Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlyingDutchman

Can you recommend a good DVD for skills?

I don't mean a drills kind of DVD. I'd like a DVD that can share with me tips and practical things to think of as plays develop playing in the different positions (wing, center, d). This is primarily because I grew up playing on ponds, and only have played organized as an adult in beer leagues.

I know the very basics: wingers forecheck, centers help d in their own zone, etc, etc...

Does anyone know any good DVD or tutorials that could help with what I should be thinking in certain situations and how to handle typical situations that arise in the different positions?

thanks in advance

Team Canada Skills of Gold Vol 2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H5VAEI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000H5VAE8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=05C0AN3WGN4GBSPNAW27

I don't mean a drills kind of DVD. I'd like a DVD that can share with me tips and practical things to think of as plays develop playing in the different positions (wing, center, d). This is primarily because I grew up playing on ponds, and only have played organized as an adult in beer leagues.

I know the very basics: wingers forecheck, centers help d in their own zone, etc, etc...

Does anyone know any good DVD or tutorials that could help with what I should be thinking in certain situations and how to handle typical situations that arise in the different positions?

thanks in advance

It's not a DVD, but check out a book titled The Hockey Play Book.

http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Play-Book-Teaching-Systems/dp/B003A02Z5K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299255407&sr=8-1

It does a great job of teaching systems and explaining the strengths and weaknesses of each.

I picked that book and another up cheap on abe.com. I am looking forward to reading it, and thanks for the heads up on it.

Bob

I think the summit series dvd set is one of the most essential piece of positional development. Just check out how the russians played.

Which DVD set are you referring to?

This arrived yesterday, and it's awesome, awesome, awesome. Exactly what I was looking for. Literally, there are hundreds of detailed video examples of how to approach offense and defense one on one and how to tie it all together into team plays. I don't know how much time I will spend with a book after getting this video, and I'm kinda anxious to find some open ice time and a partner to practice some of these moves outside of a game situation.

Thanks for the heads up!

How is Vol 1 ?

Vol 1 is great. I use it for drills for myself as well as for my son who is a minimite. Goes over many skating and stickhandling drills from the very basic to more difficult.

I just received these in the mail from amazon. Both volumes are essential: volume 1 drills you on your fundamental techniques, and volume 2 teaches you how to apply them within an actual game.

These dvds are basically the hockey bible. Can't recommend them highly enough.

This may sound silly... but read wikipedia's articles on the various hockey positions. They go over fairly well the responsibilities of each.

I'll check out those DVDs, they sound pretty good.

If you have a USA Hockey resource center in your area, they will have hundreds of hours of video on positioning and skills that you can watch. Some of the stuff they use for their higher level coaching seminars is pretty good.

Interesting. Can you just walk-in?

I think I'm going to buy these DVDs. Gives me something to watch while I'm stuck in hotels for weeks on end.