Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kirkomlett1

New York Rangers 2011/2012 discussion.

Marc Staal in peak condition IS the Rangers best DEFENSEman. I say DEFENSE because his game has not evolved offensively. You can't say his game now is what is game was or will be; he's basically walking injured.

With that said, Marc Staal is NOT top 10 in the NHL. Top 10 in the NHL are 50+ pt getters that play both PP and PK as well as 20ish mins a game. Staal is NOT that player, and in my opinion will never be. You're basically comparing him to guys like Niedermeyer, Pronger, Lidstrom, Chara, Boyle, Keith. Staal is NOT any of those players and I argue, will never be. He is a top 4 Dman on every team, but on a team with any of the guys mentioned above, he is #2 or 3, shut down guy.

I am a Ranger fan, and no I don't hate Staal. I call it like I see it. I think the numbers speak for themselves.

Thank you I have been waiting for someone else to chime in on this. But I never said he was top ten in the league I just said he was the NYR best defenseman and that he was overrated.

You have to be on drugs if you think Staal is the top defenseman on the team. He's not better than McDonagh and he's nowhere near better than Girardi.

I agree with you on one point. Girardi is definitely superior to Staal. It kinda shows that maybe last season, it was Girardi that was carrying the pair. We should be happy that we have guys like Girardi, McD, DelZotto, Sauer and Staal. Tremendous depth on Defense but we are in dire need of a bomb from the point. I'm still praying that DelZotto morphs into Brian Leetch Jr.....

Staal right now is no where near where he has been.

Is he the fastest defenseman we have? Nope. But, aside from this year, he has always been the defenseman who is best on his edges, always making the "right" stride, always being smart and in tune with his body and how it should move. This makes up for his average speed, and gives him an advantage when he get's into his own zone.

As for top 10 NHL defensemen having to be 50+ pt players, well that's sort of hard when only 9 had 50 or more points last year and 7 the year before. Pts by defensemen in general are trailing down, as the NHL has become an uber north-south league, with too little offensive zone lateral puck movement or deliberate setups/cycles to allow for many big point getters. That's something that makes guys like MDZ all the more special. Staal may not be a top 10 offensive defenseman, but he is one of the best shutdown guys in the game who can also contribute from time to time. Getting 25 to 30 pts from him a year is all we need, especially with MDZ.

Staal may not level people or deliver big hits consistently, but that doesn't mean he isn't incredibly physical. His physicality is in out-working you, out-positioning you in his own zone, and using his body to keep you away from the puck.

The past 4 years have been filled with great hockey, to give all of Staal's credit to Girardi is pretty ridiculous. A. they haven't played together for all 4 years, and B. Danny has been highly average, prior to this season. I always liked his game, but never as a top end guy, he's always been a solid second pairing defenseman who at times would try to force pucks through the middle when the pass wasn't there.

Staal right now doesn't look comfortable at all on his edges. His skating is weak, he's not just playing, but rather reacting to what's going on around him and as a result, he looks bad. Honestly though, if you expected him to come back and be the same player of the last 4 years, you were kidding yourself. Generally speaking, guys don't come back after sitting out for 6 months with no work outs and no preseason and make an impact. Especially on the defensive side of the puck. I'm hoping that come playoff time, he will have his legs back a bit, and will be able to step up, but anything before that is just extra at this point.

Quite honestly, this team is 1st in the east and complaining about Marc Staal, because Joe likes to blow smoke up his ass (like he does everyone really...) is just looking for something to complain about. Rangers fans should be celebrating this team right now, something special is happening, this team has a real chance to win something and right now, even when they aren't playing at their best, even when their top 6 isn't producing, still goes out and competes on every shift, wins most of their battles, and wins. Is it without faults? Nope. We need another top 6, scoring LW'er bad, but right now it's time to embrace this squad and enjoy them, teams like this (or rather, seasons like this) do not come around very often, especially for us Rangers fans.

Rangers will not win The Cup without a true stud Dman and a working PP. Think of every team that has won the Cup in recent memory, and you quickly come up with at least 1 stud on the point that plays PP and PK, plays a shut down role,

and plays big minutes. Every Ranger D has some but not all of those qualities.

Chara, Keith, Boyle, Lidstrom, heck Ill even give props to Tanger when Pitt won it.

Its a glaring shortcoming of the Rangers and they know it and have tried to but failed in addressing it. Guys have stepped up this season, no doubt, but you're hoping for a lot when you ask MDZ or Girardi or McDonaugh or Staal to be Nick Lidstrom for a long playoff run. Not happening.

Rangers will not win The Cup without a true stud Dman and a working PP. Think of every team that has won the Cup in recent memory, and you quickly come up with at least 1 stud on the point that plays PP and PK, plays a shut down role,

and plays big minutes. Every Ranger D has some but not all of those qualities.

Chara, Keith, Boyle, Lidstrom, heck Ill even give props to Tanger when Pitt won it.

Its a glaring shortcoming of the Rangers and they know it and have tried to but failed in addressing it. Guys have stepped up this season, no doubt, but you're hoping for a lot when you ask MDZ or Girardi or McDonaugh or Staal to be Nick Lidstrom for a long playoff run. Not happening.

A point doesn't have to be a defenseman. In theory, if our pp ever starts to click, Richards is the point man with the ability to make something happen, that's how he was used in Dallas and in Tampa before.

I think with another skilled winger, a real one, not a Wolski or Christensen or some other re-tread, we have a more balanced attack and will be able to better fill a PP line. The fact that John is trying to work a guy like Brandon Dubinsky in there on the first unit tells you all you need to know.

If I was a Ranger fan, I would be worried about the next couple months. Torts system is physically draining and takes its toll over the course of the season.

The Rangers are the best conditioned team in hockey according to torts. I think we were a LEGIT cup contender if we puck up a top 6 forward who's gonna score goals its simple as that. Our defense if fine

The Rangers are the best conditioned team in hockey according to torts. I think we were a LEGIT cup contender if we puck up a top 6 forward who's gonna score goals its simple as that. Our defense if fine

They may be in great condition, but how many guys got hurt blocking shots over the last couple years?

I think that as far as conditioning goes, as long as Hank is rested and we have a healthy Gaborik then we'll be alright. Now, a top 6 LW is definitely needed. Anisimov worked for a while but as Torts said, the GAS line went dry. Stepan will continue to improve and has really gelled with Gaby. Just gotta bring on someone to click with them both now.

The thing that you have to love about Hagelin is that he has the work ethic to succeed on a third line but the skill set to potentially be a good 2nd liner, and he's incredibly heady. I love heady players, and when you have one like him who has speed, hands and some tenacity, you get a perfect player for a torts system.

The thing that you have to love about Hagelin is that he has the work ethic to succeed on a third line but the skill set to potentially be a good 2nd liner, and he's incredibly heady. I love heady players, and when you have one like him who has speed, hands and some tenacity, you get a perfect player for a torts system.

def like hag. hoping he has a good 2nd half

Vezina + Hart = Lundqvist

At leas the Vezina. He's been absolutely the best goalie in the league both in terms of what he means to his team and his physical numbers. If there's a goalie who deserves a Hart more than Lundqvist though, I can't think of him.

McIlrath and Dubinsky or Anisimov + a high pick would be a good deal, but I really want a guy to work with Ritchie. We need a legitimate LW'r who is creative and can score. Our PP needs it and our 2nd line really needs it.

McIlrath and Dubinsky or Anisimov + a high pick would be a good deal, but I really want a guy to work with Ritchie. We need a legitimate LW'r who is creative and can score. Our PP needs it and our 2nd line really needs it.

Why? Next season we'll have Kreider at LW.

What this team has been lacking for years is a true bomb from the point. Weber has it. We have the shutdown D with Girardi/Staal/Sauer/McDonagh. Now we need someone who can drop bombs.

I would hate to see Dubi go. Anisimov I could really care less. It seems that ever since the "Celebration" incident against Tampa, he's gone down the drain.

Weber is one of the top 3 D in the show and he has more points then pretty much all the rangers, but his contract is a major concern. He will cost a lot to trade for and the rumors are that he wants to sign in Western Canada when free to do so. It's one thing to send major assets to Nashville if Weber will be here for a long time. It's not worth the price if he's in NY just for 1 1/2 years.

If were gonna make a trade it should be for Ryan.