Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jgiant

"Better Butt End" wooden end plug?

Just came across this end plug, first time I've seen one of these. I suppose it's slightly similar to the Oggie Ergo, but is there any validity to the claim that the "angled grip allows for a more natural stick position". Seems to me like it would feel very awkward. Has anyone tried this?

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=BBEP

The Better Butt End Hockey stick end plugs offers a unique angled grip that allows for a more natural stick position. This stick position will ensure even contact on the rink. If you feel your stick is in an uncomfortable position or getting excessive wear on the heel of your blade this could be the answer for you.

Offers a more natural feel

Keeps hockey stick blade flatter on the rink - Better for puck handling and receiving passes

Better top hand grip of your stick

Ergonomically correct for a wrist shots and snap shots

As i've never used either Ogie or this end I can't comment about their quality or actual feel. But it looks as if it wouldn't really help for anything. if you want a more natural stick position on the ice, buy a stick with proper lie for your playing style. Also, I don't think it would help you shot power, I can only see the stick wanting to twist or rotate as the power from the angle would transfer.

I can't imagine using one as it would mess up the lie of the stick completely. That was my main problem with the Oggie grip, fantastic other than it screwed up my shot.

As i've never used either Ogie or this end I can't comment about their quality or actual feel. But it looks as if it wouldn't really help for anything. if you want a more natural stick position on the ice, buy a stick with proper lie for your playing style. Also, I don't think it would help you shot power, I can only see the stick wanting to twist or rotate as the power from the angle would transfer.

There is a slight benefit to the angled plugs, assuming you can get one at the right length. The angle created by your top hand on the stick is not efficient for transferring power and is not ideal from a biomechanical standpoint.

On a side note they have the Oggie grips for $11.99 that's the cheapest I've ever seen them! I'm still not willing to cut my stick down 7.5" to try one though.

I have used the oggie grip and liked it at first because I have carpal tunnel and it did help me stick handle a little better but poke checking it did absorb the "shock" to my wrist - feels a little spongie after the stick weakens a bit after several games, but my shot did have more flex from it and my slap shots did lose some velocity - so I went back to the wooden handles and now use a modified wooden end - cut out fingers and shaved it to look more like the ergo oggie with a curve on it and add extra tape for absorbing the shock! They do take some time to make and certainly don't last as long as the oggie but they performed for me better. I'm 6"4 - 245 lbs - the oggie might just work for you for a good stick feel

I have used the oggie grip and liked it at first because I have carpal tunnel and it did help me stick handle a little better but poke checking it did absorb the "shock" to my wrist - feels a little spongie after the stick weakens a bit after several games, but my shot did have more flex from it and my slap shots did lose some velocity - so I went back to the wooden handles and now use a modified wooden end - cut out fingers and shaved it to look more like the ergo oggie with a curve on it and add extra tape for absorbing the shock! They do take some time to make and certainly don't last as long as the oggie but they performed for me better. I'm 6"4 - 245 lbs - the oggie might just work for you for a good stick feel

how does oggie grip help with carpal tunnel syndrome ? I supppose cushioning helps but I thought its the bending of the wrist that causes problems with the nerves ?

how does oggie grip help with carpal tunnel syndrome ? I supppose cushioning helps but I thought its the bending of the wrist that causes problems with the nerves ?

Your wrist bends less with the Oggie Ergo grip

I had a ganglion cyst disappear while using an Oggie. Like I said, I really liked most everything about the grip except the change in wrist angle for shooting.

I have had CTS surgery on both hands.

Its funny because any form of vibration to my hands makes them really react badly and even though I know ts I still can not play with a spongie handle coating (tested some stuff I set-up on my own).

I really spend allot of time forming the surfaces and edges of my handles (which also causes me to have to cut down my sticks).

The angle change looks like it could help me because my hand strength is diminished and the normal angle cause me some amount of difficulty at times.

I'll have to check out the Ogie and this grip to see how they work/feel.

Its funny because any form of vibration to my hands makes them really react badly and even though I know ts I still can not play with a spongie handle coating (tested some stuff I set-up on my own).

I really spend allot of time forming the surfaces and edges of my handles (which also causes me to have to cut down my sticks).

The angle change looks like it could help me because my hand strength is diminished and the normal angle cause me some amount of difficulty at times.

Worst case, try the foam wrap they sell. It works wonders for dampening vibrations.

Joe has participated in a lot of demo days, measuring shot speeds with and without the grips. Generally, shot speeds have increased 2-6 MPH, so I'm wondering if you need a stiffer grip. I don't know if Joe is selling them off-the-shelf with increased stiffness, or whether you would need a custom grip, but my guess is the proper grip would increase your velocity.

wow, if you react this severely to vibration then would it be best to use wood sticks ?

i thought about doing this myself, wood is very forgiving.

wow, if you react this severely to vibration then would it be best to use wood sticks ?

I have tried several woodies but have deferred back to composites for 2 basic reasons.

First of all there are nearly no supply of them that I can find and use to compare so the ones I have tried really had allot of problems for me because I have a very hard time finding a stick that works for me.

The second reason is that they are heavier and with slower/weaker hands they slow me down allot. Although I had the operation, I'd say that I got 65% of my hand strength back - at best.

I suppose I could go after getting a wood pattern made for me?

I have tried this "better butt end." Skating with one hand it seems to be ok, but when shooting it was just odd. The backhand was noticeably weaker and just felt strange. It might have been that I had adjustment issues, but I think most people would have that considering this is such a unique item.

i had the ergo grip, if it were only more durable i would still be using it

I have never had an issue using any of Oggie Grips. I have had nothing but comfort with the Ergo as well as the Classic. I have literally had the same Ergo for over 4 yrs. playing over twice a week, Durability is excellent!

I've had a Ergo for over a year now, and I love it. I have def. seen an improvement in my slap shot and have a better feel for the puck. I usually play 3 or 4 nights a week and have def. got a lot of use out of it. Rocketking, they have this video on their facebook site about sticky grip foam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTU_Ycib28k

I have tried several woodies but have deferred back to composites for 2 basic reasons.

First of all there are nearly no supply of them that I can find and use to compare so the ones I have tried really had allot of problems for me because I have a very hard time finding a stick that works for me.

The second reason is that they are heavier and with slower/weaker hands they slow me down allot. Although I had the operation, I'd say that I got 65% of my hand strength back - at best.

i got some minor tingling in my wrists and arms. If you got yourself custom wood sticks I am pretty sure the weight difference would be signficantly addressed. I know custom wood sticks are not cheap but I value my arms and wrists more.

i got some minor tingling in my wrists and arms. If you got yourself custom wood sticks I am pretty sure the weight difference would be signficantly addressed. I know custom wood sticks are not cheap but I value my arms and wrists more.

Even custom woodies are a crapshoot for the most part.

Alot of people talk about wood, why? do you know where the wood that your stick is made of comes from? Do you know what type of wood your wood sticks are made of? Your looking for a custom stick? Try an Easton with an Oggie. Thats what I use and I am very, very happy. Confortable!

Even custom woodies are a crapshoot for the most part.