Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Blasts From The Past

I decided to open a thread for any discussion on the catalogues that DarkStar50 has been generous enough to allow us to add to our repository.

For those who haven't seen the link, it is here - http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/Index.php?/files/category/24-blasts-from-the-past/

Just finished the 1993 CCM catalogue and that one sure brought back a lot of personal memories for me because it was around the time that I could actually wear adult equipment. I remember playing in South Florida and one of my teammates bought a pair of 652 Vakutacks but the closest Vakutack machine was in Detroit. :)

I decided to open a thread for any discussion on the catalogues that DarkStar50 has been generous enough to allow us to add to our repository.

For those who haven't seen the link, it is here - http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums/Index.php?/files/category/24-blasts-from-the-past/

Just finished the 1993 CCM catalogue and that one sure brought back a lot of personal memories for me because it was around the time that I could actually wear adult equipment. I remember playing in South Florida and one of my teammates bought a pair of 652 Vakutacks but the closest Vakutack machine was in Detroit. :)

Tell me about it! We recently lost a rink in our area to a fire that was lost in time! The proshop still had a brand new pair of 652 Vacutacks on the shelf along with Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford Jersey's. I wanted those skates so bad back then!

I just realized after looking at the catalog, that almost all of my original hockey gear was in this catalog! I had 552's super tacks, the 41o supra's, the 400 series shoulder pads, and the matching elbow pads! Thanks for posting that catalog, it brings back a lot of good memories!

And this was around the time I got my first hockey gear! (Maybe it was 1994?)

I still have my youth HG90s somewhere, and I really remember how the heel wedge looked so awesomely cool!

wow, that catalog brings back a lot of memories.

I had the 652's from the previous year and those were my first legitimate brand new skate. Before then all of the skates I used were hand me downs. I remember driving from LI to Connecticut to go to Wesco Sports because they took skate trade-ins. I couldn't believe that my dad actually was OK with buying me top of the line skates.

Also the HG135 gloves from that catalog were a great pair of gloves. Simple four roll design, I remember choosing the Easton GX1350's for christmas that year over those gloves.

I remember getting my 352s in Christmas of 93. Stars had just come to town and I wanted to look like Mike Modano. Christmas in Canada and a weak dollar at the time made for a good christmas.

I also remember later getting an HT2 and some Easton GX gloves.

The other part that brings back memories of this catalog was the demand for the Ear pieces that came with the HT2.

Back in the day in my neck of the woods the thing to do when you were around 13/14 years old to take your earpieces out so you were just rocking the ear loops. Mostly because either guys who played juniors or prep school didn't have to wear ear pieces but for USA hockey they were mandatory. If you showed up at a skate or hockey camp or whatever with just ear loops it was kind of like instant credibility or guys would wonder where you played.

I had an HT2 that I took out those vented earpieces and replaced with regular ear loops I stole off my dad's helmet. I still needed ear pieces though for USA hockey league games, so I would trim about half off of those ear pieces and take them off and on as need be. A lot of guys I played adopted the same thing and someone was always forgetting to put the ear pieces back on or losing them. And yes my gear whoring and modding started very young.

I still use the grey Cooper girdle featured on the cover of the catalogue. I inherited it in 8th grade when I hit my growth spurt and, many alterations later, still have it.

Brings back memories, I wanted those Pump Tacks at that time. I ended up getting the ones I think are year or two after those ones in the catalogue, I think the pumps I had was one of the first years they had the pro lite 3 blades.

JR, those are the ones I had! Completely forgot about that instapump thing with those little canisters. I wish I had kept those Tacks, I think I let my brother take it to play it again to trade it in for some credit so he can get a stick or something.

ha! that ccm catalog has a few things that i bought when i was 15 (and got my first job!)

the 352s, hg 125ss, and the sp600 shoulder pads.

had a couple of things from the karhu catalog too...

the jofa asd 5500 gloves - least comfortable gloves ive ever owned.

also used the titan asd 8000 and 7000 sticks at that point (forsberg pattern)...

id buy one every other month and use the old stick for ball hockey.

The Karhu Catalog is an absolute Gem and its also around the time I first started working in a pro shop and dumping my pay check back into the store.

And the infamous 'Corebeam' name peaks its head out.

Where to start with this one, the Jagr patterned 2250 blades had one of my favorite curves of all time. Corebeam shaft I always wanted one but never got it. And then the Titan ASD Infusion blade with the Fluery pattern. Those Titan blades were a must have for roller hockey (indoor and outdoor), they lasted forever, were great to curve, blade was thin as anything, just an absolute staple for roller hockey around this time.

The fact that theres an Eric Fichaud patterned goalie stick in this catalog as an Islander fan makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

And finally the big one, the FM 381 Cage. These things were absolute gold and sold like hot cakes in the shop. I remember busting kids who tried to unscrew these cages off of some the Jofa 390 helmets we had. Around this time we started just selling the cages and were left with a bunch of Jofa 390 helmets no one wanted.

The other thing about this catalog and I know its basically 3 brands under one roof, but the plethora of curves is astonishing. I wish we had that many options today.

97 Was the only year between about '96 and 2002 that I didn't use a Koho shafts. I had used the Vector DRC and the Revolution shafts before that, but hated the CoreBeam, of course in '98 they came out with the CoreLight which was my stick of choice basically until the original Synergy came out in '02. When they discontinued them in 2000 I bought 2 dozen because they broke all the time.

Love the 97 Heaton catalogue. I drove past Heaton's every Saturday night for years on the way to play hockey at Harrow Arena. Brings back a lot of good memories. Stopped in one day and actually talked at length with Brian Heaton. He took time to show me all the gear that was currently in production for various NHL/Pro players. Couldn't believe he would just take time out of his day to talk to just a random guy off the street. I was a Heaton fan for years after that. At one point I had the Helite 5 pads, Heaton pants, Heaton c/a, Heaton cup, Heaton bag, Heaton sticks even a pair of all white Heaton 5 goalie skates. Ahh the old days...

Old pic of the Helite 5's when they were new...

mike_b2.jpg

with a "Vic Rhino" mask and "Vic" Hirsch goalie stick... now there is a company we need catalogues from... :)

with a "Vic Rhino" mask and "Vic" Hirsch goalie stick... now there is a company we need catalogues from... :)

Yes, my favorite blade/curve combination of all times was a Vic, sadly, I can't remember what pattern it was and whatnot. Just remember that I could wrist and slap the puck with accuracy and speed. I broke it on an outdoors rink when stick got stuck in a crack and the butt end got me in the stomach. Painful way to break a blade.

Wel, there's the answer to what the 8k Pro shin pad is....it's the old 5090! Looks just like it....perfect match!

1991 Canstar catalogue is up - Tuuk v2 blades (I was still seeing those from time to time in MI for sharpening), Lange Quadraflex skates, FLAK protective, good stuff!

1991 Canstar catalogue is up - Tuuk v2 blades (I was still seeing those from time to time in MI for sharpening), Lange Quadraflex skates, FLAK protective, good stuff!

I'm in tears looking at the Techniflex gloves from this catalog, they look glorious. And look at all of the color options, New Jersey, North Stars, Calgary, Islanders, whalers, and vancouver!

I wish I could have a company 'Modano' up me a pair of these Technfilex like what was done with Modano's 9500s.