Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katzenjammer

Replace Helmet After Concussion?

Hmm.. interesting. So it best to steer clear of used pro return helmets as you wouldn't know the history of the helmet, if its been banged up or not. Even if it hasn't, im sure all the little bumps here and there will have helped shorten the helmet's life.

I wouldn't buy a second hand motor racing helmet, and the chance of that copping a big shunt is a lot less than a hockey helmet. Dropping a helmet can cause damage to it, so better to buy new in my opinion and then you at least know the history of it.

You should change your helmet, that is the recommendation for your type of helmet(anything else is at your own risk). If you wear something like 4500 than its not mandatory, unless the plastic cracked.

I'd change the helmet. It might be a good time to look at the Cascade M-11 (Messier Inspired) helmet. I have it and it's worked out well for me.

I'd change the helmet. It might be a good time to look at the Cascade M-11 (Messier Inspired) helmet. I have it an it's worked out well for me.

After looking at all the Data on the M11 I would suggest not.oh crap...I edited this and now its not there!

Replace it. You should really replace any helmet after a signifigant impact: concussion or not. Chances are that even if you dont see a crack on the outside that the foam inside has had some damage to it and wont offer the protection that it originally did.

What did you see in the data??

Of course, their own data looks pretty good: http://www.themessierproject.com/thetruth/real-world-testing.html

:laugh:

As I said in my last post after editing.......it for some reason didnt load hence the reason there is no response.

Basically it does very well at high impacts but near the same as the claims at lower impacts! If the helmet fits well then use it. If it is not a very good fit and there is any doubt on fit at all go to something else.

Basically it does very well at high impacts but near the same as the claims at lower impacts!

not sure I understand - what do you mean by "high/low impacts" - within realistic game conditions?

What does "near the same as the claims" mean?

Do you have a reference you could post up?

Thanks fer yer help sir!

As someone using an M11, I'd love to see what you have for info, if you can find it again. Thanks in advance!

I do not have nor would i be able to post this info.

A high impact is above a certain amount of joules (not sure the exact numbers I think they have it on there website)

A low impact would be one under that.

In other words to make it simple if your just skating along coasting and your taken off your feet and knock your head on the ice that would be a low impact. A high impact would be skating into the corner to get the puck and another players nails you hard with say an illegal hit. They do well at those WHEN FIT WELL.

I am not saying in any way shape or form this is not a good helmet I am just not sold on the helmet myself.

Most, if not all hockey hits are low-impact.

Regardless, the info that Cascade has put out has been questioned by several in the industry. But, perception is reality...

Most, if not all hockey hits are low-impact.

Regardless, the info that Cascade has put out has been questioned by several in the industry. But, perception is reality...

I'm surprised there isn't an independant body that tests sports equipment and publishes results.

I do not have nor would i be able to post this info.

A high impact is above a certain amount of joules (not sure the exact numbers I think they have it on there website)

A low impact would be one under that.

In other words to make it simple if your just skating along coasting and your taken off your feet and knock your head on the ice that would be a low impact. A high impact would be skating into the corner to get the puck and another players nails you hard with say an illegal hit. They do well at those WHEN FIT WELL.

I am not saying in any way shape or form this is not a good helmet I am just not sold on the helmet myself.

My understanding is that they are marketing their helmet not on how it performs relative to the severity of the impact - but that it can sustain multiple impacts within a short period of time and still perform well (whereas, they claim, other helmets degrade precipitously.)