Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mnpucker

LS2 Steel Quality

Recently I have experienced a couple issues with LS2 steel on One100 boots. A couple boys I coach got new skates in the last month, they both have had problems maintaining an edge. The first kid took them in to LHS a couple times for new edges....steel would not hold it. The LHS told him there are increasing occurrences of low quality steel. They exchanged the steel. Today the second kid gave me his skates to look at, they were purchased last week. I own a sharpener (personal use only) and know enough about skates to be dangerous. I took the skate home to check them out. He too was having issues with his edges. I sharpened the skate as I normally would and after about 4 passes I noticed the steel was bent. Watching the wheel the steel was almost off the top of my XO2 wheel at the toe and heel yet right on in the middle of the blade. I checked the other steel and it too had a pretty major bend. Both were bent like this ( ), identical bends.

Is this normal? I thought i read a post that called into question the current quality of LS2 steel. I realize steel can take a shape after use but these are brand new.

Are the holders mounted straight and true? An incorrectly mounted holder will bend steel every time. We have not had any problems with LS2 this season. We have sold a lot of LS2 runner 2-packs, too.

Guys all good stuff I will check his holders. Thing is the bend is identical on each so both would have to be mounted wrong. The kid skated on them tonight and he said they seemed better.

It's not the steel. Remove it and it will be perfectly straight. Mis-mounted holders, this is very common with skates made by a particular brand. I would advise that person to return the skates for another pair.

Switch the steel between the left and right skates and check the straightness. If they're still curved like () like you said, then it's the holders.

Some good info here. I just received my One100s Friday. Wish this would have been said sooner, but its still soon enough. Right skate must be mounted wrong, left is good. Even after removing the steel from the holder it was still bent. Put the steel in from the other skate to verify it was the holder, and after a struggle it was in and had a curve due to a crooked holder. I realized this after baking, sharpening, and one skate, but it sounds like the retailer is going to take care of me. Have to send them back for replacement, but apparently I'm not the first. Sucks. I think the Blackstone holder was able to straighten the runner while in it so this didn't rear its head during sharpening, but Im glad I found out soon enough. Thanks for the info everyone.

Yeah I've been noticing a lot lately of the the one100s and the one80s to have come misaligned right out of the box. I thought we were the only ones getting bad batches.

im bending holders and steels all over the place. it seems like i get maybe 6 good uses out of a holder/runner before the steels are bent and holders distorted. idk wtf