Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Sane

Removing stripped screws

I bought one of the Hejduk Sport visors a while back, and I like it but it's fogging up a bit, so I tried to take it off and use the slots to give more ventilation up top. Well, it won't come off, the screws and the washer just turn together and the screws won't come out. In the process, I've stripped the head of the screws and now I'm unsure as to what to do. I'm sure there are products that can help me, but I'm not sure what I can use on hockey helmets. Any suggestions?

BTW I tried everything to remove the screws, including using pliers to keep the washer in place. They wouldn't budge and actually that's how the screws got stripped.

A Dremel tool can be useful too. Cut an X in the head of the screw, and it should be easy...or at least easier...to break apart/remove with needle nose pliers. But as Buzz says....you can very easily melt the visor with the heat off the tool. I mangled a visor with this method removing rusted hardware a while back.

Go to your local hardware store & buy a set of extractors or backouts. You can buy various diameters, but I've found having a set is nice for the other screws & bolts that get stripped or snapped. Used properly, you won't damage your helmet or whatever the subject screw is in.

If you have the time and patience, you can heat or expoxy glue a metal rod to the screw and l then take it out with a drill, that is a bit safer than drilling it out if you don't trust yourself

Another option*: Set the helmet aside, go to your LHS, buy a new helmet, then 2 weeks later "discover" how to get the screw out of the old one. Too late to return the new lid. :-)

*this technique is suggested for those who have SO's that raise an eyebrow to new gear.

I use the Dremel option. It's a handy tool to have in the house anyway. Can do just about any job that requires any amount of precision.