Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Katzenjammer

Replace Helmet After Concussion?

Suffered a concussion - nose bleed and all. Hospitalized and CAT scan etc. If I hadn't had my helmet on (a Bauer 9900), I would have cracked my head open.

The question is, there's no crack or anything - but I wonder if I should replace it given that it's had a pretty major impact?

I found this on another site...

Replace a Helmet After Impact

Hockey helmets use special polymers between the plastic outer shell and the inside lining, typically arranged in a honeycomb shape, to absorb impact and provide protection. During a typical hockey game, the polymers compress during impact and then quickly spring back to their original shape. During serious impacts like a direct strike from a hockey puck or stick, though, the polymers may crack or fail to return to their original configuration. Although helmets certified by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or the Hockey Equipment Certification Council (HECC) can, according to the Canada Safety Council, withstand several impacts, a severe impact--and especially one that results in a crack--should prompt the helmet's owner to replace it. Similarly, helmets that have been dropped, involved in accidents or otherwise exposed to impact while not in use should be immediately replaced.

I would.

The internal foam may be cracked or compacted and not be effective anymore.

Best of luck on the recovery.

I found this on another site...

Replace a Helmet After Impact

Hockey helmets use special polymers between the plastic outer shell and the inside lining, typically arranged in a honeycomb shape, to absorb impact and provide protection. During a typical hockey game, the polymers compress during impact and then quickly spring back to their original shape. During serious impacts like a direct strike from a hockey puck or stick, though, the polymers may crack or fail to return to their original configuration. Although helmets certified by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) or the Hockey Equipment Certification Council (HECC) can, according to the Canada Safety Council, withstand several impacts, a severe impact--and especially one that results in a crack--should prompt the helmet's owner to replace it. Similarly, helmets that have been dropped, involved in accidents or otherwise exposed to impact while not in use should be immediately replaced.

Thanks - just to be safe I'm going to replace it.

I would.

The internal foam may be cracked or compacted and not be effective anymore.

Best of luck on the recovery.

Thanks - yeah, I'm not going to mess around with this. To be on the safe side, I'm not returning to the ice until I'm 2 weeks completely without symptoms. I'll see how it goes.

The scary thing is, I don't remember the actual impact. I was in complete confusion for hours.

Anything with EPP in it should be replaced after a severe impact. I only wear helmets with VN and I've had concussions and haven't had to replace

I was hit from behind into the boards head first, in non-check mens league. Rocked me pretty good. Happened on a Tuesday. While getting ready for my game on Sunday I noticed my Bauer 9500 was split vertically from top to bottom and the EPP had been cracked on top of the head. I'd strongly recommend thoroughly looking over your helmet after a good hit. Don't know if i would replace it prophylactically, but in the evidence of obvious damage. My son used to play football. There is a lot of effort put into increased head protection in that sport. Hockey on the other hand seams to be completely obsessed with decreasing helmet weight.

Yy

I was hit from behind into the boards head first, in non-check mens league. Rocked me pretty good. Happened on a Tuesday. While getting ready for my game on Sunday I noticed my Bauer 9500 was split vertically from top to bottom and the EPP had been cracked on top of the head. I'd strongly recommend thoroughly looking over your helmet after a good hit. Don't know if i would replace it prophylactically, but in the evidence of obvious damage. My son used to play football. There is a lot of effort put into increased head protection in that sport. Hockey on the other hand seams to be completely obsessed with decreasing helmet weight.

Yy

Unless you have the technological capability to analyze the helmet after a big hit, you should replace it. It doesn't take a huge amount of force to start cracking and breaking the EPP and that makes the padding less useful for the second or third hit.

Interesting, I've never heard of this. I played the rest of the season with my helmet after I suffered a mild concussion on a terrible cheap shot.

Interesting, I've never heard of this. I played the rest of the season with my helmet after I suffered a mild concussion on a terrible cheap shot.

As other posters have mentioned, it may depend upon the time of foam/padding your helmet has.

This is not something to be fooled around with or take lightly - 1. get off the ice if you even suspect you have a concussion; and, 2. if you've suffered a severe impact replace the helmet. Not doing so to save $100 bucks or so is plain moronic.

As other posters have mentioned, it may depend upon the time of foam/padding your helmet has.

This is not something to be fooled around with or take lightly - 1. get off the ice if you even suspect you have a concussion; and, 2. if you've suffered a severe impact replace the helmet. Not doing so to save $100 bucks or so is plain moronic.

Of course. It happened almost six years ago now. I missed six weeks of the season from that hit. I was just saying I had never heard of replacing the helmet after a concussion, not that I purposely kept using it to save money.

Of course. It happened almost six years ago now. I missed six weeks of the season from that hit. I was just saying I had never heard of replacing the helmet after a concussion, not that I purposely kept using it to save money.

Sorry - I wasn't singling out you; just making a general statement for anyone reading. I'm still feeling a little weird - sorry if I came off wrong.

Any opinions on whether or not an M11 might need to replaced after a big hit, as long as it's not cracked?

I think that if any part of you is questioning the integrity of the helmet go ahead and replace it. I think the M11 was made to take multiple impacts but then again one hit in the right spot can render it useless

Sorry - I wasn't singling out you; just making a general statement for anyone reading. I'm still feeling a little weird - sorry if I came off wrong.

Don't worry about it. It's certainly a very serious issue and I am glad I know this now. Concussion science is constantly evolving and I think it's great that we have these forums to make sure everyone is up-to-date and aware of everything involving these injuries.

Any opinions on whether or not an M11 might need to replaced after a big hit, as long as it's not cracked?

It doesn't use EPP padding so it's much less of an issue. Inspect it to see if any of the plastic honeycomb is cracked.

So do players in the NHL replace their helmets regularly due to getting hit so frequently? Or do they just use VN foam instead of EPP?

Unless they're custom helmets, most of them appear to be models using EPP. I'd be willing to bet - given the high incidence of concussions and money involved - that they replace helmets fairly frequently; and certainly after a concussive event.

Through discussions here, I think a lot more pros are in the VN style helmets than EPP. Not that that means anything necessarily about the protection they offer.

I have used both and I prefer foam over EPP for fit and comfort. Results vary by head.

Through discussions here, I think a lot more pros are in the VN style helmets than EPP. Not that that means anything necessarily about the protection they offer.

I have used both and I prefer foam over EPP for fit and comfort. Results vary by head.

Interesting - going by my admittedly unscientific and cursory observation, it seemed to me to be otherwise. What are you basing this on?

It's usually about comfort vs protection. I was the same way with VN until the S19. Love that lid.

Like I said, just by reading this board for years it seems a lot of pros wear VN. Just looking through NHL photos you'll see a ton of 4500s, V08s and older CCMs, some 4Ks, some 5100s and so on.

But like MLSman it comes down to comfort. There are advantages to both types of helmets, but proper fit is the most important thing regardless of what the pros wear.