Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speed Demon

Music and Concentration

When I do homework that involves a lot of reading and/or writing, I always listen toinstrumentals and music without lyrics. I find that it is much too hard to concentrate with music that has words. Does anyone else find this?

i cant do homework or study with any noise. i get distracted very easily. so when i study, i got in my basement where the people use to live here had a sound proof room. so i go in there and do homework and study. its kinda nice in there.

when i do homework i listen to music. Really loud music but it doesnt bug me at all. I just sort of zoom out and am able to concentrate on the homework and in the back of mind i hear the music. Its really weird and i wonder if anyone else can do that.

I just went onto kazaa, typed in classical and relaxation, downloaded probably an hour and a half of just quiet piano, and I tells ya, it is pretty relaxing and helps me focus. I don't think I have ADD, but if it's some shit that doesn't interest me (school, work, etc) I can sit there and just zone out for 45 minutes or an hour in one massively long elaborate chain of though that doesn't really make sense. I'll look at a picture on my wall of kevin lowe, i'll think how sweet the oilers were, it reminds me of K-days at northlands, reminds me of the first time I went driving there and almost got in an accident, reminds me of cars, and shit just spirals from there, y'know? If I listen to some classical stuff I can concentrate somewhat.

hahahaha...I zone out in under 15 minutes listenin to some teachers teach...

I can't listen to anything now...before I'd listen to rap all the time and do my hw, but nowadays I have no way to block music out

I think its a fact that kids who listen to classical actually get slightly better grades or concetrate better. I find music to be relaxing, unless I have homework I really need to concetrate on. When I play my type of music when skating around, it just goes through my body and energizes me. Can't explain it really.

It's a fact, but it's a temporary boost - couple hours or something...then you have to recharge on the classical music juice.

i cant do homework or study with any noise. i get distracted very easily. so when i study, i got in my basement where the people use to live here had a sound proof room. so i go in there and do homework and study. its kinda nice in there.

I wish I had a room like that for whenever I got yelled at or got a lecture. I'd sit in and wait while the other person talked.

Someone from UofT came to my school to talk about this. He was a leader in the field of "does music make you smarter?". His reseach showed that music helps you if you listen BEFORE you do work or homework, as it acts as a stimulant.

when i do homework i listen to music. Really loud music but it doesnt bug me at all. I just sort of zoom out and am able to concentrate on the homework and in the back of mind i hear the music. Its really weird and i wonder if anyone else can do that.

Same here, i concentrate so much better listening to some loud music.

Someone from UofT came to my school to talk about this. He was a leader in the field of "does music make you smarter?". His reseach showed that music helps you if you listen BEFORE you do work or homework, as it acts as a stimulant.

it depends on what kind of music. i think if you listen to mozart, which tends to be quite happy, jovial, colorful and what not, you get put in a better mood and are able to concentrate more, however, if you listen to say... funeral march, you will become more depressed and stressed and you won't be able to concentrate as much.

Someone from UofT came to my school to talk about this.  He was a leader in the field of "does music make you smarter?".  His reseach showed that music helps you if you listen BEFORE you do work or homework, as it acts as a stimulant.

it depends on what kind of music. i think if you listen to mozart, which tends to be quite happy, jovial, colorful and what not, you get put in a better mood and are able to concentrate more, however, if you listen to say... funeral march, you will become more depressed and stressed and you won't be able to concentrate as much.

No....remember the guy said that they tested it with the same piece at different tempos and in major and minor keys, and it didn't make a difference? Or maybe, the minor keys did make a difference, but it was very marginal. Meh, I can't remember :P

I agree with the first guy, musical scores work better than songs with words. I quite like the Matrix Reloaded score (film sucked but hey) - any kind of trance will just sorta work well in the background because it allows my mind to sort of drift and back-process the information. I've just started studying again after a year's break (graduated in 2003), only a small home study course, but I'm already finding it hard to concentrate. I've discovered hockey, and now I just can't be arsed to work.