Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AIREAYE

Economics of the Equipment Industry?

Hey guys,

In high school (International Baccalaureate program), we have to write a 4000 word essay on any topic and I have chosen mine to be:

How Supply/Demand and the Oligopolistic nature of the hockey equipment industry affects pricing strategies for products

Basically, I'm looking at how the major brands in the industry compete with each other and considering the needs of the market, set prices for their products.

I already know a lot about what I'm gonna say, but I'd like some insight from you guys too.

1: Is the equipment industry dominated by these 5 firms (in order of power)?

Bauer, Easton, Reebok-CCM, Warrior, TPS-Sherwood

2: Based on current and future market demand for hockey gear, which price-point of equipment would grow/shrink? Entry-level, 'intermediate' or Elite level?

3: ^ Would prices for gear increase or decrease?

4: What would be the best place to obtain such industry information first hand? By contacting the companies, asking LHS owners or internet pricing (ex. Hockeymonkey)?

I really look forward to writing this essay, thanks for your help :D

Hey guys,

In high school (International Baccalaureate program), we have to write a 4000 word essay on any topic and I have chosen mine to be:

How Supply/Demand and the Oligopolistic nature of the hockey equipment industry affects pricing strategies for products

Basically, I'm looking at how the major brands in the industry compete with each other and considering the needs of the market, set prices for their products.

I already know a lot about what I'm gonna say, but I'd like some insight from you guys too.

2: Based on current and future market demand for hockey gear, which price-point of equipment would grow/shrink? Entry-level, 'intermediate' or Elite level?

4: What would be the best place to obtain such industry information first hand? By contacting the companies, asking LHS owners or internet pricing (ex. Hockeymonkey)?

1. You see a lot of under the cover brands, like brooklynite and Kynetyk making a business, so I'd say no.

2. As technology gets better and high level equiptment gets exposure in pro leagues, there are the elite players and there are the benders that want to look good, so the elite equiptment would grow, and intermediete level stuff will shrink.

3. Prices would definately increase, as you see today, the S19 rose 30$ from the S17 prices, and there was no new technology

4. I say contact the companies, as they have the MSRP of all of the equipment

Hey guys,

1. How do you define "power"? Influence on the industry? Sales at retail/penetration in to the market? Pure economic buying power? Bauer certainly has a lot of equity in their brand, and a lot penetration at the retail level, but they no longer have the deep pockets that say Warrior has (since it's owned by New Balance). All depends on how you define power.

2. To be honest, I don't see any segment shrinking. The one area I see growing slightly is the "just below premium" level gear; stuff that's branded or signature (like Savard's Warrior Disher stick). It's not purely high-end, but people will want to use it because it's seen at the NHL level. The same argument could explain the strategy of Easton with it's E-Pro glove. A mid-level price glove that is "used" by NHLers, and so encourages consumers to pay a little more to get an "NHL" glove.

3. High-end gear will continue to rise in price, but I think you'll see composite sticks enter into the sub-$40 range eventually.

4. All the companies you've listed probably won't speak frankly about the financials of their companies or the competition. Your best bet is to talk to shop owners and industry insiders - basically MSHers :)

4. All the companies you've listed probably won't speak frankly about the financials of their companies or the competition. Your best bet is to talk to shop owners and industry insiders - basically MSHers :)

You would be surprised how many don't know much more than what sells in their store. If it doesn't help them sell product, a lot of guys don't care.

You can probably find some of the financial results for Bauer from back when it was part of Nike in old Nike SEC filings. You probably won't get a full income statement, but you should be able to get revenue and possibly operating income. It may not be the most up to date information, but it can give you a starting point. I believe Adidas is also public in Germany, though I'm not positive, although the filing requirements are different over there so you may not be able to get the same level of granular information on Reebok-CCM, probably just Reebok as a whole.

EDIT: Also, if you have some way to access a VERY in-depth equity research report (look for an "Initiating Coverage" report) on Adidas, it might have some small section regarding the hockey part of the business.

1. How do you define "power"? Influence on the industry? Sales at retail/penetration in to the market? Pure economic buying power? Bauer certainly has a lot of equity in their brand, and a lot penetration at the retail level, but they no longer have the deep pockets that say Warrior has (since it's owned by New Balance). All depends on how you define power.

2. To be honest, I don't see any segment shrinking. The one area I see growing slightly is the "just below premium" level gear; stuff that's branded or signature (like Savard's Warrior Disher stick). It's not purely high-end, but people will want to use it because it's seen at the NHL level. The same argument could explain the strategy of Easton with it's E-Pro glove. A mid-level price glove that is "used" by NHLers, and so encourages consumers to pay a little more to get an "NHL" glove.

3. High-end gear will continue to rise in price, but I think you'll see composite sticks enter into the sub-$40 range eventually.

1: Sorry, I meant concentration ratio fo the industry, which is the % of total output the largest few firms in the industry produce. For my essay, I don't think I can simply state that the industry is an oligopoly without presenting some data. Originally I planned to ask corporations for their market share, but now I don't think they'll do that for some kid :P I suppose I could aska hockey store for some sales info to figure out which brands command the most sales, but I don't know if the shops here (Pro Hcokey Life, Hockey Experts, Sportchek etc.) can/will show me their sales figures...will try it though.

2: This is the one a lot of people (including HFboards) debate about. Some say that due to NHL-level exposure, the demand for elite products will rise and thus, the price. You say just below elite, and some think that entry -level products will increase as people cant afford as high quality goods as they used to due to recession...

3. Agree

4. All the data to back up my essay will probably rely on store sales figures (if not corporate data itself, whcih is unlikely :( ) ...will stores like PHL or Hockeyexperts give me sales figures or equivalent info?

1: Sorry, I meant concentration ratio fo the industry, which is the % of total output the largest few firms in the industry produce. For my essay, I don't think I can simply state that the industry is an oligopoly without presenting some data. Originally I planned to ask corporations for their market share, but now I don't think they'll do that for some kid :P I suppose I could aska hockey store for some sales info to figure out which brands command the most sales, but I don't know if the shops here (Pro Hcokey Life, Hockey Experts, Sportchek etc.) can/will show me their sales figures...will try it though.

2: This is the one a lot of people (including HFboards) debate about. Some say that due to NHL-level exposure, the demand for elite products will rise and thus, the price. You say just below elite, and some think that entry -level products will increase as people cant afford as high quality goods as they used to due to recession...

3. Agree

4. All the data to back up my essay will probably rely on store sales figures (if not corporate data itself, whcih is unlikely :( ) ...will stores like PHL or Hockeyexperts give me sales figures or equivalent info?

I don't have any hard figures for #1, but you may be able to gain some insight by examining the various companies' Alexa website ranking. It won't be hard numbers, and might be a little skewed (since I imagine Warrior is probably over-represented due to its younger demo) but at least it would be some anecdotal evidence of size & popularity.

I don't see demand for elite products going up that much, unless some technology is introduced that makes a giant leap forward. As of now, with minor tweaks and innovations being implemented every year, I'd say the people who are satisfied buying mid-level have no reason to upgrade. Composite sticks have been around for 10 years - if you haven't tried one yet you're probably stuck on wood for life. The segment has grown as much as it's going to, with the late adopters finally coming around (the stragglers and hold outs won't really have an effect on your numbers). Without a big innovation, you're not going to see that big spike again.

Hey guys,

1- I do believe that Bauer, Reebok, and Easton have the largest market share but you need to find the market share of the other companies because I guarantee you that the smaller companies are closer than you think in that department. Look up market share online and it will serve as great info.

2- Elite will grow and beginner/intermediate will shrink because "elite" players more than likely will pay more for the best whereas beginners/intermediate would look for a better price/quality ratio

3- Prices will be increasing

4- Look at trends ie- get old hockey catalogs and see how prices have changed relative to technological developments

I don't have any hard figures for #1, but you may be able to gain some insight by examining the various companies' Alexa website ranking. It won't be hard numbers, and might be a little skewed (since I imagine Warrior is probably over-represented due to its younger demo) but at least it would be some anecdotal evidence of size & popularity.

I don't see demand for elite products going up that much, unless some technology is introduced that makes a giant leap forward. As of now, with minor tweaks and innovations being implemented every year, I'd say the people who are satisfied buying mid-level have no reason to upgrade. Composite sticks have been around for 10 years - if you haven't tried one yet you're probably stuck on wood for life. The segment has grown as much as it's going to, with the late adopters finally coming around (the stragglers and hold outs won't really have an effect on your numbers). Without a big innovation, you're not going to see that big spike again.

Alexa: Thanks for the tip :P I suppose I could use that as supplementary evidence for demand/oligopoly

Elite products: again, theres so many opinions on this, you are focusing on technological improvement, which makes sense, but a consumer is most likely not informed enough to make purcheses based on tech. There is marketing (commercially and NHL-level), elasticity of demand, future market trends (more newer players, or baby boomers sticking with mid/entry level products) etc.etc.

I suppose I should choose one opinion and stick with it...

1- I do believe that Bauer, Reebok, and Easton have the largest market share but you need to find the market share of the other companies because I guarantee you that the smaller companies are closer than you think in that department. Look up market share online and it will serve as great info.

2- Elite will grow and beginner/intermediate will shrink because "elite" players more than likely will pay more for the best whereas beginners/intermediate would look for a better price/quality ratio

3- Prices will be increasing

4- Look at trends ie- get old hockey catalogs and see how prices have changed relative to technological developments

1: market share online...I don't know how reliable and recent that data is, but it's a fallback point if I can't get current data from the corporations/LHS's

2: your comment on elite players paying more is absolutely true, but I dont agree with the beginners/int players. These are your house league and beer league guys and each player is different. Some prefer high end stuff because they believe it will make them better OR they want to look like the pros (marketing). Some don't have much $$ to spare and would prefer the durability of entry level products. Theres no concrete data to support this so I pose a question:

Which type of gear do you see most often on rec leaguers? The high-end swag? Or the low-end?

4: Trends yes, but from reading the catalougues on MSH here, no prices are mentioned.

People are being conditioned to expect end of model year clearance pricing. Why buy a mid level product when you can buy the top end model from last year for the same price? If manufacturers get better at forecasting sales, both they and the retail shops will benefit. Easton has been very good at it over the years, they rarely blow out sticks.

Alexa: Thanks for the tip :P I suppose I could use that as supplementary evidence for demand/oligopoly

Elite products: again, theres so many opinions on this, you are focusing on technological improvement, which makes sense, but a consumer is most likely not informed enough to make purcheses based on tech. There is marketing (commercially and NHL-level), elasticity of demand, future market trends (more newer players, or baby boomers sticking with mid/entry level products) etc.etc.

You're right to some degree about casual players not understanding the upgrades in technology, but those small incremental changes are not the ones I'm talking about - I mean the major game changers like going from wood to composite. You won't see a huge swell in the purchase of elite products unless an innovation comes along to rival OPS.

As for other external factors affecting demand for products from the various segments, I don't see anything big enough on the horizon to change what we see today. You could track youth hockey enrollment to see if its trending up of down and compare that to census data for what #s will be of playing age soon, that might let you know if a swell in enrollment is going. If that bubble is coming, then you will need to determine if the new players are using entry level stuff, or high end (my gut tells me parent's with enough $ to put their kids in hockey are probably buying top-end gear).

As for marketing affecting demand, I don't think there's enough interest in this market for people to start investing big dollars (as evidenced from Nike dropping out of the game). There's just not enough people for companies to invest the kind of dollars to bring hockey into the mainstream (where the real opportunity is).

It's a lot to consider, for sure. I think you're better off the project multiple ways, to cover your bases. I doubt it will really affect your hypothesis, and your instructors will appreciate the extra effort. Either way the market grows (or shrinks), the big boys will adjust by focusing production one way or the other (either high end or low end). I see the market remaining an oligopoly, and the demand falling slightly as boomer give up the game and are not replaced by younger players.

Pricing is a very complicated topic to cover in 400 words. Most companies do a very poor job of pricing to begin with. The only thing in this thread that isn't an opinion is Chad's statement that people are conditioned to expect end of year clearances. This is a debate in the pricing realm. Holding excess inventory hurts business but in the long term price-sensitive customers who wait for sales will hurt overall profitability.

Approach your paper from the 3 Cs of marketing- company, customer, and competition. Use that framework and you will be able to approach the topic from a fairly organized point of view.

You're right to some degree about casual players not understanding the upgrades in technology, but those small incremental changes are not the ones I'm talking about - I mean the major game changers like going from wood to composite. You won't see a huge swell in the purchase of elite products unless an innovation comes along to rival OPS.

As for other external factors affecting demand for products from the various segments, I don't see anything big enough on the horizon to change what we see today. You could track youth hockey enrollment to see if its trending up of down and compare that to census data for what #s will be of playing age soon, that might let you know if a swell in enrollment is going. If that bubble is coming, then you will need to determine if the new players are using entry level stuff, or high end (my gut tells me parent's with enough $ to put their kids in hockey are probably buying top-end gear).

As for marketing affecting demand, I don't think there's enough interest in this market for people to start investing big dollars (as evidenced from Nike dropping out of the game). There's just not enough people for companies to invest the kind of dollars to bring hockey into the mainstream (where the real opportunity is).

It's a lot to consider, for sure. I think you're better off the project multiple ways, to cover your bases. I doubt it will really affect your hypothesis, and your instructors will appreciate the extra effort. Either way the market grows (or shrinks), the big boys will adjust by focusing production one way or the other (either high end or low end). I see the market remaining an oligopoly, and the demand falling slightly as boomer give up the game and are not replaced by younger players.

Investment: That's true, even on peak 'hockey hours' like on HNIC, you never see any equipment ads because the market is still too small. What you do see are brand promotions, trying to get the brand image into people's minds. Thus I wont state that marketing has a huge affect on demand, but i will mention it as a factor

remaining oligopoly : future predicitons wont be apart of my essay, but I think the opposite. As the cost of ice and the sport itself grows and grows, there will be less and less people playing, thus the potential to make supernormal profits (more than break even) will decrease, driving firms out of the industry. Eventually (after many years obviously), I believe that it will shrink, perhaps a duopoly or triopoly (exists?) will present itself

Pricing is a very complicated topic to cover in 400 words. Most companies do a very poor job of pricing to begin with. The only thing in this thread that isn't an opinion is Chad's statement that people are conditioned to expect end of year clearances. This is a debate in the pricing realm. Holding excess inventory hurts business but in the long term price-sensitive customers who wait for sales will hurt overall profitability.

Approach your paper from the 3 Cs of marketing- company, customer, and competition. Use that framework and you will be able to approach the topic from a fairly organized point of view.

4000 words actually. But in regards to the year end clearance, is it true than that the industry will be at a lower profit margin and maybe even at a loss? Where do the unsold gear go?

Thanks for the 3 C's approach, I will prob organize it that way :D

Investment: That's true, even on peak 'hockey hours' like on HNIC, you never see any equipment ads because the market is still too small. What you do see are brand promotions, trying to get the brand image into people's minds. Thus I wont state that marketing has a huge affect on demand, but i will mention it as a factor

remaining oligopoly : future predicitons wont be apart of my essay, but I think the opposite. As the cost of ice and the sport itself grows and grows, there will be less and less people playing, thus the potential to make supernormal profits (more than break even) will decrease, driving firms out of the industry. Eventually (after many years obviously), I believe that it will shrink, perhaps a duopoly or triopoly (exists?) will present itself

4000 words actually. But in regards to the year end clearance, is it true than that the industry will be at a lower profit margin and maybe even at a loss? Where do the unsold gear go?

Thanks for the 3 C's approach, I will prob organize it that way :D

Gotcha, 4000 words is much more doable. In pricing there are two numbers EVC (Economic Value to the Customer) and WTP (Willingness to Pay). EVC is what the company thinks a product is worth, WTP is what the consumer is willing to pay for an item. In a perfect world for the company the two would be the same, but they often aren't. The company then attempts to "educate" customers (marketing, advertisements, endorsement deals with athletes in the case of sports equipment) to close the gap between the two.

Clearance sales try to move already manufactured product because costs go up as stuff sits on shelves. As costs go up, profits go down. The flip side is for price-sensitive consumers, their WTP goes down because these clearance sales are regular and predictable. The balance is maintaining long-term profitability by lowering WTP while not burning money storing inventory.

I don't know where unsold gear goes, some donated maybe, some destroyed.

A point you may want to hit, profit margin is one thing, overall profitability is another. If you have a high volume you can be profitable with a low margin, with higher end items where the volume is lower, you do need higher margins to maintain profitability.

Look for market and industry reports online, they will give you what you need to know if you can find them. Some may require a membership, some have free trials.

Check the SEC site for 10K reports for American companies. Every company has to file one a year, they describe their business in a lot of detail. You can get the Canadian companies filings at the SEDAR site.

Check the SEC site for 10K reports for American companies. Every company has to file one a year, they describe their business in a lot of detail. You can get the Canadian companies filings at the SEDAR site.

Minor point - SEC filings are only required of companies that have either equity or debt that is publicly traded, I'm guessing SEDAR is the same, but I'm not positive. Some private companies do make financial information available, but not many.

People are being conditioned to expect end of model year clearance pricing. Why buy a mid level product when you can buy the top end model from last year for the same price? If manufacturers get better at forecasting sales, both they and the retail shops will benefit. Easton has been very good at it over the years, they rarely blow out sticks.

Haha, Easton NEVER produces enough OPS. A dealer cannot fill in on Easton OPS in the 4th quarter. Easton never has inventory.

1: market share online...I don't know how reliable and recent that data is, but it's a fallback point if I can't get current data from the corporations/LHS's

2: your comment on elite players paying more is absolutely true, but I dont agree with the beginners/int players. These are your house league and beer league guys and each player is different. Some prefer high end stuff because they believe it will make them better OR they want to look like the pros (marketing). Some don't have much $$ to spare and would prefer the durability of entry level products. Theres no concrete data to support this so I pose a question:

Which type of gear do you see most often on rec leaguers? The high-end swag? Or the low-end?

4: Trends yes, but from reading the catalougues on MSH here, no prices are mentioned.

That is very true about beginners and intermediate players, I should have been more specific. There are many many variables that do affect what a causal player chooses for equipment but that can be included in your report. If you look into consumer behavior theory (Hierarchy of needs, Maslow, etc) you can get a lot of info to help in your report about who buys what for what reasons :D

Also very true, an ideal inventory management would produce what exactly will be needed without creating shortages which becomes lost profits and more business for competitors. This is how Honda and Toyota became powerhouses, using a just-in-time inventory system to meet demand.

Minor point - SEC filings are only required of companies that have either equity or debt that is publicly traded, I'm guessing SEDAR is the same, but I'm not positive. Some private companies do make financial information available, but not many.

I dug some 10K reports online, but I've only found Easton and Reebok-CCM (part of the Adidas Group report)

Some snippets I found:

Easton -

wholesale shipments of gear rose 9% form 2006 to 2008 in the US

they 'believe' that 47% of NHLers use their sticks (should be higher now that a lot of pros switched over to the S19 or the repainted whatever)

from 2007-2009, net sales were around 15% of Easton's sales , around $112 000 000

Reebok/CCM -

not a lot of numbers data, but sales decreased 5% in 2009 about 177 million Euro

Now I need to find stuff from Warrior (part of New Balance), TPS-Sherwood and Bauer (no 10k reports ANYWHERE)

That is very true about beginners and intermediate players, I should have been more specific. There are many many variables that do affect what a causal player chooses for equipment but that can be included in your report. If you look into consumer behavior theory (Hierarchy of needs, Maslow, etc) you can get a lot of info to help in your report about who buys what for what reasons :D

Also very true, an ideal inventory management would produce what exactly will be needed without creating shortages which becomes lost profits and more business for competitors. This is how Honda and Toyota became powerhouses, using a just-in-time inventory system to meet demand.

So you and Darkstar are saying that Easton has JUST ENOUGH supply of gear (not just OPS) to meet demand BEFORE SEASON START (Aug-Oct) and that they have a SHORTAGE near season's end? And this is to maximize profit and minimize losses by sotring unsold inventory?

Now I need to find stuff from Warrior (part of New Balance), TPS-Sherwood and Bauer (no 10k reports ANYWHERE)

Bauer is owned by private equity firm Kohlberg and Co, LLC, their site is http://www.kohlberg.com. Maybe you can contact them directly for some general information or they can point you in the right direction. Just keep Googling, you will eventually find what you need.

You can also take the info you have and apply it to the entire industry. What Easton believes is probably similar to what others are going with, they all have similar info. Just make sure to make that clear in your report.

Bauer is owned by private equity firm Kohlberg and Co, LLC, their site is http://www.kohlberg.com. Maybe you can contact them directly for some general information or they can point you in the right direction. Just keep Googling, you will eventually find what you need.

You can also take the info you have and apply it to the entire industry. What Easton believes is probably similar to what others are going with, they all have similar info. Just make sure to make that clear in your report.

I wouldn't hold your breath about trying to get information from Kohlberg. PE companies are notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to their portfolio companies as they eventually have to exit the investment so portfolio companies are technically always "for sale," for the right price of course. And KKR, the firm Kohlberg helped to start before founding his own firm, is more secretive than most.

Haha, Easton NEVER produces enough OPS. A dealer cannot fill in on Easton OPS in the 4th quarter. Easton never has inventory.

For them, that is better than having overstock. It has been that way for years so it is obviously part of their business plan.

I wouldn't hold your breath about trying to get information from Kohlberg. PE companies are notoriously tight-lipped when it comes to their portfolio companies as they eventually have to exit the investment so portfolio companies are technically always "for sale," for the right price of course. And KKR, the firm Kohlberg helped to start before founding his own firm, is more secretive than most.

Crap, guess I'll try anyways, but will probably have to resort to store data...it will be awkward as I'll be asking the same people for a job in a few months :huh:

For them, that is better than having overstock. It has been that way for years so it is obviously part of their business plan.

Alrite, so for Easton at the end of the year/off season in b/w product lines, their quantity supplied goes down but prices remain the same, got it.

Alrite, so for Easton at the end of the year/off season in b/w product lines, their quantity supplied goes down but prices remain the same, got it.

It also encourages shops to buy more product up front because they know they won't be able to get supplemental shipments late in the year.

Crap, guess I'll try anyways, but will probably have to resort to store data...it will be awkward as I'll be asking the same people for a job in a few months :huh:

The problem with asking stores when you are doing a paper about the industry is the store is just a snapshot of a small corner of the industry. Were I you, I'd go with whatever I had the most complete information on and write the paper around that. So the paper would be about the industry and use whichever company you have the most numbers for to illustrate your points. Structure it like a business school case.