Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DEATHTRON

Arcade games...

I am looking to outfit my new place with some older arcade machines (strikers 1945, galaga, anything else cool). I have been browsing the internet lightly, but really have only found 1 or 2 sites that seem to be regulars to this sort of thing. I am just trying to get a handle on this as one of my old college roommates "knew" a guy whose dad went to conventions for pinball machines and was paying much less than I see online.

So I am hoping someone has some inside information on the best way to get some of these, or maybe a local contact.

Thanks,

Zach

I have some at my house and it was just from knowing someone who was looking to get rid of them from a movie theatre. I'd say the best place to look are the vendors that put them out in arcades and they should have the number on them.

What's your budget? It seems that Costco has an all-in-one each Christmas season with about 50+ games for around $1200. On the other hand, I recall having a conversation with a friend about this, and he said you could build your own for about $300. He said you'd need a box, a CPU, monitor and joy stick, and that the plans can be found online, though I've never looked.

With even the slightest woodworking knowlege it is hilariously easy to make.

Step 1: buy a broken arcade box of any sort with a lot of buttons and sticks (Neo Geo machines are perfectly suited for this) or replace console section with a new modern one set.

Step 2: rip everything out of it

Step 3: Buy/find/repurpose an old CRT monitor or ~27" traditional tube TV and hang it inside where the screen goes.

Step 4: Build/find/repurpose any PC made after the year 2000.

Step 5: Install MAME

I appreciate all of the comments. I got in touch with a distrubutor today, who is looking to unload alot of stuff, Ill probably check that out during the week. Also, craigslist had some...so I am also going to look at "police trainer" tomorrow or monday.

If I dont cram multiple machines in the space I have in mind I will just end up with open space...I dont much want that, so I am trying to stay away from the super system.

Theres a bar here in town that has old aracade games, its a real good feel, I am going to try and make that happen in my little game area.

Any more suggestions are welcome...I would still like a pinball machine, they seem to be a bit harder to come by.

Zach

Arcades have been in steep decline since the early 90's, so it's getting harder and harder to find actual arcade cabinets. There are a few companies online that sell referbished cabinets, along with new machines offer multiple games specifically for collectors. Auctions are a good place to find them if you want them for more reasonable prices, or if you can find local businesses with cabinets looking to get rid of them.

I appreciate all of the comments. I got in touch with a distrubutor today, who is looking to unload alot of stuff, Ill probably check that out during the week. Also, craigslist had some...so I am also going to look at "police trainer" tomorrow or monday.

If I dont cram multiple machines in the space I have in mind I will just end up with open space...I dont much want that, so I am trying to stay away from the super system.

Theres a bar here in town that has old aracade games, its a real good feel, I am going to try and make that happen in my little game area.

Any more suggestions are welcome...I would still like a pinball machine, they seem to be a bit harder to come by.

Zach

Check out Dave and Busters. At the very least they can give you contact information for their vendor. As for pinball, they have conventions in Arlington at the convention center by Jerryworld all the time. Probably best luck will be The Addams Family- best selling machine of all time.

a few times i have seen some arcades with prices on the games.

i actually saw some today at the arcade in the st.louis mills mall.

i dont know if this is common but i thought it was interesting that they are selling their actual games

My buddys dad got him a Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 machine from a arcade that was going out of business and started selling all their machines. Needless to say, all we do it play that game when we are at his house, one of my favorite games of all time.

From my hunting, pinball machines are a bitch to find, least of all in working condition. A buddy of mine got a Jurassic Park and T2 machine for cheap, but they need work done and he's researching them. For now, I'm content with Tempest, bubble top hockey and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade.

I friend of mine had an Original (I think) Golden Tee machine in his basement. As I recall, He had gotten it from a bar that a colleague of his owned that closed. But, I think he had to sell it when he got divorced as his new place didn't have the area for a games room.