Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Karly14

Short and Long sticks in the NHL

Just out of curisosity im wondering which guys prefer what length of stick. I know Spezza, St. louis use longer sticks, and i know holmstrom, heatley, havlat and sundin use shorter sticks for their height. Have you guys noticed anybody else?

Kovalev is 6`2`` and he has a short stick. His shaft has a lenght of 48 inches.

Here is a bigger pic of my avatar showing how long is Kovalev stick :

kovalev_stick_tall.jpg

I think Datsyuk and Forsberg use a pretty short stick too.

I think you'll find that most (not all) of the best puckhandlers use shorter sticks. For longer sticks, look for defencemen and those that take a lot of slappers. Needless to say (but I'll say it anyway!), Chara has the longest stick in the NHL. I wasn't aware that Marty uses a longer stick, anyone have a photo verifying this?

kovalchuk, youre probably just not bending your knees as much when stickhandling witha short stick. I heard holsmtrom uses the shortest stick for his height in the NHL because its better to scoop up rebounds in front of the net, and its easier to know where your blade is to tip shots. Also, i went to team candas practices in ottawa this summer adn had sat in the first row, heatleys stick seemed abnormally short too

Lidstrom uses a really long one, but of course he's got that great poke check.

Zetterberg uses a really long stick for his height, I think it might even be as long as Lidstoms stick. I picked one of Zetterberg's up at hockeytown authentics and it was stiff too! had to be at least a 110. Housley was known for using a really short one, it comes up to his chest I think.

Is it just practce or what, but i find that i really "toe" the puck instead of putting my entire blade when im using a small stick.......

That's because the stick is too short for your posture or the lie is way too low. If you're using a really short stick you will generally use a much higher lie.

Owen Nolans sticks are unbelievably short. I'm always looking at them in the ACC and they are small for me (5'10)

There's a guy in the AHL with the Roadrunners, came from Guelph of the OHL. He's maybe 5'8 tops, they made him cut his stick a few inches because it was over the league maximum. I believe his stick was 6'8" now it's 6'6". I think his name is St.Denis, but I could be wrong on the name. Not a bad little player though.

how do you use a stick that goes over your head? does he have a 3 lie on the thing?

Especially a foot over your head....does the guy have one arm like 4x the size of the other or something?!

I hate when I see younger kids using an uncut Senior stick that is way too long for them. Then when I try to give them advice they just ignore it, lol. <_<

Owen Nolans sticks are unbelievably short. I'm always looking at them in the ACC and they are small for me (5'10)

There's a guy in the AHL with the Roadrunners, came from Guelph of the OHL. He's maybe 5'8 tops, they made him cut his stick a few inches because it was over the league maximum. I believe his stick was 6'8" now it's 6'6". I think his name is St.Denis, but I could be wrong on the name. Not a bad little player though.

When did they change the length? Last I heard it was still 63" or 65", more than a foot less than 6'-8"

St. Pierre, best known here for the length of his stick since attending rookie camp with the Edmonton Oilers last month - he totes 66 inches of lumber - wasn't even drafted in 2002, despite his 85 points with the Guelph Storm of the OHL in 2001-02.

Looks like you were right, I was thinking how 6'6" was big, even for him

I heard during a Sens-Rangers game this past season that Hossa was trying out a longer stick than he was used to. He really liked it. Think he pretty much used the longer stick for the remainder of the season, playoffs, and World Cup. He liked it cuz he said it gave him better control, and was better for him around then net. Felt the exta inches gave him a better reach. Also, The NHL made a bypass for Chara, his stick is actually beyond the legal limit. I believe they gave him an exception based on medical limitation...said the shorter sticks were horrible for his back and forearms. I think I head that part anyway. Leetch uses a really really small stick that thing is def. way below his chin, maybe mid-chest.

the story behind hossa's stick last season was everytime he got a new stick he kept cutting it a bit shorter, half way through the season he realized that his stick was becoming retarted short (if you look at mid season pics its tiny). he went back to the length he started with at the beggining of the season and liked it way better