Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leafsrule16

Greatest minor leaguer of all time

Thought this'd be an interesting question. Whos the greatest player to never make it to never land a fulltime job in the nhl? Ahl/Ihl, doesnt matter. Just curious + thought this would be a cool topic.

depends on if you mean most skilled player or player that had a ton of points and was never able to make the jump.

if you mean skill then i would say currently i would pick robbie schremp

Steve Tsujuira was awesome for the Maine Mariners. There was a guy who played for the Rochester Americans forever. I think he might have had about 87 thousand points over his career. Can't remember who, though. The name Jody Gage rings a bell, but for some reason, I think it's someone else.

According to last years AHL Record Book, the 3 1,000+ pts AHLers are:

1. Willie Marshall (20 seasons) 1205GP / 523G / 852A / 1375Pts

2. Fred Glover (20s) 1201GP / 520G / 814A / 1334Pts

3. Jody Gage (17s) 1038GP / 504 G / 544A / 1048Pts

FYI...Bruce Boudreau is a ways down the list:

11 seasons 634GP / 316G / 483A / 799Pts

Nice call on Maltais! Just shy of 600 career goals.

Krog, nice guy, but, nowhere close to the numbers of Gruhl, Maltais and Kerr.

Steve Maltais, anyone? And in a couple of years Martin St.Pierre or the previously mentioned Jason Krog.

Thanks. I remember watching him way back when on the Wolves

Nice call on Maltais! Just shy of 600 career goals.

Krog, nice guy, but, nowhere close to the numbers of Gruhl, Maltais and Kerr.

Steve Maltais, anyone? And in a couple of years Martin St.Pierre or the previously mentioned Jason Krog.

Thanks. I remember watching him way back when on the Wolves

maltais was my coach the last 2 years, great guy

Keith Aucoin is working his way into this conversation these days and I think Steve Guolla could make a case since he lit up the "A" while he was there.

Greg Pankewicz had two cups of coffee in the NHL but never stuck.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=4131

I saw him on the way up when he played with the PEI Senators. A guy back home added Pankewicz to the back of a blank Sens jersey. He just used a marker, though, and he didn't center it well so it ended up running half way down the right sleeve. Funny stuff.

Greg Pankewicz had two cups of coffee in the NHL but never stuck.

Pankewicz is an animal... 40 years old and still puts up clost to 1.5 Points per game AND 250 + PIM on a consistent basis... Age cant slow him down..

Others with amazing careers in the minors:

Bruce Boudreau?

There is an arguement for Boudreau. The title says "greatest minor leaguer of all time". While at first, we all go to the players, coaches are minor leaguers too.

As a player Boudreau had 336 goals, 510 assists for 846 points

AS a coach Boudreau had a 340-215-45 record, winning a Calder cup, and getting to the finals again.

That is a distinguished and accomplished career as both a player and coach

But I'm biased, and also have no clue about the AHL either

There must be something about playing for the Cornwall Royals. I saw Maltais play there when he was a junior. The other Royal who had a great minor league career was defenceman John Slaney. Marc Crawford was behind the bench for Cornwall when I saw Owen Nolan play for the Royals.

Scott Gruhl and Steve Maltais are certainly great candidates. I know Rob Brown had a few regular seasons with The Penguins but he was another that really tore up the original IHL.

I would say that there are probably none who have played well in the minors and not had game time in the big. But there are certainly arguably many who have had great success in the minors with little in the big.

I am trying to think of the guy who played very well in the IHL in the '90's for teams like San Diego Gulls, Peoria Rivermen, Milwaukee Admirals and had brief stints with The Blues in the late 80's and again in the middle 90's. First name Tony I want to say. The guy was always right there in points with Rob Brown. Like 100 point seasons.

My brother and I went to IHL games a lot and had season tickets to our area's franchise.

Scott Gruhl and Steve Maltais are certainly great candidates. I know Rob Brown had a few regular seasons with The Penguins but he was another that really tore up the original IHL.

I would say that there are probably none who have played well in the minors and not had game time in the big. But there are certainly arguably many who have had great success in the minors with little in the big.

I am trying to think of the guy who played very well in the IHL in the '90's for teams like San Diego Gulls, Peoria Rivermen, Milwaukee Admirals and had brief stints with The Blues in the late 80's and again in the middle 90's. First name Tony I want to say. The guy was always right there in points with Rob Brown. Like 100 point seasons.

My brother and I went to IHL games a lot and had season tickets to our area's franchise.

Tuzzolino?

No. I'll look it up in an IHL record book here in a minute.

Tony Hrkac and Hubie McDonough were two I was thinking of. The "Hrkac circus" was prolific and always impressive in the IHL back in the 1990's.

I get a little nostalgic for the IHL. Micheal Mongeau and Steve Tuttle. Colin Chin, Jock Collender. Rick Knickle, Pokey Reddick. Wade Flaherty.

Where is wade flaherty playing , or did he retire? Also, i was wondering what is the record for most points in a minor league season (ahl, echl). The ihl, was that close to the ahl level?

I think that I recently read that Wade is a goaltender coach on the professional level. Like for an AHL or NHL team or something. I think he last played NHL with The Islanders two seasons ago before going to Europe or something.

Flaherty was always so reliable and great work ethic it seemed. One of my earliest influences I guess in the position of goaltender.

The IHL was in direct competition with the AHL for many years serving as the primary conditioning league for many NHL teams. Many NHL teams had agreements with IHL teams as their primary farm club and AHL teams as secondary affiliations. The IHL ceased operations in 2001 and the better franchises went to the AHL.

The IHL reformed two seasons ago but I think over about half the leagues teams are in Michigan. Last time I checked, the new IHL had like eight teams.

During one of the NHL strikes, many of the National team owner grew very disappointed when NHL players were playing in the International league and they felt the two leagues competed greatly in some markets. Affiliations were switch to help knock down the I a few notches among other issues.

Where is wade flaherty playing , or did he retire? Also, i was wondering what is the record for most points in a minor league season (ahl, echl). The ihl, was that close to the ahl level?

Most points individual players. John Cullen 157 points in 87-88. Rob Brown in second and third with 155 and 143

Most points for a team. San Diego Gulls 132 going 62-12-8 and The Blades and Rivermen are a little lower on that list.