the buckles or the soft plastic things that attach your chinstrap to your helmet from coming apart in the middle of a game; too many years of taping up my webbing before excercises I guess.

What's natty lite?

Worse than Keystone Light...

Oh, some sort of beer. Sorry as a Canadian didn't get the reference, and we like real beer.

I gave the Goo Gone a try and it worked great! Both sticks came clean in no time and are in very good condition. I picked them up for $75 each plus tax ($170 total for the two).

I gave the Goo Gone a try and it worked great! Both sticks came clean in no time and are in very good condition. I picked them up for $75 each plus tax ($170 total for the two).

Good deal. How much were gloves?

Jimbo, wouldn't the sock tape rip off the graphics as well?

Haha as soon as I finished putting the tape on, I was like Oh crap, this is an Easton! Because like Eastons cosmetics are usually bad, just ask GoNucksGo...

But I peeled it off slowly... really slowly... took me about 25 minutes... and there was only minor collateral damage, mostly to the chrome trim of the stick. But yeah I wouldn't do it to an S17 as most of the graphics are that loose chrome that are on alot of the Eastons. Just go with Goo gone, because it's meant to do stuff like this; sock tape is not.

natty light=generic bud light.

I'd add a vote for goo gone. I'd personally be concerned about some of the more caustic slovents listed here so far having the ability to damage the shaft itself.