Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

frankie56

Throwing a Game

I sort of chuckle when I read about how unethical it is to throw a game to gain an advantage, and how it's a wrong message to send to our youth. As much as we hate it, and as cynical as it sounds, aren't we actually properly preparing them for the crappy dog-eat-dog reality that they will have to face in their adulthood?

Under that scenario, I'd argue that we're training them to have a dog-eat-dog mentality in their adulthood. Conversely, exhibiting proper ethics, sportsmanship or support might actually illustrate to them that life doesn't need to be win at all costs to be successful or enjoyable.

One thing I am very proud about in my coaching career is not my record, but my retention. We've only won five games in four years of baseball; last year we lost every game, and only were close in one game. These are 13-year-olds who could easily find something better to do with their time, but all but one kid is returning. The other fathers and I do the best we can to teach skills to the players, but the truth is we all know we're outmanned versus the other teams in the region, who have much larger player pools to pick from. However, what really irritates me is not the teams in the region, but the teams in our town. Every year we get phone calls from parents whose children have never played baseball, and had been "politely declined" by the other coaches. Wouldn't want a newbie putting a blemish on our youth coaching resume, would we?

It's all about priorities. And, for me, the priority is to contribute in whatever way I can to help raise productive, happy, successful citizens. Obviously, their parents are most important and their teachers are second most important, but I'll do my part to help them navigate the role into adulthood.

Coach Morris Buttermaker: "Listen, Lupus, you didn't come into this life just to sit around on a dugout bench, did ya? Now get your ass out there and do the best you can."

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Coach Morris Buttermaker: "Listen, Lupus, you didn't come into this life just to sit around on a dugout bench, did ya? Now get your ass out there and do the best you can."

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Not to spoil a good thing, but he also told Rudi: "The first inside pitch you get, lean into it, let it hit you."

Coach Morris Buttermaker: [trying to console Ahmad after his errors in the first loss] There was nothing easy about those fly balls, Ahmad. They were tough chances! The sun was in your eyes!

Ahmad Abdul Rahim: Don't give me none of your honky bullshit, Buttermaker. I know they were easy.

Coach Morris Buttermaker: Let's not bring race into this, Ahmad. We got enough problems as it is.

Under that scenario, I'd argue that we're training them to have a dog-eat-dog mentality in their adulthood. Conversely, exhibiting proper ethics, sportsmanship or support might actually illustrate to them that life doesn't need to be win at all costs to be successful or enjoyable.

One thing I am very proud about in my coaching career is not my record, but my retention. We've only won five games in four years of baseball; last year we lost every game, and only were close in one game. These are 13-year-olds who could easily find something better to do with their time, but all but one kid is returning. The other fathers and I do the best we can to teach skills to the players, but the truth is we all know we're outmanned versus the other teams in the region, who have much larger player pools to pick from. However, what really irritates me is not the teams in the region, but the teams in our town. Every year we get phone calls from parents whose children have never played baseball, and had been "politely declined" by the other coaches. Wouldn't want a newbie putting a blemish on our youth coaching resume, would we?

It's all about priorities. And, for me, the priority is to contribute in whatever way I can to help raise productive, happy, successful citizens. Obviously, their parents are most important and their teachers are second most important, but I'll do my part to help them navigate the role into adulthood.

I actually completely agree with you. I really think the point of youth sports should be fun, exercise, and learning the game. Whether it's hockey, football, baseball, or any other sport. The problem really starts with parents who've decided at the ripe old age of 12 that little Johnny is clearly destined to be a NCAA hockey player. It's then embraced by coaches that believe each tournament won, each championship won, and each player that they coach that goes on to higher levels is a stepping stone on their way to a coaching career. It's not just hockey either, but really every sport. It's created a youth sports culture that really places a lot of value on winning. Until people actually start to engage and changing the culture of youth sports this kind of thing that has a place in higher levels is going to continue to be seen. So it really starts with parents telling their kids to play games because the games are fun, and that they will probably never be college or professional athletes.

I actually completely agree with you. I really think the point of youth sports should be fun, exercise, and learning the game. Whether it's hockey, football, baseball, or any other sport. The problem really starts with parents who've decided at the ripe old age of 12 that little Johnny is clearly destined to be a NCAA hockey player. It's then embraced by coaches that believe each tournament won, each championship won, and each player that they coach that goes on to higher levels is a stepping stone on their way to a coaching career. It's not just hockey either, but really every sport. It's created a youth sports culture that really places a lot of value on winning. Until people actually start to engage and changing the culture of youth sports this kind of thing that has a place in higher levels is going to continue to be seen. So it really starts with parents telling their kids to play games because the games are fun, and that they will probably never be college or professional athletes.

But where do you draw the line between play to learn and play to win? If you draw it too early, kids burn out and you eliminate late bloomers. If you draw it too late, you could cost a kid a college scholarship and a pro career because he never learns the killer instinct or competitive drive he needs to succeed. As one poster mentioned, these kids are high school age. I think that high school should be the de facto turning point where the kid's primary goal is winning. I have no problem with participation trophies up to around age 12, maybe 13, but after that, you play to win. And at that point, the championship becomes the ultimate goal. In 20 years, those high school kids will still remember the laughs on the bus rides, and the life lessons that come from another set of wind sprints. But you have to get to a point where the lessons are earned on the way to winning or losing, because those kids aren't listening to the sports version of Aesops fables anymore. Chances are, if they bleed and sweat for a victory, win or lose, the handshake at the end of the game will mean a hell of a lot more than if they went through the motions.

And yes, I realize some of that contradicts my original posts, but my overall point is that these kids are at an age where winning should be paramount and the coach acted with the championship on his mind. Sports have always tiptoed around the idea that "if you're not cheating you're not trying" and while this is more egregious than an over curved stick, the point I'm trying to make is the coach did what he thought would help win the championship.

Here is the point that you keep missing. You can play to win and still play with respect for the game.

A good coach would find a way to beat the other team, not avoid them. His actions are typical anymore in the US. Rather than work harder or improve yourself, look for a loophole or a way to avoid doing something difficult.

If that's what a coach wants to teach, he doesn't belong in that job. I wouldn't let my kid play for him. That's a perfect example of skewed priorities, putting winning over integrity and competing in the sport. Fire him.

Took the words right out of my mouth.