Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iron Ghost

Would you trade Iginla for Malkin

Would you trade Iginla for Malkin  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Co worker asked me this today -- curious about what others would do. If you were Daryl Suter, what would you do?? Thanks for participating!

Iggy is the face of the franchise, he is good with the media and he is a good all around player. Malkin has lots of upside but he doesn't play as consistently as Iggy IMO.

Iginla is great, but Malkin is younger so will be productive longer. Of course in the cap era players aren't always around for all that longer so that may be a moot point. Iginla does have more heart and grit, but when he's on Malkin has a bit more talent. It'd be an extremely tough call. The cap hit for each player would also have to be taken into consideration. In the end I don't think I'd be able to pass up the opportunity to get a player like Malkin if I was a GM...even if I had to give up a great player like Iginla to do so.

i think calgary would do it - but iginla is 33 and malkin is 24 - i dunno if pittsburgh would be willing to give him up even if iginla would finally give crosby that scoring winger he has been waiting for.

calgary would be getting a very good deal if they could keep malkin long term

how far can a player fall in one year. Last year, Malkin was the third best best player in the NHL, now people would trade him for Iginla? This would be an interesting convo if we were talking about their prime, but even that would be hard since Malkin is just entering his prime.

i think calgary would do it - but iginla is 33 and malkin is 24 - i dunno if pittsburgh would be willing to give him up even if iginla would finally give crosby that scoring winger he has been waiting for.

calgary would be getting a very good deal if they could keep malkin long term

This comment is exactly what sparked the conversation at work! All of the discussions so far were also mentioned! Very interesting to hear a worldwide view. thanks to everyone for contributing, I'll leave this up for awhile! Its a tough argument either way!

There were tons of rumors floating around the idiots of Pittsburgh that the Pens wanted to try and trade Malkin to LA for Dustin Brown and Anze Kopitar. This "trade Malkin" thing isn't some new idea. Same thing in Pittsburgh with people wanting to trade Staal.

Anyways, why wouldn't Calgary make that trade? If the Pens came to them with that trade as a straight up deal, they'd be idiotic to not do it.

If your Calgary yeah you do that deal in a heartbeat, if your Pittsburgh theres no way you do it without more from Calgary. Iginla for Malkin straight up would be a bad deal for Pittsburgh.

Not the way Iggy and Sid click. But I agree that there is more potential in Malkin as he is younger.

Not to mention the fact that Staal is more than good enough to be a second line center.

Or the fact that Malkin has played like a bastard child of Jagr and Kovalev this year. And that is not a good thing…

Hes still on pace for an 85 plus point season and its no secret he'd had some injury trouble particularly his shoulder. After what he did in the playoffs last year I think we can give the guy a little bit of slack so I wouldnt go that far...He's still got another gear or two for the post season.

13 game (22 points)point streak not good enough?? Atleast a point in 40 of 55 games? PIMs are up and +/- is down but its not as if he's not contributing at all and +/- is a sketchy stat in my opinion anyway.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3638/g...2qn.wJVhcxivLYF

I believe that, given the current roster make-up of the Penguins, this type of chatter will be inevitible. Any time a team has a "surplus" of young, talented gents who play the same position, rumors will circulate as to "it's too crowded - who's on the way out?" Particularly if Malkin is perceived (perhaps rightly) by some as being the more talented of the two, yet seemingly toils in the shadow of Sidney.

However, as a Penguins fan, I don't think that I'd pull the trigger on Jarome for #71, no matter how great Iginla is/his chemistry with Sidney. He's a fabulous player, but their respective career timelines don't coincide; not enough overlapping greatness for the Black and Gold.

In light of Crosby's apparent chemistry with a certain elder brother of a current Penguin, however, Malkin for Eric Staal is a different discussion all together...but that's for another time.

Very true; however, I think that I'd consider a Malkin-for-Eric swap more seriously than a Malkin-Iginla deal. Just throwing it out there. My brother-in-law and I had a very similar conversation yesterday; I took your position at that point, and would maintain it now. Just thought I'd see what everyone else thinks.

I would also consider the Staal/Malkin swap moreso than the Iginla. Age is my major factor. Dont wanna trade away a superstar for a few years worth of someone elses prime.

I would also consider the Staal/Malkin swap moreso than the Iginla. Age is my major factor. Dont wanna trade away a superstar for a few years worth of someone elses prime.

I think swapping Malkin for another center is a mistake as long as Malkin, J Staal and Sid are all playing center. Iggy makes some sense as he is a scoring winger that you can put with Sid, though he obviously won't be around as long as any of the other three. Having three high-paid centers makes it very hard to be able to afford top end wingers to pair with any of them.

I think swapping Malkin for another center is a mistake as long as Malkin, J Staal and Sid are all playing center. Iggy makes some sense as he is a scoring winger that you can put with Sid, though he obviously won't be around as long as any of the other three. Having three high-paid centers makes it very hard to be able to afford top end wingers to pair with any of them.

Yup, I wonder how long it will be until the wingers in the Pens system just don't cut it anymore. They may have to trade one of Staal or Malkin to make some cap room for serious winger. I can't think of a team in the NHL with worse wingers other than the Islanders.

True. I love those guys (Guerin, Dupuis, Fedotenko, etc.) as people, but they're just not going to get it done over the long haul. If I recall correctly, that's where last year's Staal-for-Frolov (among others) rumors came in. However, if you're going to deal one of those two (Staal or Malkin) away, the haul had better be impressive.

With respect to Chadd's comment, there are going to be tough off-season decisions in Pittsburgh. No one's signed defensively, and they definitely need to upgrade on the wing. However, when you have five highly-paid stars in your movie (Crosby, Staal, Malkin, Fleury, and Orpik), everyone else is an extra. It's tough to bring in top talent when there's not a lot of cash to dole out.

I wouldn't do it for either team, if Calgary trades Iginla, they basically traded their heart and soul of the team for the last 14 years, the loss of fans would hurt more then scoring a couple of more goals a year, if the Penguins trade Malkin, they traded arguably one of the best players in the league right now.

Would you trade ovechkin for malkin? Would give crosby a winger and washington a big boost at center with cap space left to maybe bring in a solid winger.

Hahaha