Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kenneth

any shops in GTA do custom sidas?

Any pro shops in the GTA do custom graf sidas footbeds? Trying to see if the price is worth it over superfeets or the trim yourself sidas footbeds.

Toronto Hockey Repair (kinda douchey)

Majer Hockey (good store)

Just Hockey SFS (don mills or steeles)

Most do it as graf is popular for whatever reason <_<

It's two years later--can anybody comment on/update this list?

And how is Hockey Life for doing this? The Graf site says HL does fits SIDAS, but I've never seen anything in this regard when in their Oakville or Hamilton stores.

Thanks

P.

I would recommend majer, however they have some new machine that will take photos of your feet and build one for you for $60 bucks. I will probalby get that done to replace my grafs as it'll help my pronation more.

I would recommend majer, however they have some new machine that will take photos of your feet and build one for you for $60 bucks. I will probalby get that done to replace my grafs as it'll help my pronation more.

Is that a Sidas machine for Graf, or for a different product?

It's two years later--can anybody comment on/update this list?

And how is Hockey Life for doing this? The Graf site says HL does fits SIDAS, but I've never seen anything in this regard when in their Oakville or Hamilton stores.

Thanks

P.

Had mine done at the Hamilton store. The machine is tucked away a bit by the service desk beside the skate wall-at least it was when I had mine done- and the insoles are at the opposite end of the wall

Is that a Sidas machine for Graf, or for a different product?

different product i can't remember the name right now. I found well the graf customs is a mold of your feet the tech really need to know what their doing but it won't account for any posture issues.

Had mine done at the Hamilton store. The machine is tucked away a bit by the service desk beside the skate wall-at least it was when I had mine done- and the insoles are at the opposite end of the wall

Thanks jds. Were you happy with the result?

Thanks jds. Were you happy with the result?

Yes, although I have to say I was a bit nervous with the guy who fit them. He seemed a bit unsure and considering the price I thought he might be a bit more knowledgable. I guess the system is pretty foolproof since they fit great and I noticed a difference the very next skate. Maybe search out one of the "senior" staff members who is more familiar with the system if you want to be extra sure.

Yes, although I have to say I was a bit nervous with the guy who fit them. He seemed a bit unsure and considering the price I thought he might be a bit more knowledgable. I guess the system is pretty foolproof since they fit great and I noticed a difference the very next skate. Maybe search out one of the "senior" staff members who is more familiar with the system if you want to be extra sure.

Ha ha--you read my mind. Their staff is uniformly young. A 25-year old is a "senior" guy. Nice kids all around, but yes, if I'm dropping $100 bucks for two pieces of foam, I want that to be damn effective foam.

I will try to go on a Saturday morning around opening time. That usually works for scoping out the staff and finding the more capable people before they get tied down with other stuff.

Many thanks.

Another thing. Funny, but I bought Grafs, at Hockey Life, and they never even mentioned that custom footbeds are available. This was at the Oakville store, and maybe that one doesn't have the machine. But still....

Retailers: Train your staff!

I also recall viewing a youtube video of a Graf rep talking about how they custom fit NHL-ers with the insoles. He demonstrated the whole process and I used some of those pointers when I had mine fit. In that video (which I can't seem to find now) the Graf rep had said to stand with the knees flexed when settling into the bed on the machine (makes sense since that is how you skate) and the guy at PHL told me to stand up straight (which I ignored).

I also recall viewing a youtube video of a Graf rep talking about how they custom fit NHL-ers with the insoles. He demonstrated the whole process and I used some of those pointers when I had mine fit. In that video (which I can't seem to find now) the Graf rep had said to stand with the knees flexed when settling into the bed on the machine (makes sense since that is how you skate) and the guy at PHL told me to stand up straight (which I ignored).

The Red Shirt who helped me pick out my Grafs duly measured my foot size with the official Graf ruler, which indicated, I think, that I'm an 11 or 11.5 in Graf skates. (My street shoe size is always 12 or 13.) Fair enough. But during the fitting process, once I got down to size 10, he wanted me to stop there. He was just dead sure that would be right. And he had been trained, of course. But I insisted on going down further--the toes weren't touching the toe cap yet. I ended up with 9.5s. You could see he was ticked. Professional ego damaged.

At home, it occurred to me to compare, so I took the Graf liner and placed it against the footbed from my cycling shoes, which fit like a dream. They were a perfect match. Then put it against the superfeet insert from my old ski boots, which were always comfy: another perfect match.

There is a lesson in there somewhere.

If you decide to go to Majer, get them done by a skinny dude named Refton. He used to work for the company that manufactures the machine. He does an excellent job. By the way, the system is called Footbalance. http://www.footbalance.com/

Thanks for the link. It sounds as if they and Sidas are the two leaders in this area.

This breaking news just in on the wire..........

Phoned PHL tonight. (Actually phoned three stores before I got a coherent answer.) All their Sidas machines have been taken back by Graf. Pretty recently it sounds like. Someone named Claude Lemieux has purchased Graf and they are rejigging everything they do. New machines may be on the way. But this is not clear.

Over to you, Chet.....

So Mayer it may be. Any other suggestions/recent experiences more than welcome.

If you want things done right DO NOT go to PHL, ever. Majer or the source for sports should be your first options.

I trekked out to Majer and got the Footbalance inserts made. The Amazing Refton did the job. A scholar and a gentleman, an avid runner and golfer, he is quite a guy and taught me a whole lot about this kinesiology stuff, and the way my own legs are built. It was fascinating. The machine was indeed the one you see on the Footbalance site linked above. Damn clever those Fins.

I don't know what the result will be. For sure my skates felt different. But this weekend was very busy and I could not get to ice to test them. I'll try to get back and post on this.

Majer is a cool shop. Nothing like a box store. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly, but not in a phoney way. There is even an older guy wandering around who appears to be the actual owner. Great vibe all around. Too bad this shop is in North York and I am Way Out West of the GTA. Thank God for the 407. In future I will try to plan purchases so I can go out to them once or twice a year. And for sure next time I need skates this will be the place.

Did you have to trim down the heel of the Footbalance insoles to get them to fit in your skate? I recently purchased a pair myself to give them a try and I had to take about 1/8" off the heel area.

I trekked out to Majer and got the Footbalance inserts made. The Amazing Refton did the job. A scholar and a gentleman, an avid runner and golfer, he is quite a guy and taught me a whole lot about this kinesiology stuff, and the way my own legs are built. It was fascinating. The machine was indeed the one you see on the Footbalance site linked above. Damn clever those Fins.

I don't know what the result will be. For sure my skates felt different. But this weekend was very busy and I could not get to ice to test them. I'll try to get back and post on this.

Majer is a cool shop. Nothing like a box store. The staff is very knowledgeable and friendly, but not in a phoney way. There is even an older guy wandering around who appears to be the actual owner. Great vibe all around. Too bad this shop is in North York and I am Way Out West of the GTA. Thank God for the 407. In future I will try to plan purchases so I can go out to them once or twice a year. And for sure next time I need skates this will be the place.

Get on their email lists so you can be ready for their sales; often they have great deals on sales. For example pro-stock sticks at $99 - all pro-stock or pro-returns... all including the best of the best, or skates at 1/2 off on factory seconds.