Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leafsrule16

Greatest minor leaguer of all time

Sather brought him to Oilers training camp one year. He didn't last long at that level.

Thats what I was thinknig when I saw his HDB profile. He was playing against much inferior competition compared to NHL

No. I'll look it up in an IHL record book here in a minute.

Tony Hrkac and Hubie McDonough were two I was thinking of. The "Hrkac circus" was prolific and always impressive in the IHL back in the 1990's.

I get a little nostalgic for the IHL. Micheal Mongeau and Steve Tuttle. Colin Chin, Jock Collender. Rick Knickle, Pokey Reddick. Wade Flaherty.

+1 for Hubie

Miss the Solar Bears.

Sather brought him to Oilers training camp one year. He didn't last long at that level.

Thats what I was thinknig when I saw his HDB profile. He was playing against much inferior competition compared to NHL

How good/bad would the league he was playing be? Like, a step above beer league or pretty respectable hockey? Still, the guy must have a great deal of skill to rip apart the league like that.

Rob Drummond. This dude knows how to scrap. He recieved a 2, 5 AND 10, along with a Game Misconduct in the lone game I went to see him, all for one fight. :D it was impressive.

He went back home due to being homesick and the money being much less at the time, I'm not claiming this guy would have even made the NHL but hes in his 40's and still dominates in the same league he always has, now without dropping a level how many players have stayed at that production level and not gone stale?

Edit: Found some quotes and text.

So impressive was he that Glen Sather and the Edmonton Oilers scouted him and drafted him in 1986. The Oilers even brought him over to training camp in 1986. He survived all 14 days of training camp despite breaking his only stick on the first day of camp and borrowing Marty McSorley's the rest of the way. The Oilers were impressed enough to offer him a chance to further his development with Victoria in Canadian junior hockey, as Sather suggested '"At the training camp I could see that he had a great ability to read the ice and he was the smartest player there other than Wayne Gretzky. He skated well. His intelligence on the ice stood out. He was a real prospect."

Hand reported to Victoria, a city that is said to be "more British than London," but after scoring 4 goals and 8 points in just 3 games in the WHL, Hand opted to return to Murrayfield. He was said to be suffering from homesickness and exhaustion. The hectic training schedules as well as intense media interest soured Hand on his Canadian experience. Plus he was paid well to play professionally in the BHL.