Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dsjunior1388

Amway

So i got an offer to "work" or however it is described, with Amway, and I'm looking for some advice if anyone here has been involved with it. I'm just wondering, from an unbiased perspective, what I would have to do to make it worth my while. It seems there are no risks of me losing money on it, but I am just wondering if there is any chance of me making money. I'm leaning on not doing it, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience with it or knows the best strategy so I'm not wasting my own time and making someone else money.

Note: I know this is not a pyramid or Ponzi scheme, i just don't want to invite a ton of time and end up making like 40 bucks in a year.

People have tried to sell me on Amway many times. The worst was when a friend in college invited a group of us over to watch some game, said he would take care of the beer and some pizza. I should have been skeptical of the whole event as this guy was one of the cheapest people around and never bought anything for anyone, but the allure of free beer and some food sucked three of us in. We show up and it is just him and his dad, there is no beer, no pizza and the TV is off. His dad starts with the "What kind of car would you like to drive" sales pitch and starts drawing circles on an easel. We ended up listening to 5 minutes of their nonsense and went to the bar. Now when someone tries to sell me on Amway I just ask them to show me their last six months of Amway paychecks. That usually shuts them up.

It is not a pyramid or ponzi, as those are illegal....it is just the next worst thing. Multi-level marketing. You most certainly WILL lose money, as you need to consider your time and effort and its earning potential. You will be spending a lot of your time and effort for very very little return. You will be asked to try to "recruit" all your friends and family into the "opportunity", which will strain all your relationships. The average Amway rep earns very little, and I even think that the average earnings per year is on the Quixtar (Amway) application, and it is like less than $200 per year. Dont walk away from MLM "opportunities.....run. Like the above poster, ask the person trying to recruit you to show their paystub. That will likely bring some reality crashing into the "being independently wealthy" sales pitch.

Thats pretty much what I figured. And I hate the idea of pitching this crap. I'm out, thanks guys.

The guy that recruited Ferris students set up interviews at Qdoba... really classy, but I'll take a burrito..

The guy that recruited Ferris students set up interviews at Qdoba... really classy, but I'll take a burrito..

Yeah, we were at starbucks. I don't drink coffee and he didn't offer to buy me anything, they just gave me an energy drink shot that gave me jitters in the first period of my game that night, and then made me feel like I was three beers in as far as where my head was at about an hour after the game. Worst side effects I've ever had from an energy drink.

Another one to avoid is Mona Vie. A guy at my work was fired for trying to sell it to all of our customers and getting them to sign up. The problem is you don't make money selling a product, you make money stealing your friends' money. Do people make money off of these? Yes. But it is a very small percentage of the people who are actually selling it, and you have to be extremely sleazy to exploit everyone you know like that.

EDIT: forgot to add that the CEO of Mona Vie used to be the CEO of Amway

Another one to avoid is Mona Vie. A guy at my work was fired for trying to sell it to all of our customers and getting them to sign up. The problem is you don't make money selling a product, you make money stealing your friends' money. Do people make money off of these? Yes. But it is a very small percentage of the people who are actually selling it, and you have to be extremely sleazy to exploit everyone you know like that.

Haha our coach bought into that this year. He ended up just selling it to our team for the year so I guess it kind of worked out for him. Everyone on our team jokes about mona vie now.

Haha our coach bought into that this year. He ended up just selling it to our team for the year so I guess it kind of worked out for him. Everyone on our team jokes about mona vie now.

Half of the army of amway distributors earn no income......yes...ZERO.

The other half earns $100 a month average.

I had a teacher in high school who was HUGE in Mona Vie. Supposedly he sold enough and has enough people under him that he earned what is called "Black Diamond" status and was given a Benz by the company.

I had a teacher in high school who was HUGE in Mona Vie. Supposedly he sold enough and has enough people under him that he earned what is called "Black Diamond" status and was given a Benz by the company.

And I don't doubt that there are people who are making money with it. Again though, you're really just signing people up to a subscription. Meaning you're taking $200 a month from them. And then whoever they sign up, they split it with you. And whoever signs up after splits it with everyone above and so forth. So unless you're at the top, you're not getting very much. Why do yo think they have such large conferences? So that one person can register about 50 or so individuals at once. And there is the problem with MLM's, unless you're at the top you're a sucker, and unless you can get a million more suckers to buy in underneath you, you won't be making a fortune off it.

And I don't doubt that there are people who are making money with it. Again though, you're really just signing people up to a subscription. Meaning you're taking $200 a month from them. And then whoever they sign up, they split it with you. And whoever signs up after splits it with everyone above and so forth. So unless you're at the top, you're not getting very much. Why do yo think they have such large conferences? So that one person can register about 50 or so individuals at once. And there is the problem with MLM's, unless you're at the top you're a sucker, and unless you can get a million more suckers to buy in underneath you, you won't be making a fortune off it.

I know, thats why when the teacher tried to sign up pretty much everyone in the town, including a lot of the students, I passed and so did my parents.

Amway has been sued, I think by the Attorney Generals of several states, for being a Ponzi scheme and just calling it something different. I received the pitch from someone I briefly knew, and decided not to know them anymore after that. It's a really crappy scam, but just like anything, there's 1 person out of 1,000,000 who will make a lot of money off of it. Just remember you can lose all that back in the 5 seconds it takes to be found liable.

Not true.

Local rink is owned by RDV Sports, which is named after one of the founders of Amway.

My friend (or ex friend now for that matter) got hooked by a lady selling Melaleuca products. He came home one night as we had agreed to hear him out about the products. He was just starting and needed practice. It clearly switched from trying to sell us a product to recruiting us under the company so he would make so much of what we sold and then we would make so much off the sales of those we would recruit and such. I politly invited them to get the hell out of my house. Never heard from my friend again after that...

My friend (or ex friend now for that matter) got hooked by a lady selling Melaleuca products. He came home one night as we had agreed to hear him out about the products. He was just starting and needed practice. It clearly switched from trying to sell us a product to recruiting us under the company so he would make so much of what we sold and then we would make so much off the sales of those we would recruit and such. I politly invited them to get the hell out of my house. Never heard from my friend again after that...

My brother does that. He's about 6-7 months into it and is making between $500-1000 a month right now.

My brother does that. He's about 6-7 months into it and is making between $500-1000 a month right now.

For the amount of time (and sometimes money) people put into MLM's, that is just some seriously shitty money.

For the amount of time (and sometimes money) people put into MLM's, that is just some seriously shitty money.

As I understand it...his monthly order costs about $80-90 bucks.....so everything else he's making is from the people "under" him. I haven't talk to him in a couple months...so he might even be doing better than that now.

He said he was getting close to covering his mortgage payment with this income. Tax time next year might be fun though.

My Dad's ex-GF used to order that crap (like 10 yrs ago)...most of the products had a very odd smell that I couldn't stand. Expensive for what you got...I kept telling them to go to the store to buy hand soap and shampoo to save $50/mo...stuff sucked, but it was "natural" or whatever so she ate it up.

On a related note, my wife was recently pitched a great investment opportunity by a friend of hers. Selling $38 bottles of some miracle juice called Xango. When she first called her the friend said she couldn't say anything about the opportunity but she should watch this webinar...I said I'll bet $100 its a damn pyramid scheme. Sure as s**t it was. I explained how we'd never make any money and how we would probably in fact get hosed...needless to say she isn't participating.

Jesus what a country (world) of retards we are sometimes.

He said he was getting close to covering his mortgage payment with this income. Tax time next year might be fun though.

Maybe he'll be the main pitch guy they bring in to close the new "distributors" in his area, since he is likely the only one making any money at it :)

Whats driving me crazy is the number of Mona Vie cars I see driving around (some of them are kind of nice too). I just want to ask them how many friends/family members they're stealing from to afford that ride.

They are preying on desperate people and those who are looking to make a quick buck.

We have enough as it is with Avon, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Fantasia, Partylight.. Seems like every freaking month someone has a party to invite us to

They are preying on desperate people and those who are looking to make a quick buck.

We have enough as it is with Avon, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, Fantasia, Partylight.. Seems like every freaking month someone has a party to invite us to

Yah but lets be fair here: Avon, Tupperware, Pampered Chef, (not sure about Fantasia) and Partylight are all actual products that do something. Avon sells a wide range of household products that are at a decent price. Knick knacks I guess but it's not a scam. I don't know what I'd do without Tupperware; I save a fortune on groceries every month because I'm able to keep all my food twice as long as if it wasn't stored in a quality container. It's also healthier and nice to know I can microwave in it without having to worry about about anything like I would with the cheap off the shelf containers. Pampered chef has quality kitchen utensils. Partylight sells quality candles. I have no problem with people selling that stuff as it may service a need I have. MLM's are a joke and where people screw other people over, and that's what's frustrating.