Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

Airing out Hockey gear?

The lads and I had a big argument after training lastnight about airing out your gear or not. I personally prefer it as I cannot stand getting into wet gear at the begining of a session. But then theres Stu our GK who lets his pads sit in his bag all week and they are still wet on Sunday night from use on Tues night!

YUCK!

My player pads are dry in daylight after about 1-3 hours or so... Especially in summer when the temp is mid 30's to mid 40's.

Anyone else prefer to Air it out? Are there any factual pros and cons to it?

Im sure the idiots that don't air out there stuff will realize you were correct when all of the rivets on their skates are rusted out while yours are in good shape.

I usually dont air out my gloves or skates. My gloves get crusty if they get too hot (in the summer). I just dry my skates off before I put them in my bag, if I let them sit out when its hot they get hard on the inside.

I usually dont air out my gloves or skates. My gloves get crusty if they get too hot (in the summer). I just dry my skates off before I put them in my bag, if I let them sit out when its hot they get hard on the inside.

...That's why you let them air out inside at room temperature.

That's very important to air your equipment. My personal preference is to have dry skates because I play without socks.

Man!....How can you play in bare feet? Thats seriously scary, I've never gotten blisters before in skates does that give you blisters to begin with?

@ Aussie: a lot of guys on this board (including his majesty JR) and a lot of pros skate barefoot. If a skate fits you right there is no problem with blisters. The only problem with skating barefoot is maintenance of the skates because it can be dangerous if you don't take care of them then.

I for my part have never skated barefoot but I couldn't imagine that I'd like it. Maybe I'll give it a try one day.

The sole reason I don't skate barefoot is that my skates just start to smell too bad...

literally, if they were next to me airing out I felt like passing out

Aussie - wearing socks and ill-fitting skates will cause blisters.

I don't skate bare anymore - I haven't in a year, but before that, I always did and never had a blister.

You stopped because of the health hazards right JR? I'm a barefoot guy as well, I forgot my socks a game or two in a row and haven't looked back.

That's very important to air your equipment. My personal preference is to have dry skates because I play without socks.

Man!....How can you play in bare feet? Thats seriously scary, I've never gotten blisters before in skates does that give you blisters to begin with?

I play in bare feet and I honestly couldn't imagine wearing a pair of socks. You will not get blisters if your skates fit you properly, it's just that simple. When you play with no socks, you have an incredible feel for the ice, playing with socks makes me feel like i'm driving a minivan but player barefoot makes me feel like i'm driving a Ferrari.

My skates don't even smell that bad because I air them out after every time i'm on the ice and I take the insoles out.