Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jds

For all you dads out there

I never thought I'd ever get a van because I wouldn't really need to use the 3rd row of seats and would need more cargo space so I thought SUVs were in my future.

I'm not sure how minivans compare to the behemoth SUV's, but I believe they have MUCH more cargo space than 90% of the SUV's on the road.

I've never understood the fascination with SUV's. They have less cargo space, don't drive as smoothly, get worse gas mileage, and cost more. I understand some people live in areas that have inclement weather, but I'd wager that over 50% of the SUV's don't see snow more than once every five years.

I owned a minivan before kids and I'll likely own a minivan after kids. The only thing I find dismaying is the manufacturers have gone away from AWD for minivans over the past decade.

I'm not sure how minivans compare to the behemoth SUV's, but I believe they have MUCH more cargo space than 90% of the SUV's on the road.

I've never understood the fascination with SUV's. They have less cargo space, don't drive as smoothly, get worse gas mileage, and cost more. I understand some people live in areas that have inclement weather, but I'd wager that over 50% of the SUV's don't see snow more than once every five years.

I owned a minivan before kids and I'll likely own a minivan after kids. The only thing I find dismaying is the manufacturers have gone away from AWD for minivans over the past decade.

Gas is ridiculous for suv's. Costs me over $100 each week

Gas is ridiculous for suv's. Costs me over $100 each week

SUVs are more of a mom-mobile rather than a dad-vehicle around here. Have to stay out of their blind spots. We have a station wagon that can fit the son's hockey bag, my hockey bag, a goalie's set of equipment, and 3 people.

The little old 3-dr hatchback has been claimed by my son. Manual everything. He thinks all cars' steering wheels are hard to turn.

Have you drive on Michigan roads? :blink::wink:

Never thought I would get a van myself, but have been tempted in the past... and I mean VAN and not people mover. Would be good for those long coastal trips that we're planning to take in the next two years. Ended up with a Nissan Skyline R34 because the wife said 'just buy what you want, you are the only one going to drive it'.

She owns a Honda Jazz/Fit, which is still a scaled down version of the minvan, seats fold into the floor etc. And since there are only 3 of us, it works out.

Have you drive on Michigan roads? :blink::wink:

If you're suggesting Michigan roads are icy in the winter, great, that explains why consumers would want an AWD vehicle in Michigan. It wouldn't explain why so many SUV's are sold in the southern states.

Never thought I would get a van myself, but have been tempted in the past... and I mean VAN and not people mover. Would be good for those long coastal trips that we're planning to take in the next two years. Ended up with a Nissan Skyline R34 because the wife said 'just buy what you want, you are the only one going to drive it'.

She owns a Honda Jazz/Fit, which is still a scaled down version of the minvan, seats fold into the floor etc. And since there are only 3 of us, it works out.

Skyline or van hmmmmmm... :biggrin:

Fit's are surprisingly roomy.

If you're suggesting Michigan roads are icy in the winter, great, that explains why consumers would want an AWD vehicle in Michigan. It wouldn't explain why so many SUV's are sold in the southern states.

Not at all, you need the SUV for the suspension due to the roads being very bumpy, huge potholes, huge transitions, etc.

:biggrin:

You bring up some good points, my wife is pregnant right now with our first child and I've always wanted 2 kids (maybe 3 but, that would be the max). I never thought I'd ever get a van because I wouldn't really need to use the 3rd row of seats and would need more cargo space so I thought SUVs were in my future. But, the points about getting the kids in and out of vans vs. SUV makes a lot of sense, getting them to climb in or lifting them into the SUV could be a hassle and the sliding doors would be very helpful. I could also just drive around with the 3rd row seat removed most of the time and put them in when I need them.

There are several SUVs with "3" rows of seats, but in most of them, the 3rd row is almost non-functional.

I was stupid. I bought an MDX in large part because of the 3rd row of seats and Honda/Acura's reputation. I spent a long time thinking about them - and believe me, I research the heck out of these things - and finally settled on the MDX over other "3-row" SUVs in the MDX class (sorry Dolomatic, but I didn't consider US vehicles). I only have 2 kids but if we ever want to carry a 3rd passenger, it's nearly impossible with 2 car seats, so I wanted the option of having that 3rd row.

Well, I was driving home after signing the purchase agreement and I realized that in order to access the 3rd row, you have to slide AND FOLD the 2nd row seat forward, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to fold the 3rd row forward without removing a car seat. I almost crashed my car when I realized this. So I picked my vehicle because of a 3rd row which I cannot even really use for the next 2 or 3 years. I know I could have backed out of the deal at that point, but I decided not to since I really needed an AWD vehicle to get to our cottage in the winters and I didn't have the energy to start research more vehicles.

Anyways, a few times I have used the 3rd row - I climbed over the back - and it's pretty darn uncomfortable there. I'd say the 3rd row in most SUVs is not worth basing any buying decision upon. I talked to a CX-9 owner and she says it's the same way.

Last complaining point : the MDX only takes premium which adds a good bit to the fuel bill. I really didn't think that purchase over carefully enough.

That is too cool; I truly laughed out loud!

I've often wondered if some men bring their err, ahh, umm, competitive nature into lawn care simply as a matter of self preservation; turn it into a game as a defense against the mind-numbing bits of the weekly grind. I gave up on lawn... just have flowers *grins* I used to apologise to my fellow anytime I dragged him into a garden centre until he finally told me to knock it off. He says, going in, he knows he is taking one for the team and mentally he is hiking his pants and saying 'suck it up and just do it" and my apology was ruining his game face. Kinda like asking someone "Aren't you cold?" "well, I wasn't 'til you asked, but thanks much; I am now that I am thinking about it!!"

I had a mom-mobile mini van for a number of years; it was a love/hate relationship. Miss its room, but love my car! 'course, I'm just into the next phase of parenthood - this year I get out of the tyranny of driving to practices, but I'll lose the car so she can drive herself. *grins*

Let's see how many things I can check off:

- I've got the cheap sunglasses

- don't have a minivan but I have a crossover SUV

- I do take pictures of my kid doing goofy crap

- I just got a grill last week and don't think I've gone two days without firing it up

- don't have a yard (apartment)

- have the 1080p TV

- I am constantly fixing things

I have a Nissan Murano...it gets okay mileage (19 mpg combined) but takes regular and has more than enough room for the hockey gear and the kid stuff. I do like the Rogue quite a bit, way better mileage, a bit smaller, almost as much space.