Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

start_today

How do I properly use a honing stone?

I recently purchased a Miraclestone. I have sort of pieced together how to use it through reading anecdotes and common sense, but I would appreciate if someone could post "instructions" as well as an any care or cleaning tips. Thanks.

The Miraclestone has to be wet for it to work. It will not slide along a dry blade.

Spray blade with a water bottle, or if in the locker room, drop a few drops of water on your blade

Hone skate

To clean it, use citrus cleaner, Goof-Off or some sort of mild degreaser.

Spray blade with a water bottle, or if in the locker room, drop a few drops of water on your blade

Hone skate

Some people might not know how to do this either- I've seen a few guys use a stone on the bottom of their skate or say they don't work when they have to sharpen their skates after using a stone.

Place the wide part of the stone against the flat of the blade-> the tall sides NOT THE BOTTOM

Press the stone against the side of the blade and slide it along fully from heel to toe, 1 to 3 times, and repeat on the other side. Starting at one end and going fully to the other will help ensure you're getting the deformed metal closer to where you want it.

This will take off any burrs that have formed and will help stand up the edge that has been pressed out or deformed outward from skating. It will NOT put a new edge on the skate and should not be substituted for sharpening.