Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

longtrav

advice going from mission hi-lo 72/80 to mission 76/80

Hi, had a old pair of mission RPM about 7 years old that are 72/80. My stick is a little under my chin with that skate and I'm used to that height. I got a new pair of mission commanders/black. They are 76/80.

Do they sit up higher? should I add some height to my stick? I'm a little worried about messing up my shot.

what are your tips and experiences? like will I go faster :) - thanks

Yes, you will be more on your heels and feel higher off the ground. You will have higher top speed but acceleration is slower and turning radius is a bit longer.

Personally I went back to the 72/80 hi-lo. Faster acceleration and sharper turning. The top end speed isn't the same but I was never fast to start with anyways.

I never noticed the height difference but I did notice the fact that the Vanguards are not pitched forward as much as the hil-lo's. I was not able to get used to that at all.

I ended up putting in a heel lift which helped out quit a bit, but the still were not quite the same. Just this past week I also added some superfeet insoles and now the skates feel exactly the same as my old hi-lo's. They feel amazing now.

Yes, you will be more on your heels and feel higher off the ground. You will have higher top speed but acceleration is slower and turning radius is a bit longer.

Personally I went back to the 72/80 hi-lo. Faster acceleration and sharper turning. The top end speed isn't the same but I was never fast to start with anyways.

ahh, now I'm scared thats my whole game. Everyone jokes about how slow I go, yet I seem to get around everyone.....speed is not my game........

I guess I should just try them our they feel nice on my feet at least.

IS a heel lift just the little pads you get on your heels from the store, thanks

I believe the heel lift goes between the chassis and the outsole of the boot. Try playing the first hour with the new skates and the next with your old skates. It was like night and day when I switched back to the regular hi-lo skates.

I guess I should just try them our they feel nice on my feet at least.

That would be a good first step before looking to change things. Give it a couple of skates, then decide if you need to mod or change anything.

wow, sorry about the spelling. I did notice that when I skated in them for a few minutes that when I switched back to the hi-lo (72/80 ) I felt real low and that I was going to trip forward over my toes....I hope I can just get used to them. I spent a good deal on them to switch back to 6-7 year old skates :)

Is the acceleration and turning really that much off? how much are we talking about.....thanks guys for the ideas

I snagged another pair of brand new He10000's and switched back to those(hi-lo) from my Boss Blacks(Vanguard) tonight, and fell in love all over again with the hi-lo's and the He10000's skates....I had got used to the Vanguards and was reminded tonight how much quicker I was on the Hi-lo's...I had no problem at all switching back cold turkey to the hi-lo's, and will be putting the Boss's on the back burner for awhile...

I am surprised so many people like the original hi-lo so much better. I can't say I've noticed too big of a difference

I think it has to do with feeling like your leaning more forward on the hi-lo and it seems to give you a much faster take off...Now top end speed there is no diffrence to me...But stopping/starting and turning is much better on hi-lo's for me...

The pitch hasn't made any difference for me (one way or the other) after adjusting.

I definitely prefer the extra grip of the vanguards, I'm slipping a lot less after switching.

longtrav:

how did it work out with the 76/80 setup?

the reason i ask is because my last inline skates were mission RPMs. i haven't skated in them in about 3-1/2 years. i just got the urge to play some inline but my RPMs are falling apart so i purchased some proto vsi's online. i'm waiting for them to arrive. i loved my rpms and the 72/80 setup. i wonder how i'll like the 76/80.

are the original hi/lo chassis still available? i don't see any online and i wouldn't want to use my vibe 2's from my RPM's because they chassis is slightly bent.

i have only played ice for almost 4 years. i just skated a couple times in my old rpm's with the tradition 72/80 setup. i then received my new proto vsi's in the mail and skated a couple times on them. it felt like my straight line stride was a little better/faster with the 76/80 setup but i wasn't able to turn as tight and i wasn't as agile. these differences only seem related to the more neutral skate pitch and the additional height of the 76/80 setup. i wouldn't say this was because i was used to the 72/80 setup because i haven't been on inline skates in almost four years. i think thats enough ice skating to lose my muscle memory for inline (i forgot how to stop on inline skates too).

what annoys me is that there is plenty of gap between the bottom of the boot and the 76mm wheels. mission could have kept the same pitch with the 76/80 setup to keep hilo fans happy and still benefit from the slower bearing speed and addtional contact patch of a 76mm wheel.

i've tried the vanguard chassis (mission soldier) for a few months and never get used to them. Finally, went back to the traditional hi-lo.

I've bought a pair of nikebauer XXVR and fall inloved with them. They fits like a glove, looks really nice, and perform better than any skate i've ever had.

It's a shame Bauer is using the Vanguard chassis on its new skates..............