Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

farhanshak

2011-2012 Maple Leafs general discussion thread

thought this would be a good start for all the leaf fans on here.

was watching todays game between the red wings and the leafs and Reimer's play really stood out (not in a good way). I am not sure if this is just a matter of his timing, but he looked like he was out of position on all the goals that were scored and was overplaying the puck alot.

definitely not knocking him, as I have been watching him with the marlies and he is a good goaltender, I hope he can have a good season.

lets start it up.

Reimer will be the make or break on the Leafs this year. If he plays good, I got them making the playoffs, if not, they don't really have a chance.

didn't really have many other options .. Gigeure was medicore at best, "The Monster" was more of a monstrosity, Remier was the only bright spot on a whole team of mediocrity ....

didn't really have many other options .. Gigeure was medicore at best, "The Monster" was more of a monstrosity, Remier was the only bright spot on a whole team of mediocrity ....

No, they don't have any other choices, which is why it's all on him or they fall into the bottom 3 in the east.

was the first period as bad as it sounded as far as montreal dominating?

as well it was nice to see Kessel skating hard both ways and i caught a bit of him trying to beat an icing.

Glad the season got off to a start.

That Steckel Trade may turn out to be a great great great depth trade if he can keep up his performances on the faceoffs.

Farhan, it was as bad as it sounded. The Leafs were badly outplayed in the first, but picked it up as the game went on. I'm not a Leafs fan by any stretch, but I will say, even in that one game, they looked miles more comfortable than last season's squad.

Also, Steckel played a great game for them. Always liked Steckel, and although I don't like his current team, I hope he continues to play that way and earn himself some respect.

I got to watch most of the game last night...i remember telling someone that Toronto can't mail it in even with a lead that big. They have to keep pressing or Ottawa is going to come back.

I was very surprised with how well Bozak and Kessel played together last night. Every single time Bozak was getting the puck to Kessel it was in full flight. I wonder if Ron Wilson keeps playing Bozak with Kessel if they keep putting up points and Chemistry like that.

Another thing is, maybe it was just the team they were playing against or a one off?

Great game to watch, back and forth.

Phil Kessel 5 goals on 11 shots, 8 pts, +7 through 3 games. Guy is absolutely killing it right now, I hope it lasts and he can go through less of his 5-6 game stretches where you can't even tell he's on the ice

If Kessel can stay consistent, the leafs stand a very good chance at making the playoffs. The problem was only having one line last year that was consistent throughout the season at putting points on the board.

The way that line is playing right now, I'm not sure I would put Connolly in there right away.

Hmm...long time, long suffering Leaf fan here...I have seen many fast starts over the years, and I don't think this one is any different.

Last year we won the first 4 games, and everyone was planning the parade.

Weaknesses abound on this team:

1. Powerplay is abysmal - 16% effective
  2. Penalty kill is weak - 77.25%
  3. Goalie..no real #2 goalie. As for Reimer, 2nd year let down is vey common.
  4. Kessel will not stay this hot...no way, no how
  5. Still no real #1 center

We will see how this all plays out but it rings of other years where we have gotten out of the gate with a big bang.

The only thing I can see being different from last year is that at least this year there is a definite number 1 line and goalie. Now will either of those stay as hot as they are now, not likely, but even if both Reimer and the top line can stay consistent, they might sneak in the playoffs, which to be honest is all I want this year.

The only thing I can see being different from last year is that at least this year there is a definite number 1 line and goalie.

I don't think either of those things have been established yet. Last year, the best line was the Grabovski line. 6 games in does not make definite.

I like Reimer, and it looks good so far, but he needs to prove he can be consistent over a full season.

It is an early season, but thus far that's my observation. Not to mention, Reimer being number 1 has been established by the team, which is a lot different than last year.

I must say, though the leafs lost. I thought they played a really good game. Had a few mistakes and a team like Philly are going to make you pay for them. The leafs showed they can play with one of the best in the east and are still young and learning, but as long as they can learn from their mistakes, they seem to be headed in the right direction.......god I haven't said that since the lockout.

one of my concerns is with the power play and penalty kill. Is this more so a matter of players still trying to learn the new system that the assistant coaches are bringing in?

it seemed as though in the "preseason" they were moving the puck well, however, in the games I have seen they just seem to be standing there.

any thoughts or insights on this from anyone.