Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

larrivee

Lightning 2009-2010

Before Hedman elbowed Malkin, notice where he came from... He got elbowed in the neutral zone and went down for a few seconds. I didn't think it was Malkin that elbowed him, obviously Hedman seemed pretty sure it was Malkin.

Before Hedman elbowed Malkin, notice where he came from... He got elbowed in the neutral zone and went down for a few seconds. I didn't think it was Malkin that elbowed him, obviously Hedman seemed pretty sure it was Malkin.

Fair enough. My point was more that it seemed Tocchet asked the young guys to agitate the pens, and they aren't as subtle as some more mature players.

I don't doubt that... but that incident in particular was explainable. Fedotenko was being a little bastard, he interfered with Lecavalier a couple times and you could see Vinny saying something to him, among other incidents with other players. I'm willing to bet that he had a bullseye on him.

They should have kicked Hedman out of the game for that, just because he needs to be benched. He's become the king of turnovers since the Olympic break.

Fair enough. My point was more that it seemed Tocchet asked the young guys to agitate the pens, and they aren't as subtle as some more mature players.

Tocchet made a career out of borderline play, it shouldn't be any surprise that he encourages it as a coach.

There was a penalty on the play.

I don't get it, he's been the perfect cool-headed agitator. He hasn't been giving cheap shots but he's been pushing the right buttons then he very seemingly goes back to his old ways. I just hope that what went through his mind was he wanted to tackle Crosby not snap his knee because he's finally shown some talent and it would be a shame to get back there and waste all that talent away... Either way, I'm glad Crosby was able to finish the game and I hope he's actually ok.

Of course he has, for only cool headed agitators would ever try to fight Miroslav Satan.

Edit: Now that I've watched the replay, how does could anyone believe that Downie is doing anything other than trying to shatter Crosby's knee or ankle? If only Johnson had connected on the elbow that wasn't.

If only Johnson had connected on the elbow that wasn't.

That's the second time it's been mentioned. It's true. For a guy with his talent he should just play the game.

Well what do you know, they were. The Aliu incident was a joke. The head shot just as bad. His lack of respect for other is appalling and sometimes shocking, like when he slashed that ref in the AHL. I really thought he was turning a page and while it's ridiculous that he still gets to play after everything he's done, I was hoping he'd become a player and nothing else. Johnson had the right idea. If Aliu ever comes into the league I'd love to see these two go at it again.

Just saw that. I can understand Lawton for the Wes Walz incident, but I don't know about Tocchet. Sure they aren't winning but look at the numbers Marty and Stamkos put up (not to mention Downie who Tocchet had a pretty big influence on). He certainly developed the players well, you'd think they'd at least keep him on staff for that reason even if they felt they needed a new head coach.

He certainly developed the players well, you'd think they'd at least keep him on staff for that reason even if they felt they needed a new head coach.

There's also some baggage there but giving the new GM the right to pick his coach is pretty common. He should get another shot somewhere else pretty quickly though, even if it means have to step back into the assistant role or heading to the AHL for a year or two.

Coach always gets flushed with the GM. Every newly hired GM wants to put his own guy behind the bench.

And if the GM doesn't get the pick, there is usually a longer, more difficult transition until the coach is eventually fired.

Coach always gets flushed with the GM. Every newly hired GM wants to put his own guy behind the bench.

Vancouver has been the rare time, the coach stayed and it has worked.

Vancouver has been the rare time, the coach stayed and it has worked.

Maybe that's why I felt they would have kept him, just based on local history. Although Ron Wilson is another guy who was kept without the GM but that hasn't exactly been successful yet.

Maybe that's why I felt they would have kept him, just based on local history. Although Ron Wilson is another guy who was kept without the GM but that hasn't exactly been successful yet.

He's there because Burke wanted him there.

He's there because Burke wanted him there.

Yah I get that but right now they don't have a new GM in place to say he doesn't want Tocchet there. Although I'm sure with them interviewing CEO's and possibly GM's it might be easier to find a guy if he has complete control over all the hockey operations.

Yah I get that but right now they don't have a new GM in place to say he doesn't want Tocchet there. Although I'm sure with them interviewing CEO's and possibly GM's it might be easier to find a guy if he has complete control over all the hockey operations.

I don't think any GM is going to want Tocchet around. The guy does have a reputation of submarining his bosses.

With the talent on that team it's ridiculous not to make the playoffs. The team needs some sort of system brought in, preferably something that doesn't ignore defense. I'm glad he's gone, frees him up for a 4th Transporter movie.

With the talent on that team it's ridiculous not to make the playoffs.

Especially when you add another high pick this year. One or two free agents and they become a playoff threat pretty quickly.

Especially when you add another high pick this year. One or two free agents and they become a playoff threat pretty quickly.

If they can get someone in net. I'm not sold at all on Mike Smith. If he worked on the rest of his goaltending like he obviously has on his stickhandling/shooting, he'd be an All-Star. He might be the best shooting goalie in the league not named Brodeur.

If they can get someone in net. I'm not sold at all on Mike Smith. If he worked on the rest of his goaltending like he obviously has on his stickhandling/shooting, he'd be an All-Star. He might be the best shooting goalie in the league not named Brodeur.

He's a better puckhandler that Brodeur.

He has yet to be given consistent starts since his concussion previous to that injury... I'd say he was a legitimate allstar caliber goalie. Even still if you watch the goals against, nearly all goals against are HORRIBLE defensive breakdowns.

This current team, with a good system, easily makes the playoffs. Meszaros is the biggest liability currently and if he plays physical he's a MUCH better player than the pylon he was most of the season. Replace Walker with Ranger(If he shows up in shape) and you have something going.

Tanguay was a big disappointment on the scoresheets but he can still play. If they can sign him for under 2 million a season, he's a steal... He will be a 20 goal guy again.

Purcell is going to be good. If he's on one of the top two lines he's going to get 35+ points next season.

I'll give credit where it's due. The Thompson pickup and Halpern trade were things of beauty. Lawton did damn good with those moves. It still hurts to have lost Picard and Carle. If you put Picard on a team with a good defensive coach, he'll be a rockstar in 2-3 years.