Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beflar

Steel Questions

I was raised on t-blades so I know nothing about different steel. I just bought some Graf skates last year and the steel is fine as far as I can tell. Is it worth swapping out steel for something "better" (if there is such a thing)?

Any knowledge you want to drop on steel would be greatly appreciated as well.

The graf steel is not really great quality, not smooth, rusts easy. If you want to upgrade, the STEP cobra steel is for sure better, and the STEP Velocity, even a "step" above that. With a better quality steel, you get longer lasting edges, better resistance to chipping, reduced chance of breakage, and less rusting. The reduced amount of sharpenings required will pay for them in no time.

The graf steel is not really great quality, not smooth, rusts easy. If you want to upgrade, the STEP cobra steel is for sure better, and the STEP Velocity, even a "step" above that. With a better quality steel, you get longer lasting edges, better resistance to chipping, reduced chance of breakage, and less rusting. The reduced amount of sharpenings required will pay for them in no time.

Is Step steel the best steel in general and how much do they cost?

Step is great. I had velocity runners in my one 95's and they held an edge great. I have the regular step steel in my G5 Ultra's and they are a step above the regular Graf steel, but I kinda wish I had the Velocity. They are also coming out with a new Titanium/Steel set up similar to the Fusion which you might want to consider but I believe those are going to be $120+. V-Steel is the renamed velocity it's around $90 a set, regular step is around $70.

I am NOT a good skater and can vouch for the fact that I really do feel the difference between the STEP velocity steel and my other STEP's. The velocity has a way better glide to it and it feels like less drag with the same contour and 1/2" sharpening. Lasts for about 10 sessions on ice too.

Step is great. I had velocity runners in my one 95's and they held an edge great. I have the regular step steel in my G5 Ultra's and they are a step above the regular Graf steel, but I kinda wish I had the Velocity. They are also coming out with a new Titanium/Steel set up similar to the Fusion which you might want to consider but I believe those are going to be $120+. V-Steel is the renamed velocity it's around $90 a set, regular step is around $70.

So where online can i get the v-steel or fusion one. I'm having trouble finding them.

I am NOT a good skater and can vouch for the fact that I really do feel the difference between the STEP velocity steel and my other STEP's. The velocity has a way better glide to it and it feels like less drag with the same contour and 1/2" sharpening. Lasts for about 10 sessions on ice too.

i noticed a bit of dragging with my reg step steel but i still love them over the ls2 steel, i'll pay the extra $$ and upgrade next time.

i noticed a bit of dragging with my reg step steel but i still love them over the ls2 steel, i'll pay the extra $$ and upgrade next time.

I noticed the very same thing but then tried the Velocity steel and it's right on the money if not a little "slicker" feeling.