Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

e-man

Skate fit

Hi there,

I'm looking for new skates. I'm currently using a pair of Bauer 5000, size 9D (I think). My skates are about 8 years old. I like the fit right now.

I tried on a pair of CCM 1152s 8.5Ds but found that the front was too wide, even though I think I have a standard foot. Ankle seems okay though.

I really like my skates snug and am looking for a tight fit in the heel, preferably with above average ankle support.

Can anyone give me some tips as to what brands/models I should consider? I know that each brand fits differently, so I just wanted to get some tips.

I don't mind buying the higher-end skates (e.g. Vapor XX, Vector Pro or high-end Eastons etc).

I'd suggest you stick with what works for you and go down to your local shop and just try on a bunch different skates until you find something that fits you perfectly. If you've been wearing Bauer's for the past 8 years, then you should probably stick with them. I've worn CCM's my whole life so anytime i'm in the market for new skates I always go for CCM's before anything else.

CCM's tend to run much wider than other brands. For Bauer's, Mission's, and Graf's I need an E width but for my CCM Pro Tacks I only need a D.

I'd check into the new Bauers except the 8090, they fit more like CCMs. Missions also fit similarly to the Bauer skates.

if youre looking for a steal, PM me, ive got some 705's from the pros that are an 8/8.5 regular width. they had the tongues removed but i have them, so you would need to have a repair shop sew them back in. (not trying to pirate the thread, just trying to help a fellow MSH'er out)

if youre looking new, id go Bauer, or try on on of Eastons SBX line, they fit relaiively snug in the ankle, and the initial comfort is great too

Thanks to all those who replied...your help is definitely appreciated...

Just some related questions: What things should I do to ensure that I've tried them on "properly".

For example, here is what I did the last time I bought skates:

1) wore thinner socks (which I use to play hockey in as well)

2) kick back heel before lacing, then tie them super tight

3) while wearing skates, sit for about 10 mins

4) go for a short walk around store with skates on

any other suggestions?

What I do is before I try on the skate: I take out the insole and just stand on it. This is not a perfect but at least a good way to determine if a skate is too big (or small) for me. If the insole exceedes my feet's size by more than 1/3 inch, I don't even try them on.

It's interesting that you tried on a 8.5 in the CCM after skating in a 9D Bauer. I'm also a 9D in Bauer, but require an 8 in CCM. I suppose that since your skate is 7 years old, the foot last may have changed...anyhow, Mission's are made for narrower feet, and you may also want to try Nikes, they're very comfortable and hug the foot really well.