Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JR Boucicaut

Easton SyNergy EQ50 Skate/NanoGlide runners Initial Thoughts

The overall fit is the same, as is the design. The EQ40 just has a different liner and uses texalium for the outsole and some of the construction instead of composite. The EQ40 is still an excellent skate.

Just curious as to why they coated the bottom of the runner in the material if it was going to be ground away anyhow?

I would guess that the coating would be applied through submerging it in a bath, similar to the way chrome plating is done.

Updated, as well as a side review - NanoGlide

JR, when you received the runners, did they come installed in a new holder as well? In the 'bottom runner view' pic it has the nanoglide logo on it. I assume you pulled the runners out and installed them on your EQ50's. Wondering if the holder is any different dimensions than a Razor Bladz 2 to accommodate the added thickness of the nanoglide film or just purely cosmetic.

Interesting how once you got the nanoglide coating off they were easy/normal to sharpen, wonder if there's a retail future for these if they just sold them already cross ground?

JR, when you received the runners, did they come installed in a new holder as well? In the 'bottom runner view' pic it has the nanoglide logo on it. I assume you pulled the runners out and installed them on your EQ50's. Wondering if the holder is any different dimensions than a Razor Bladz 2 to accommodate the added thickness of the nanoglide film or just purely cosmetic.

They had sent me runners and holders, which ended up being the wrong size (288). So after that was cleared up, they sent me the right size runners for the EQ50 (296).

If this is as good as advertised, might throw the 288s on my TotalONEs - I'm already skating on that size holder on them anyway.

Interesting how once you got the nanoglide coating off they were easy/normal to sharpen, wonder if there's a retail future for these if they just sold them already cross ground?

That's on them. It may be that it's cost-prohibitive to go the retail route; I don't know the full story.

I tried a pair the other day and would recommend against trying them against the bauers. They do feel like a cross between a RBK and a bauer as comfort goes. Not as comfy as an RBK. But has some of the Bauer edge feel.

Jr, how do you like the honing tool. I too have a pair of Nanoglide runners from easton and find them incredibly easy to hone after sharpening. Could it be due to the coating on the skates and is that honing tool much different from mine (blackstone teardrop), Thanks

Can i just contact my rep to get a stone or how would i go about getting one. I love the steel and hope to keep it for quite some time.

Boot reminds me a lot of a Mission XP cut.

I couldn't agree more with this, and for that very reason, I have finally found my skates. It has been a long, painful, and sometimes expensive journey...but alas, the EQ50 is the winner for me. I couldn't be more thrilled.

I have been in XP boots for the past few seasons, and over the last year (or so) I have been on the neverending quest to find a new pair of skates that were right for my feet, what I preferred in functionality, and my style of play. Literally, nothing worked, and I tried a bunch. CCM CL, U12, U+ Pro, Supreme One80, Graf G70....none of them worked. Aside from my helmet, Skates are the one piece of equipment that I just can't compromise on. The fit/functionality has to be perfect.

The EQ50 is really reminiscent of the taller, Mission XP cut of boot. The EQ50 heel lock is off the charts - an absolute vice. Out of the box, the fit felt perfect, I couldn't imagine they would fit even better after baked, but they did. I am never one to talk in outrageous embellishment or hyperbole when describing something, so believe me when I say these things.

Easton has a major winner with this skate. I know JR is writing LTR for the EQ50, but I'd actually like to contribute a 'standard' review after a couple months skating on these. Again, I couldn't be happier.

EDIT: For whatever reason, the Easton RBII holder and steel has been maligned by various people, but I've had nothing but positive experience so far. Completely responsive and trustworthy.

Chances are, your rep wouldn't have them as they were never sold at retail, but you can try anyway.

If you read my thread it isn't a stone.

But is it used to take off the burrs after sharpening, I just dont want to ruin the steel if i used a honing stone after i sharpen them. I understand it polishes the steel and prolongs life.

In regards to the fit of the skate, did you et a chance to try the EQ5's? and if so could you touch on any major differences in terms of fit and materials?

JR, are you experiencing the coating coming off the blades? Looks l have run into some posts/other skates, and have lost the coating is some places. I will say however, they skates have stayed sharp quite awhile longer...

Zach