Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stampede

Rocker Chassis

It makes a huge difference for me. I personally couldnt skate with a traditional Hi-lo setup, and I love the rocker chassis.

I agree. Personally I could not skate on a standard Hi-Lo, or flat frame. The rocker definately mimics an ice blade well.

chris

Right, different wheel setups would feel different because it would change how much rocker it actually has. I skate on a straight 76 mm setup which mimics the tuuk ice holder that I use.

I use them on my Nike Hi-hos and my Bauer Vapor 10s. Both of them feel the same for me.

Here is a chart of what wheel setups correspond to what Ice holder radius'-

wsall5gi.th.gif

Im glad I found this topic, I just bought the rocker chassis's and have not yet had them mounted. I currently play on ice 4-6 times a week, and oncea week,if that inline. I bought the rocker's because they were $4.99 on hockeygiant, and couldnt pass them up. I will be getting them mounted today now that I have read all of the pro's and con's.

I have the rockers mounted on a pair of Bauer 8090's. I use all 76mm wheels as well, because it is the closest feeling to my Easton Air ice skates which are radiused at 9 feet. The rockers are not for everyone, but if you switch between the two it will definately make it easier with the transition.

chris

For those of you that had the aftermarket composite rockers installed on their boots, did your installer have problems with them? Any tips/tricks needed for the install?

I recently had some installed at a LHS. They cracked the material near the holes. They said it was because they needed to install the rivets at an angle. Supposedly, there wasn't enough side clearance for the rivet machine to install straight in. Additionally, they drilled holes in the middle of the chassis (hidden by the wheels) at the forefoot and heel for better stability. They're a good bunch of guys who have treated me well in the past and didn't charge me for the install, so I didn't complain. I didn't pay much for the chasis and I was just experimenting with them, so it was no big deal.

I've only skated on them a couple of times so far, but I like them. I play on ice and it seems to be a good alternative for dry land training.

Sorry was talking to the guy who had problems mounting them.

One of the boys on our team has had them on vectors and tacks and has had some issues.

A guy brought in some old low-end Nikes and there wasn't room to mount the rockers on them. The heel as too narrow and the rivets would have been into the padding on the side of boot.

I've installed them on two pair of Nike (V12 and I can't remember the other) and didnt have any problems, luckily.

These were really cheap old Nike inlines.

For those who have used both the hi-lo and the rocker, is there a huge difference in terms of strides? I really like the rocker chasis, but I dont' know if I can find any cheap ones now that they're becoming less and less likely to find....

For those who have used both the hi-lo and the rocker, is there a huge difference in terms of strides? I really like the rocker chasis, but I dont' know if I can find any cheap ones now that they're becoming less and less likely to find....

There is a definate difference in the strides between a flat frame (hi-lo), and the Rocker. You can lengthen your radius on the rockers to more closely mimic flat frame technology, but then why bother using the Rocker frame at all.

The Rockers stride just like an ice hockey skate, the way you can get up on your toes to push off, and lean back when turning are incredibly similar to your ice stride. Because of the shorter wheelbase they are extremely quick turning, and the transition to acceleration is smooth, and quick. The only real disadvantage is when stopping you only have three wheels making contact not four. I think the advantages outweigh that disadvantage though, and personally would not use anything else.

chris

ps- I have skated flat frames, Hi-Lo's, Eastons Big wheel, even the old V-forms, and for me the Rocker was the best fit.

Sweet, thanks for the response guys, thats what i needed to know, i switch from ice to roller quite a bit, and have skated on nothing else but the Rocker for the past few years, never tried out the hi-lo's, but i don't think i will now....at least not yet

What boots have you had them mounted on?

(Sorry I didn't see this post until now. I checked back for a few days after the original post, then forgot all about it).

Koho 2260. There was enough surface area on the sole so that the chasis base was not hanging off the sides of the sole. However, the installer said there was not enough space between the hole and the frame where he can push straight down on the rivet. The part of the machine that makes contact with the rivet starts off thin, then it gets wider a little further up. (I don't know the name of the part, so I'll just call it the "pusher"). That particular section was too wide and rubbed against the chasis and effectively pushed the contact point to the outer side of the rivet. He said they don't have problems with ice holders because of the way the holder tapers from the base to the blade--the wide part of the "pusher" is high enough where it doesn't come in contact with the holder.

If a boot was upside down with the blade or wheels facing up, the view from the back of the skate looks like this

Ice skate: / \| <--- angle of rivet

Roller: | |/ <--- angle of rivet

I currently play ice hockey and was thinking of getting some inline skates for fitness and to work on my stride. I was thinking getting the new Mission He5500 and putting the Tuuk rockers.

Anyone have any idea if its possible/good idea?

Thanks!!

What are your opinions on a kid who only has access to inline now using a tuuk rocker chasis to increase his chances of transitioning to ice in high school and college? It sounds like the rocker chasis, and specifically the tuuk, is about the only real way to even remotely simulate ice hockey on wheels. Did this make any sense?? Right now the kid is using Mission Hi-Lo's. Should we stay with the Missions and Hi-Lo's or dive into the realm of "custom" skates?? The long term goal being to break into the ice hockey world and achieving as high a level as luck and talent will allow.

If yes on the Tuuk, where do I go from here?????

Thanks

if your goal is to work on your ice hockey via inline, the Rocker is a great tool..it takes some time to dial in ,etc..but when if you have a hard time going back and forth between the 2 with layoffs etc...its a godsend

The kid is basically just learning, so right now would be great time, it seems, to introduce somthing like this because no real habits have been formed yet.

I have always been a supporter of the Rocker frames. If the kid's goal is to one day move on to ice hockey, than I think the Rockers would be a good choice. I rarely play on ice, but skate at least three games a week on the Rockers. When I do play a pick up game or something on ice, it is a very easy transition for me, it honestly feels no different. I just recently tried a pair of Tour Hummer skates, after skating on rockers for the better part of the last 4 years, and I could not believe how restrictive they felt. You couldn't get up on your toes, or back on your heels, it was very awkward.

Like I say if Ice is the goal, than definately check the Rockers out. If Ice may, or may not happen, than maybe go with a more conventional frame like the Hi-Lo, or Hummer.

chris

Ps- If you do try the Rockers give it a little time, they are different than HiLo's, and take a little getting used to. Similar to the way he would feel if you just stuck him on a pair of rockered ice skates for the first time.

Okay, so now where do I start? What companies have rocker chassi's stock? Do I need to buy parts and peices and have custom skates made?